Sponsored by:

Boom Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:20 AM
Rhettm
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Boom Stage II

Ok, I know there are numerous threads on this topic, but I have a couple of specific questions that I can't seem to find the answers to.

I am considering doing some kind of an audio upgrade. I have looked into the HD upgrade. It sounds great on the fancy little board they have at the dealer, but I haven't listened to it installed on a bike. It's pricey, but plug and play mostly. It does require a dealer flash.

Hogtunes seems like it's ok, but I can't really tell if it's plug and play or if it requires some creative wiring. Some of the reviews of the Hogtunes system haven't been great. It is quite a bit less expensive and doesn't require a flash.

The J&M 4 speaker 500w system is about the same price as the HD system. It seems to get pretty good reviews and it looks like it is plug and play mostly, but as near as I can tell, it still requires a trip to the dealer to do some kind of reprogramming in the radio.

If anyone has personal experience with any of the these systems and can make recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:36 AM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You need to spend some time in the Audio Systems section of this forum before you spend your money. There are aftermarket options available that are better than Boom in almost every measurable way. If you're even considering options in the price range of the Boom equipment, you should check out Biketronics. Visit Audio Systems forum on this website.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:10 AM
SGMongoose
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the full boom stage II (2 amp, 4 speaker) on my SGS and i like it. It's more then enough volume then i'll ever need. I'm sure there are better setups for less money, but I'm not a audiophile, and even if i was, i doubt i could pick up the difference over the engine, exhaust and wind noise. Volume is whats important on the bike to me. I know people hate on mock stuff cause its overpriced, but i like that its all plug and play, and fits "like factory". i hate looking at messy wiring, its already bad enough under the seat as is. The boom setup wiring is by no means clean, but i imagine it looks better then most.

in terms of reliability, you hear about more issues with the boom systems. i don't know if its because there are more of those systems out there. I did blow a stage I rear speaker (1 amp), but have had zero issues so far with the boom stage II. i do have some static coming over the speakers, but i think its related to how i ran my wiring of something else causing interference. it wasn't always there.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 AM
GlidingJoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 331 Likes on 251 Posts

As said above, there are many variations of systems and each has its high and low points, vary in pricing and also come with a variable level of plug and play and also the question of yes or no to dealer flash and so on.
I had the J&M system on my '11 SG, it was loud and clear.
When I moved to the Rushmore BOOM I decided to stay away from J&M for my own personal reasons. ( if you read through many many threads you may come across some correspondence) I have had several systems from a Standard SGS set up to Arc Audio 125.2 Mini and Focals on that bike, and now from the full two amp four speaker Boom ll on my CVO to Arc Audio Moto 600.4 with all four Focal speakers. Putting together an Arc Audio and speaker system will come in less money then a J&M and sound better (IMHO), but its not all plug and play and would require a flash. You can get the Magic box that will eliminate the flash but does not have the same sound quality.
I am no means am saying that the BOOM ll is not good, Nor for that matter the J&M system, I actually found it (the boom ll) to be one of the CVO selling points when I purchased it. It sounds amazing and will certainly impress. I personally wanted a custom system that goes beyond.
As mentioned there is a lot of write ups on this very subject and many many opinions, the bottom line is what do you want to spend, what do you want for sound and how deep are you willing to go to build one and or pay someone else to build a plug and play.

What bike are you doing a sound build on? how many speakers, how many amps??

Old 02-25-2016, 10:31 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhettm
Ok, I know there are numerous threads on this topic, but I have a couple of specific questions that I can't seem to find the answers to.

I am considering doing some kind of an audio upgrade. I have looked into the HD upgrade. It sounds great on the fancy little board they have at the dealer, but I haven't listened to it installed on a bike. It's pricey, but plug and play mostly. It does require a dealer flash.

Hogtunes seems like it's ok, but I can't really tell if it's plug and play or if it requires some creative wiring. Some of the reviews of the Hogtunes system haven't been great. It is quite a bit less expensive and doesn't require a flash.

The J&M 4 speaker 500w system
is about the same price as the HD system. It seems to get pretty good reviews and it looks like it is plug and play mostly, but as near as I can tell, it still requires a trip to the dealer to do some kind of reprogramming in the radio.

If anyone has personal experience with any of the these systems and can make recommendations, I'd appreciate it.
Originally Posted by jayhawkclint
You need to spend some time in the Audio Systems section of this forum before you spend your money. There are aftermarket options available that are better than Boom in almost every measurable way. If you're even considering options in the price range of the Boom equipment, you should check out Biketronics. Visit Audio Systems forum on this website.
Stay away from anything marked in red above. Do as suggested and post this on the Audion forum and you will no why.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:00 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

What's actually your specific question? No experience on other systems, but I've been pretty happy with my 4 speaker Boom 2 system. Especially after the one update last year.

You might as well start reading all the other threads. It'll be the same **** that'll get posted here.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:25 PM
Rhettm
Cruiser

I appreciate the feedback. I've been to the audio forum, but, honestly it made my head hurt. There is sooooooo much info over there, some of which is contradictory, that I think I went numb.

My specific questions surround the 3 systems that I noted in my post. The J&M, HD, and Hogtunes and why or why not to buy them.

I hate to say that I don't really care about cost. I do. However, I don't mind paying a little more for a system if it works well. As I parse through the posts in the audio forum, it gets pretty confusing-as many posters in that forum have noted.

I am headed over to Daytona next week and hope to hear some of the systems first hand. Until then, I will continue to browse the audio forum, but any additional info anyone may have is appreciated.

Rhett

Old 02-25-2016, 02:03 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhettm
I appreciate the feedback. I've been to the audio forum, but, honestly it made my head hurt. There is sooooooo much info over there, some of which is contradictory, that I think I went numb.

My specific questions surround the 3 systems that I noted in my post. The J&M, HD, and Hogtunes and why or why not to buy them.

I hate to say that I don't really care about cost. I do. However, I don't mind paying a little more for a system if it works well. As I parse through the posts in the audio forum, it gets pretty confusing-as many posters in that forum have noted.

I am headed over to Daytona next week and hope to hear some of the systems first hand. Until then, I will continue to browse the audio forum, but any additional info anyone may have is appreciated.

Rhett
J&M way over priced, HD way over priced and is hit or miss if you can get someone to hook it up properly. Hog tunes just does not have the quality.

Simple and easy, Biketronics, lifetime warranty, plug and play, loud and clear, will include everything you need, reasonably priced and customer service is great. The other three systems can not compete with Biketronics.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:47 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by TcHunter
J&M way over priced, HD way over priced and is hit or miss if you can get someone to hook it up properly. Hog tunes just does not have the quality.

Simple and easy, Biketronics, lifetime warranty, plug and play, loud and clear, will include everything you need, reasonably priced and customer service is great. The other three systems can not compete with Biketronics.
Call Bill at BT: http://www.biketronics.com/2014-and-up-products/
I too was looking at everything you listed in your OP. However, I am completely satisfied with BT, and it is plug and play.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Rhettm
Cruiser

Cool. That's what I was looking for. I called Bill and left a message. He was in a meeting.

Thanks again for the replies.

Rhett

Quick Reply: Boom Stage II