Sponsored by:

2016 ultra limited HOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 PM
tionestat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 ultra limited HOT

proud owner of new ultra limited with about 3000mi. This thing is burning my thigh.. never had a problem on my 07 SG and its not even summer yet. The only mod I've done is screaming eagle mufflers and fulsac #2 baffles. Anyone else had issues, please tell me I haven't leaned this out by putting in the baffles

Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tionestat
proud owner of new ultra limited with about 3000mi. This thing is burning my thigh.. never had a problem on my 07 SG and its not even summer yet. The only mod I've done is screaming eagle mufflers and fulsac #2 baffles. Anyone else had issues, please tell me I haven't leaned this out by putting in the baffles
These will help richen your bike up if you do not plan on any other mods like cams etc..;

http://sales.nightrider.com/2016_c_194.html

Old 03-14-2016, 09:17 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

You need to add a stage one tuner or do a stage one download. Between the added fuel and putting a few more miles on your bike the heat issues will disappear. I own a 14 Limited, don't even think about heat issues. It's great.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:25 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Since I still have the Catalyst in my exhaust and I am NOT getting the Heat Treatment you say that you are. My best guess is that the Bike is running to Rich. There are more than enough "Urban Legends" who don't know WTF they are talking about who may/will advise you that you are running to lean and must go richer. Since other than the Mufflers the system appears from your description to be stock, this will NOT be the case. On a stock system, such as it seems you have, any extra fuel, exiting the exhaust valve, from running overly Rich will get burned in the Catalyst. That is what a Catalyst is designed to do and that is exactly what it WILL do. More fuel burned in the Catalyst (that wasn't burned in the combustion chamber because it is too rich) means more heat in the Catalyst (600*F+). An analogy would be that; If you put more logs on the fire . . . you will get a bigger fire. The real question is; why is it running rich enough to overheat the Catalyst, but whatever the problem is, it's not enough of a problem (yet anyway) to set a Trouble Code. (You don't say anything about a Check Engine Light so I'm assuming that it is not coming on when the engine is running.) The possibilities are almost without end, and on this forum I am sure . . . No . . . I can absolutely and positively guarantee you, that many possibilities will be offered. IMHO, rather than going on an almost endless and also what can easily become a rather extensive version of a Motorcycle repair Easter Egg Hunt; replacing this, that and the other thing (this is known in the trade as diagnosis by "Parts Changing") . . . I'd start by allowing someone who is actually knowledgeable about these systems and who also has access to, and knows how to use a full function bi-directional Scan Tool. Either Harley's proprietary system or something like an aftermarket version (and there are many) such as an MS351-HD with the appropriate J1850, and CAN Bus Cables.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 03-14-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:25 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
These will help richen your bike up if you do not plan on any other mods like cams etc..;

http://sales.nightrider.com/2016_c_194.html

Mine just showed up in the mail today. They've been great to deal with so far. I can't wait to get them in the bike.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Since I still have the Catalyst in my exhaust and I'm NOT getting the Heat Treatment you say that you are. My best guess is that the Bike is running to Rich. The extra fuel from running to Rich will get burned in the Catalyst. More fuel burned in the Catalyst (that wasn't burned in the combustion chamber because it is too rich) means more heat in the Catalyst. The real question is; why is it running rich enough to overheat the Catalyst, but whatever the problem is it's not enough (yet) to set a Trouble Code. The possibilities are almost without end, and on this forum I am sure many possibilities will be offered. Rather than going on an almost endless and also rather extensive version of an Easter Egg Hunt replacing this, that and the other thing . . . I'd start by allowing someone who is actually knowledgeable about these systems and who also has access to, and knows how to use a full function bi-directional Scan Tool. either Harley's proprietary system or something like the MS351-HD with the appropriate J1850, and CAN Bus Cables.

OR you can simply remove the cat by installing a aftermarket head-pipe or de-cat yours and install a set of these XIEDs like so many, many others on here have. You will be cooling the bike down and it will run a bit stronger. I have done this to my previous 2010 Limited and even now with the water cooled heads on my 2014. They simply work!

Old 03-14-2016, 09:33 PM
mikedanben
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default THis

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
Mine just showed up in the mail today. They've been great to deal with so far. I can't wait to get them in the bike.
I run them on my 2013 Ultra and ran them on my 2007 softail with no other mod than no converter. They are fantastic and work.
Between this and trading out the headers to eliminate the Catalytic converters.....fixed the problem and the bike is great.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedanben
I run them on my 2013 Ultra and ran them on my 2007 softail with no other mod than no converter. They are fantastic and work.
Between this and trading out the headers to eliminate the Catalytic converters.....fixed the problem and the bike is great.
Great to hear. I have a HD heavy breather, decated headpipe, freedom mufflers, and a stage one flash. I got the new FL-XiED-10's. They are a little more adjustable then the ViEDs, so they should do the trick.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 PM
tionestat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done nothing but ride it, only had it for about 6 weeks and trying my damnedest to keep my fingers out of it. Would like to eliminate the cat but don't want to void the warranty. I really hate to have any work done by the moco because all you get are lies that the mechanics are told to tell. (never seen that before, what recall, this is a first) but that may be my only option this heat is just unacceptable especially for a wet head

Old 03-14-2016, 11:10 PM
muddmann
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

They do run hot, more so than any other Harley than I have ever owned. My outer primary gets too hot to touch. I am just waiting until my 1000 mile service, then I will do something (tuner, etc)

Quick Reply: 2016 ultra limited HOT