Odometer reset quit working..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 04:20 PM
gpeake13j
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry Odometer reset quit working..

What a POS.

Well, road yesterday.. got rained on a little in the tornado weather we had, but it was 78* and i had to get it in. Well worth it.

Got back to the house and detailed the bike. Needed it..bad. Ain't been washed in 7 months.

Get on the bike to go fuel up today, and the damned odometer switch is not working. ( I like to see the future predicted on how far I can get on a tank.)

DaFuq? Back to garage and take apart the switch housing, make sure everything is buttoned up, dry, which it is, Canbus switches ohm out correctly etc. Everything is back together and I'm banging on the switch like (With my thumb) and it starts to work. Retarded and slow, but works. Any who, turn bike off, banging on the switch still and it goes into diag mode. Done went and got learned new stuff. Turn it off, and keeps going into diag mode. Eventually get it out, and switch no longer works again.

I did see a guy with a CVO and had to same issues, and had it replaced under warranty. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/screa...roadglide.html

Now my question is.. If you actually took the time to read all that brain scatter and got this far.. How many have had problems with the ODO switch? Because, really Harley, what a way to poop on my day. I was all excited about everything today.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:05 PM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

LOL More stuff too break with all this fancy electronics.....Mine still works fyi
Go warranty it out GL.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:39 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

More like user error to me. If you can go to diag mode. Then your switch still works. Holding the button and turning it on puts in diag mode.

Did you hose your bike down with a sprayer and hit the control switches? If you did, that's minus 2 points. Let it dry out for a day and it will cure itself

Old 02-26-2016, 02:02 PM
HDultralowGA
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Had to have mine replaced under warranty on my 2015 Limited. Same exact symptoms you're having. Don't waste any more time banging on it, go have em swap it out!

Old 02-26-2016, 02:14 PM
gpeake13j
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
More like user error to me. If you can go to diag mode. Then your switch still works. Holding the button and turning it on puts in diag mode.

Did you hose your bike down with a sprayer and hit the control switches? If you did, that's minus 2 points. Let it dry out for a day and it will cure itself

No high speed, you didn't read post entirely obviously; that's minus two points.. I don't spray water directly on anything electronic ( speakers, H/U, switches) and i blow dry the damn thing. However, if it couldn't handle a little bit of over spray, we are ****ed. I ride in the rain, and electronic **** should in fact be weather proofed for the fact that its a ****ing motorcycle and gets ridden in the rain. Switch works.. when it wants to. Disassembled last night with a fan on it to dry it out. Buttoned back up this morning, nothing. On the way to dealer, it works for about 3 pushes of the button, then nothing since. The left switch packs are on back order. Apparently replace A lot of them judging by service departments "I'm so tired of these switches" reaction. They had some light up ones, with little price difference, which I said I could by those and install them. They said the warranty wouldn't be honored if they didn't install them. Understandable I guess. So waiting the 2 weeks or so for them to get the parts in and install them.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:17 PM
gpeake13j
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDultralowGA
Had to have mine replaced under warranty on my 2015 Limited. Same exact symptoms you're having. Don't waste any more time banging on it, go have em swap it out!
Haha! Right on man.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:55 PM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gpeake13j
The left switch packs are on back order. Apparently replace A lot of them judging by service departments "I'm so tired of these switches" reaction. ....... So waiting the 2 weeks or so for them to get the parts in and install them.
Assuming you went to Fort Bragg HD....

They didn't have the right side in stock last week either.

But it did come in quicker than 2 weeks. Of course they didn't call to let me know.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:06 AM
TodPedro
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Replaced twice

My '14 SGS has gone through two of these switches, same symptoms as you. I also ride in the rain occasionally and have had this switch replaced twice and the horn once under warranty. The warranty runs out at the end of March!

Old 02-27-2016, 07:15 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Yeah, for the past 110 years or so the MOCO hasn't been able to design waterproof switches. Pretty lame, IMO.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:38 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by gpeake13j
No high speed, you didn't read post entirely obviously; that's minus two points..
Burn. Best line in this whole thread. lol

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Yeah, for the past 110 years or so the MOCO hasn't been able to design waterproof switches. Pretty lame, IMO.
You're doing it again. Making up crap to complain about. Lame jpooch.

Quick Reply: Odometer reset quit working..