2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the difference in the vance and hines headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016 | 09:17 PM
stonesmith
Cruiser

I've had both. Dresser duals were total dogs for low end power loss but they sounded cool. Power dual is a very good peformer especialy on the rushmore bikes. I've seen dyno charts with stock rushmores with just power dual header with decent slip-ons and a very good tune yield over 100 ft.lbs of torque. And they will work well if you decide to do more upgrades later. Never scraped either pipe, floorboards scraped first. Sound/look cool or run good, the choice pretty much depends on your priorities.

Old 02-29-2016 | 09:22 PM
Route66
Tourer

Originally Posted by GTK
If your not after a performance upgrade,the Dresser Duels give a much cleaner look and a better sound in my opinion.

The "better sound" from the Dressers comes from the stereophonic effect of having two independent soundwave sources that can make the bike actually sound more powerful. The Power Duals on the other hand will give you slightly more power at the low to mid-range due to the Venturi effect.

Last edited by Route66; 02-29-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-01-2016 | 08:48 AM
jclax01
|
Road Warrior

ok while I like the dresser dual look more, some of the comments have me really thinking of what I want to do. an 8 hp jump in power from the DD to the PD is a nice bit of pop for very little price difference. But the loudness caught my eye. I am not a big fan of really loud pipes especially if I can't hear the radio at highway speeds. the heat issue is another thing. I am really looking at headers to lose the cat and reduce heat. In fact that's the main reason I want to change headers (and no I am not going to gut the stock pipes).

Is there a big weight difference in the set ups or is the weight difference really not a factor at all?

Old 03-01-2016 | 08:56 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jwk784
To the guys that have either of these pipes... how often do you scrape in a turn?
I have the dresser duals on my 14 SGS and ride it for the most part with the wife on board. We have put on some big trip miles,(Colorodo Rockies) last year, have never scraped even a floor board yet.

Last edited by Taggs; 03-01-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-01-2016 | 09:00 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

If you dont like the look of the power duals, you may wanna consider Fuel Moto's Jackpot. Uses OEM heat shields and has the cross over design.

Last edited by ! rock103 !; 03-01-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2016 | 10:19 AM
Radiochris
Advanced

Originally Posted by stonesmith
I've had both. Dresser duals were total dogs for low end power loss but they sounded cool. Power dual is a very good peformer especialy on the rushmore bikes. I've seen dyno charts with stock rushmores with just power dual header with decent slip-ons and a very good tune yield over 100 ft.lbs of torque. And they will work well if you decide to do more upgrades later. Never scraped either pipe, floorboards scraped first. Sound/look cool or run good, the choice pretty much depends on your priorities.
Agreed. You made me go out to my cold shed to have a look at my dyno sheet! I'm running Power Duals, V&H Titan 450's with SE air cleaner and SE Race Tune. Yer basic Stage I. Went from stock 70hp/85lb ft to 86hp/105 lb ft. So 100 lb ft is very doable. Have fun.

Old 03-01-2016 | 10:42 AM
jclax01
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Radiochris
Agreed. You made me go out to my cold shed to have a look at my dyno sheet! I'm running Power Duals, V&H Titan 450's with SE air cleaner and SE Race Tune. Yer basic Stage I. Went from stock 70hp/85lb ft to 86hp/105 lb ft. So 100 lb ft is very doable. Have fun.

ok this post pretty much ends the debate on what header I am getting. 16 added ponies from stock with a tune and air filter change. although I am probably gonna run with the stock air intake. Its my understanding that the stock air intake breathes fine as is.

Old 03-01-2016 | 10:52 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jclax01
ok while I like the dresser dual look more, some of the comments have me really thinking of what I want to do. an 8 hp jump in power from the DD to the PD is a nice bit of pop for very little price difference. But the loudness caught my eye. I am not a big fan of really loud pipes especially if I can't hear the radio at highway speeds. the heat issue is another thing. I am really looking at headers to lose the cat and reduce heat. In fact that's the main reason I want to change headers (and no I am not going to gut the stock pipes).

Is there a big weight difference in the set ups or is the weight difference really not a factor at all?
Your almost "over thinking" this too much.

Both versions will be much louder than your stock pipes.
Both versions are still "exhaust" pipes and will be hot enough to burn you if you touch them.

Both versions will allow you to still hear your radio at highway speeds.
With the mufflers exiting the rear on a bagger, most of the "noise" is behind you.

For your normal every day riding, the biggest difference in these two is the looks and a slight sound difference. Not louder or quieter, just slightly different.

Old 03-01-2016 | 10:56 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jclax01
ok this post pretty much ends the debate on what header I am getting. 16 added ponies from stock with a tune and air filter change. although I am probably gonna run with the stock air intake. Its my understanding that the stock air intake breathes fine as is.
Stock AC does flow fine. I did the SE AC with stock cover and K&N filter and the intake noise is worse than any benefit gained. If I had it to do over, I'd stay with the stock air box. Good call on the PD's.

Old 03-01-2016 | 11:54 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Radiochris
Sweet, very close to my setup...thanks for the free dyno! Lol

Quick Reply: what is the difference in the vance and hines headers