Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Road Glide Special new to me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts
Default 2015 Road Glide Special new to me.

This is my first look/impression since buying it. Other than it being beautiful it has alot of amazing properties. Lets start with some impressions. With the stock windshield on the shark, i have zero buffeting with the upper vent open with a FF helmet on. You have wind noise but you don't have any helmet vibration. The brake system on this bike is overkill and i like it. As heavy as this machine is the linked and ABS brake system requires little to know effort to bring this bike to a stop quick. Coming from a Sportster, this thing is a rocket ship. I don't need a stage 1.

I have a co-worker who owns a 2007 Road Glide sit on it and he was amazed at the balance. The first time i entered a decent sweeper after leaving the dealer i said OMG this thing handles better than my Sportster. With that big fairing on front i never expected the awesome handling at highway or parking lot speed. Glides through the turns is a great description. This bike has no handling issues at parking lot speeds for me at least. First gear is a great creeping gear. The Boombox 6.5 system is awesome. It has more than i need as my two favorite things are music and GPS.

Being able to remove the left bag and adjust the suspension without tools is also great. The premium shocks are great. The stock seat seems fine for me but if my wife wants to ride longer ranges i'll have to upgrade for her. Must haves for me are highway pegs. I just prefer legs to be outstretched when on the cruise. I also will be getting her a sissybar/backrest combo otherwise she might fly off the back if i open this bitch up.

Although this bike is heavy its not a burden in city traffic. I keep saying balance and this bike is effortless to hold up once off the jiffy stand. The gear ranges compared to my Sportster are well nothing alike. Cruising in 2nd gear at 35mph is about 3000 RPMS. No need to even consider shifting out of 4th until you pass 60. This bike is designed to go fast at low RPMS on the interstate. No need to touch 6th until you pass 70mph.

I've ridden the Rushmore Street Glides. They handle nothing like the RG even though its the same basic platform. I don't even notice the frame mounted fairing when i'm riding other than i know the steering is lighter. There is no negative to a frame mounted fairing over one mounted to the forks. When i go through a 90 degree turn i don't look at he fairing that doesn't turn i look at the road. When you are at speed its all lean and no bar turn so again you don't even notice the fairing.

My co-worker said in his opinion that Rushmore Road Glide Special/Ultra is arguably the best touring bike HD makes. I have no clue personally speaking. I just know i love this bike and how it performs. I would say if your looking to buy a RG go for he Special or Ultra for ABS and Security and the larger Boom Box system. ABS is a no brainer. My advice is if your looking to buy a Rushmore bagger is to test ride them all. Ride the RG even if you think its ugly the performance and handling might change your mind.

I got a ride in today in hellish winds but well the 6 day rainy season seems to start tomorrow. But WTH getting an ride off a near 70F in March in Ohio is well uncommon. Its still winter here .

The following 3 users liked this post by Wildon883R:
allen6747 (03-08-2016), Captnpirate (03-08-2016), MoRider (03-12-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I think you like your RGS! I'd agree with most of what you wrote, especially the handling, but I'm not that impressed with the Boom Box. Obviously more people choose the Street Glide, probably for looks or tradition. Personally I like the looks of my RGS better than a Bat Wing model, but I'm in the minority and that's fine. A friend of mine road tested a RGU at Daytona last weekend and said it sucked. To each his own. The Touring models are all good. Enjoy your new scoot & ride safe!

Old 03-08-2016, 07:24 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

I rode both before i purchased my 2016 SG. I liked both and the RG seem to handle and steer easier than the SG but it just did not fit me like the batwing. The sharknose seem to far away and the wind protection just didnt seem that great for me. Both bikes look great so the looks wasnt my issue. I have rode for 35 years(dirt and street) with no abs so that wasnt important to me but do wish i had the 6.5 boom box

Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the "shark side"! Your appreciation will only get better mile by mile...

Old 03-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Tomspo04
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am absolutely in love with my 2016 RGS, EXCEPT the boom box. Navigation and options/controls are fine, but the stereo? IMO, Is very substandard...I don't even like listening to it.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded off my 09 RG for the 2016 FLTRU its heavy in weight but seems to be lighter and lower clarence. Night and day between the 2 sharks. I have found when opening the fearing vents in a wind there is less resistance . I'm still braking it in for the 500 miles which is around 250 left to go. Its all ready chromed with the arilon collection the dealer swapped out from my 09 for the stock .

Old 03-09-2016, 06:09 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

CONGRAT & WELCOME to the "TANK"!

There's a reason why the "Tank" is filling up quickly.....

YB

Old 03-09-2016, 06:36 AM
BILLL1121
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

2016 CVO RGU.. Can't say enough about how well it handles. Going to move the handle bars about an inch or two forward and that is it

Old 03-09-2016, 06:43 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Nice write up on your RG.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:24 AM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I just took delivery of mine yesterday and my feelings are the same as most of yours. Love the shark!

Quick Reply: 2015 Road Glide Special new to me.