Sponsored by:

Seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:46 PM
Mud_Bug
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat

Ok, guys i've done some research without any luck. I need some help with a seat issue.

I'm 6'4" tall about 250 with a 38" inseam. Currently own a '14 SG Mt. Rushmore edition. As you can probabally tell i'm pretty cramped when riding, non the less unconfortable as hell after about 2 hours in the saddle. I'm currently looking for a different seat that'll not only scoot me back in this bike, but be comfortable for my wife too. My local dealership does not do the "try before you buy" on seats and I do not have the funds to go out and buy 2 or 3 seats before I get the fit and comfort I want. What suggestions can you make to help this issue out?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:09 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Im 5,11" 190 and I felt cramped on the bike, cant imagine how you feel. Anyway, tried 5 seats including the stock and settled on a Saddlemen Ultimate Comfort. It raises you up, great back support and leaves your passenger with a good amount of room.
I tried 2 different types of Mustangs, the HD stock seat of course and the Sundowner, the Saddlemen works for us.
Keep in mind if your seat allows you to be pushed back, its at the expense of the passenger.
The saddlemen seat works great for both of us but not sure about your height. Its does raise you up a fair amount and why I liked it, more leg room, I did get a larger windshield from Cbailies since the seat was higher but that was on a RK, not sure about your SG.

I ordered from Dennis Kirk, they have a no questions asked return policy but better make sure not to put any marks in the seat and look jsut as good as when they ship it to you..

Old 02-28-2016, 08:14 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 229 Likes on 135 Posts
Cool HD Tall Boy Seat

Originally Posted by Mud_Bug
Ok, guys i've done some research without any luck. I need some help with a seat issue.

I'm 6'4" tall about 250 with a 38" inseam. Currently own a '14 SG Mt. Rushmore edition. As you can probabally tell i'm pretty cramped when riding, non the less unconfortable as hell after about 2 hours in the saddle. I'm currently looking for a different seat that'll not only scoot me back in this bike, but be comfortable for my wife too. My local dealership does not do the "try before you buy" on seats and I do not have the funds to go out and buy 2 or 3 seats before I get the fit and comfort I want. What suggestions can you make to help this issue out?

Thanks in advance.

this is a 14 s/g with the HD tall boy seat ...moves you 2" further back and still good for the old lady ..
check ebay ....09 and up will fit !!!

Last edited by springers4ever; 02-28-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:19 PM
Mud_Bug
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have the Sundowner seat right now. It's liek i need to ahve the padding cut about 2" and that'll do the trick. I think the pedistol for my wife is good, even though she hasn't ridden much with me. No apparent complaints from her about the seat.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:30 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

While I'm not as big at 6'2" with a 35" inseam, the Mustangs wide tripper was nice to help move me back, but lowered me down also. Put my knees slightly above my hips which was ok for around town, but would cause cramps on long runs. I now have a mustang super solo, which rides just as far back but is higher and has better support for the sacrum. Keeps my knees and hips at greater than 90 degrees and works well for me.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...or-please.html

Here's a tread I started about it awhile ago, Zen posted some nice pictures that helped me decide.

Last edited by R_Einan; 02-28-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

C&C wide solo, get a pillion .................... or Mustang Super Touring ........................ or Mustang Vintage Super Touring solo with pillion ......... extended footboards with all of them

Last edited by Beaux; 02-28-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:52 AM
Tri-J
Cruiser

Received 134 Likes on 65 Posts

These did it for me.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:33 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

All the taller people i ride with use the HD Tallboy, I would think a dealer would let you at least sit on one, I believe most of the bigger named seat makers will let you demo a seat, Try calling some, example, Mustang, i'm sure does, and will talk to you on phone and help ya with picking the right one

Old 02-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Candubrain
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 113 Posts

Tried them all, they all mostly have the same problem. I'm 6'6" 205 lbs, my wife is 6'1" 155lbs. I went through about 8 seats between my 2010 Limited and my 2014 Limited.

All the seats set you back....great

All the seats narrow the front section so it's easy to put you foot down......great if you're 5'2" tall, not great for us long legged fellas as you loose the hamstring support you need for the long rides.

Your butt bones, (insert fancy name here) end up taking all the sitting weight resulting in a sore *** or that famous burning feeling.

Also many of these so called tall people seats also move you down...WTF for? You end up with your knees higher than your butt.......guess what......sore butt again!!!

If you're using your touring rig for short runs, (day rides) go with whatever looks good and gives you the leg room.

The only seat that worked for me was custom made by Hartco in FL. It sat me higher....good for the knee to butt height problem. It sat me back maybe an inch, but with your butt higher it was comfortable. They also widened the front of the seat to give me the hamstring support.

I rode from Central Ontario to Jacksonville Fl in 2 days, not once was I squirming or uncomfortable.

But that seat is UGLY!!!!! I hated the looks so much I took it off and ended up with a Police solo with a Mustang Passenger pad.

I went the Police solo route after reading about it here on HD Forums by other tall guys.
You don't move back so much as up. Think of sitting in a chair; back straight, knees bent at 90, feet directly below. It comes down to good posture, you're comfortable, therefore you can do the distance. Stretch out your legs on the highway pegs when needed.

I was amazed how much more low speed control I had with the police seat, I'm a cone rider. Yes the centre of gravity is higher, but the bike handles it well whether in town or the highway. Every watch those police drill teams, they're all riding solo seats, these guys are in the saddle day after day.

You have to decide what you want, cool looks or comfort.
Hope I helped
brian

Last edited by Candubrain; 02-29-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:17 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.lepera.com/v4_Touring_Mod....php?SEATID=33

This seat is a popular choice for tall riders.

Quick Reply: Seat