Sponsored by:

Side Tone, Is It Back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:25 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
It has nothing to do with hearing yourself talk. It lets you know if you're transmitting and if you are, clearly or not. There was an option under the diagnostic menu that allowed for the volume of side tone so you could have turned it off there.
Do you recall where this is located? I just went through everything I could find in the diagnostic menu and wasn't able to find it.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:18 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Do you recall where this is located? I just went through everything I could find in the diagnostic menu and wasn't able to find it.
You get to it by powering up the system by turning on the ignition while holding down the power button; as if you're doing a factory reset. Is that where you were? There are options in there that do all sorts of stuff like testing your speakers, etc. Side tone volume is in there but be careful not to change anything else by accident. It's possible that they took side tone volume out in one of the updates once they deactivated it but I saw it in there after the update that cut it off and it didn't work for me even after turning the volume all the way up.
I'll try to do a search for you at some point to find the instructions to get to that menu.
John

Last edited by RG Pilot; 02-17-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:40 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
You get to it by powering up the system by turning on the ignition while holding down the power button; as if you're doing a factory reset. Is that where you were? There are options in there that do all sorts of stuff like testing your speakers, etc. Side tone volume is in there but be careful not to change anything else by accident. It's possible that they took side tone volume out in one of the updates once they deactivated it but I saw it in there after the update that cut it off and it didn't work for me even after turning the volume all the way up.
I'll try to do a search for you at some point to find the instructions to get to that menu.
John
Thank you. Yes, I was in the diagnostics mode. I checked in audio, as well as everything else but wasn't able to find it. Perhaps you are right and they removed it.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:00 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Thank you. Yes, I was in the diagnostics mode. I checked in audio, as well as everything else but wasn't able to find it. Perhaps you are right and they removed it.
Yes, it used to be there, but it never did anything (wouldn't allow any changes to sidetone volume to be saved), so removing it seems likely. Still, using the intercom when properly adjusted & setup will provide a sidetone confirmation that your voice audio is being heard by the system (see my post #4 in this thread).

Old 02-17-2016, 01:12 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hammz
Yes, it used to be there, but it never did anything (wouldn't allow any changes to sidetone volume to be saved), so removing it seems likely. Still, using the intercom when properly adjusted & setup will provide a sidetone confirmation that your voice audio is being heard by the system (see my post #4 in this thread).
Yes that's how I've done the workaround too. I guess that's the way it has to be...

Old 02-17-2016, 03:28 PM
Tanker2
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I have my intercom setup like you suggested (14 Limited). That's the only way I use mine. Still I hear no side tone. Are you saying you do?

I was just hoping the new update brought it back. Because without it, your not sure my have the Pitt button pushed correctly. Thanks

Old 02-17-2016, 05:11 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tanker2
I have my intercom setup like you suggested (14 Limited). That's the only way I use mine. Still I hear no side tone. Are you saying you do?

I was just hoping the new update brought it back. Because without it, your not sure my have the Pitt button pushed correctly. Thanks
That's exactly why I like side tone too and I believe that's the intention of having it rather than some say "to hear yourself talk."
See HAMMZ post number 4 on the first page. That's how mine is set up and I do get side tone that way. Make sure your VOX is turned to all the way down so you must press the PTT for it to activate and your intercom must be on at the same time you are using your CB. Basically, you're using both the intercom and CB at the same time that way.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:24 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

I will say it again. I just had my bike updated by the dealer Friday, and it has side tone. It is the first update since buying my bike last January.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:10 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
I will say it again. I just had my bike updated by the dealer Friday, and it has side tone. It is the first update since buying my bike last January.
Good to know. I've yet to check mine. Are you sure that your intercom isn't on?

Old 02-18-2016, 02:21 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
Would you do me/us a favor and check which software version your Dealer used to update your Boom Box? No way of knowing without actually checking which update version they might have used.

Per Pages 60 and 61 in the Boom Box Owners Manual that I have (2015 Bike) First you select the "Home" Button, then select "Setup" on the screen, then "System Information" on the next screen, and finally "Software" on the next screen. The next screen (The third or the fourth screen, depending on how you count this.) should now show you: "Software Version: Version X.XX.X" (As shown in Figure 42 on Page 61 in my Boom Box Owners Manual.) Where the X.XX.X is a series of numbers.

Please . . . what is the Version number you see on your bike?

Last edited by Bluehighways; 02-18-2016 at 02:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Side Tone, Is It Back?