Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp gauge on a Rushmore

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:24 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Have a RK so no gauges but after looking into an oil temp gauges for sometime and playing around with options in my head, I settled for the HD oil level/temperature LED dipstick. Really happy with it.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:56 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,155 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
Have a RK so no gauges but after looking into an oil temp gauges for sometime and playing around with options in my head, I settled for the HD oil level/temperature LED dipstick. Really happy with it.
That's what I did on my Rushmore. After the first one failed in less than 36 hours, the replacement is still working fine 22 months later.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:08 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Nobody has EVER had an oil temperature problem until they install an oil temperature gauge.

I ride in 105บ+ San Antonio stop and go traffic and have had zero issues.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:51 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I installed an oil temp gauge and the reliability of the gauge was poor. It also provided no information that was of value IMO. If you have the proper level of oil and an oil cooler, then ride it without worry. I cannot recall of a problem on this forum that was adverted by an oil temp gauge.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:03 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
I installed an oil temp gauge and the reliability of the gauge was poor. It also provided no information that was of value IMO. If you have the proper level of oil and an oil cooler, then ride it without worry. I cannot recall of a problem on this forum that was adverted by an oil temp gauge.
No, but I like gauges and other gagets+I think it looks cool. That empty spot was crying out to put something there.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:18 PM
Nickblink
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Misc,

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Nobody has EVER had an oil temperature problem until they install an oil temperature gauge.

I do agree with you, although I have the digital gauges, I think they look cool and the cylinder temp and oil gauges are very accurate. The Oil sensor is installed into the oil pan (.1% accuracy) and the cylinder sensor is from the front cylinder the sends the info to the ecu module.

Oil temp gauge on a Rushmore-image.jpeg

Old 03-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,296 Likes on 529 Posts

100% agree. I do have a question for those that have a Gage, at what oil temp do you stop riding?

Old 03-07-2016, 06:45 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
That's what I did on my Rushmore. After the first one failed in less than 36 hours, the replacement is still working fine 22 months later.
Glad to hear its still going 22 months later after the first failure. I do remember reading the early versions used to have issues. (by early I mean many years ago not a year or two)
I like it even more then I thought I would. I like gadgets that tell me what my engine is doing, doesnt matter if its a car, truck, boat or bike.

Anyway, its also cool to know your oil level at the push of a button .... and .... the summers where I am, for a good strong, almost 4 months that you NEVER see the daytime high lower then 90 degrees. Depending on the temps I see this year, I MAY get into a small project to install a fan on the oil cooler. Depending on time, I may do that no matter what, for the fun of it.

Ps. I did try an oil filled analog gauge last year from a respected person who markets and sells them for HDs. The quality was nice but the oil in the gauge almost leaked from day one, so returned it for a refund, also was kind of funky to check the oil level.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-08-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:53 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cobra1
100% agree. I do have a question for those that have a Gage, at what oil temp do you stop riding?
Fun factor, some like to know what the engine is doing. Some put oil coolers on, some put oil cooler fans on, some put engine fans on. Some get stuck when their bike overheats in a forced shut down. Some make sure that never happens, some ride in temp extremes that much of the country doesnt. Makes it fun for some, on an engine with no automatic cooling system.

No different then having a tach on the dashboard of your automatic transmission car or an oil pressure gauge or any other gauge vs idiot lights. I find gauges entertaining, this one with the benefit of pushing a button and knowing the oil level too.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 03-07-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:57 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

I ride in 105ยบ+ San Antonio stop and go traffic and have had zero issues.
There it is I knew it was coming

Quick Reply: Oil temp gauge on a Rushmore