Sponsored by:

Internally wiring bars, and I'm stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Powertrip240
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Internally wiring bars, and I'm stuck

I'm in the middle of replacing my bars on my '15 SG. I got 12" KST Kustoms Mayhem Baggers. I'm trying to run the wires internally. I de-pinned the TBW connector already, but I didn't de-pin the small 4 wire connectors for the left and right hand controls. I've tried 4 times to pull them through. the first 2 times using string, and the string broke. The second 2 times using safety wire, and the safety wire just pulled out of the tape I had wrapped around it. The dude on the video I saw on Youtube didn't have to de-pin them, he was able to pull them through. I'm thinking there must be some extra slag in my bars from the welding.

Have any of you guys had any problems pulling those small 4 wire connectors through the peak of Mayhem Baggers/Monkey Bars style bars? I'm, thinking there's no way in hell that the connector is going to make the turn around the peak of the bars.

This isn't my first time internally wiring ape hangers. 6 months ago, I did the same job on 14" apes on my 07 RK. But those bars didn't have the peak that the Monkey Bars style has.

I'm thinking I need to de-pin the small connectors, run them through, and re-pin them. The problem is I can't figure out how to de-pin these small connectors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:12 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

When I did my Yaffes, I didn't depin any of the plugs. Used a string to pull with very slight pull to act more of a guide than a pull, but most effort was in pushing the wires thru. By pushing the plugs to the peaks, a slight pull on the string guided the plug over the peaks. Also helped to twist wires back and forth some to allow the plugs to flop while pushing.Not in complete rotations, just wrist twisting action. I used all stock wiring and TBW wire too. No extension. Took 10 min at most to run all 3 wire sets. Also a good lubricant coating over wires is a must.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:14 PM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 02-12-2016, 07:04 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 328 Likes on 223 Posts

I have the kst mayhem bagger bars on my 14 Limited and I cut and spliced my own extensions. I took a piece of weed eater string and laid it on the side of the wires for about 4" ran some tape around the end then doubled the end of the string and ran the tape clear to the end of the wires and I slicked the whole thing up with dish soap(dish soap is an excellent lube and it will dry)pulled and pushed the wires through. You also don't need longer brake and clutch hoses I pulled them through to the front of the fairing and rerouted them and there was plenty.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 AM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks like a pretty tight turn. If your 'string' keeps pulling through the tape, after you tape the string to the wires, loop the string back down on the tape and apply more tape. Know what I mean? Good luck.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 AM
CPT_Carrera
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Everyone I know said you really should use some wire lube spray to help them slip through. I'm almost to the same point as you. I replaced my bushings last night. Going out to get the spray today. Also some ceiling fan lamp chain to pass my wire as it has some weight to it and shouldn't snag like string. I hope!

When I replaced my bushings and reassembled my risers I noticed the riser bolts don't go back in there all that far. Couldn't remember what it looked like before so wondering if anyone can tell me if That sounds about right or did I botch something? Everything seems snug

Old 02-12-2016, 08:30 AM
Ultraboy105
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Someone on this forum used some braided plastic wire loom so it would slide in the bars. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:39 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior

Tie a nut to the string and drop it thru the bars. You don't need a heavy chain to pull the wires. By using more force to pull the wires, you risk skinning them as they slide over the peaks. If you push the wires, they will go right over the peak cause you are really pushing them against the far wall of the bars. Just pull enough to take up slack to keep the wires from bunching up.

I used the HD poly bushings and no issue with bolt length.

Last edited by CVO SG; 02-12-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:21 AM
CPT_Carrera
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by us1fountain
Tie a nut to the string and drop it thru the bars. You don't need a heavy chain to pull the wires. By using more force to pull the wires, you risk skinning them as they slide over the peaks. If you push the wires, they will go right over the peak cause you are really pushing them against the far wall of the bars. Just pull enough to take up slack to keep the wires from bunching up.

I used the HD poly bushings and no issue with bolt length.
I was stressing it a bit so backed the bolts off of both risers and this time observed the threads. The bolts went in the riser about half way so I feel confident they are solid. I used the Ness polyurethane bushings. As for the chain it's not much different than a military dog tag chain. Pretty light weight.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior

Gotcha

Quick Reply: Internally wiring bars, and I'm stuck