2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did LED lights become so expensive? Or why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:28 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 449 Likes on 226 Posts

Here's a review of the JW 8790. Interesting technology but crazy expensive.

http://www.gizmag.com/jw-speaker-ada...-review/41191/

Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

First lets admit the HD Daymaker is highway robbery from a price perspective. They make for a great $350 dollar spot light but after dark thats about it. I think i paid 70 bucks or so for a DK Customs drop him h4 LED that works great for what its for and thats being seen during daytime. I can see the Daymaker and other LED headlamps from extreme distances during the day in my cage or on my bike that wouldn't be seen at all with standard Halogen bulbs at that range. Not noticeably anyways.

I have CD LED Moon Shinez in the front and regular bullet style red LEDs in the year. I also purchased the CD plug and play brake light assembly which puts out an amazing amount of light. All the LED signal lights and brake light is far superior to a stock incandescent bulb. My break light , lights my entire back yard up when its applied. In fact it lights the interior of a car behind me when its applied. I think all and all for turns and the brake light assembly it was around $320.00 and i will strip them off and put it on my new HD this year.

With all that being said, after dark the LED's head lights suck in comparison to a bright incandescent or HID. Their is a great difference between brightness and illumination . LEDS are focused and dont reach out to off the road where are greatest threat comes for during after dark riding. When i go from high to low beam on my bike there is no measurable lighting difference with an LED drop in bulb. Though not a great comparison i've watched alot of nighttime lighting videos on the Daymaker and other LED headlight systems. Their off road peripheral projection stinks much like a LED vs incandescent flashlight does.

I personally don't like riding during hours of darkness in rural America. 15 minutes to work in the AM is all i'm willing to do. LED's all the way around are the only way to go imo. You can sure do that for about the cost of a Daymaker.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Ultraboy105
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
First lets admit the HD Daymaker is highway robbery from a price perspective. They make for a great $350 dollar spot light but after dark thats about it. I think i paid 70 bucks or so for a DK Customs drop him h4 LED that works great for what its for and thats being seen during daytime. I can see the Daymaker and other LED headlamps from extreme distances during the day in my cage or on my bike that wouldn't be seen at all with standard Halogen bulbs at that range. Not noticeably anyways.

I have CD LED Moon Shinez in the front and regular bullet style red LEDs in the year. I also purchased the CD plug and play brake light assembly which puts out an amazing amount of light. All the LED signal lights and brake light is far superior to a stock incandescent bulb. My break light , lights my entire back yard up when its applied. In fact it lights the interior of a car behind me when its applied. I think all and all for turns and the brake light assembly it was around $320.00 and i will strip them off and put it on my new HD this year.

With all that being said, after dark the LED's head lights suck in comparison to a bright incandescent or HID. Their is a great difference between brightness and illumination . LEDS are focused and dont reach out to off the road where are greatest threat comes for during after dark riding. When i go from high to low beam on my bike there is no measurable lighting difference with an LED drop in bulb. Though not a great comparison i've watched alot of nighttime lighting videos on the Daymaker and other LED headlight systems. Their off road peripheral projection stinks much like a LED vs incandescent flashlight does.

I personally don't like riding during hours of darkness in rural America. 15 minutes to work in the AM is all i'm willing to do. LED's all the way around are the only way to go imo. You can sure do that for about the cost of a Daymaker.
My '14 Limited headlight is by far the best headlight I've had. At night I don't need to use my brights. In fact, with headlight alone it's better than my last ultra with all the lights on. I don't have the black HD daymakers, but can see them having less reflective light. I don't however see them being worse than my last bike, but can't say. I would see the black C D lights having the same issue.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:49 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
Did you ever think that's the price custom dynamics could be paying for there's.
Pretty good profit margins I would say.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:59 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

To be honest my daymaker sucks compared to the trucklite i had on my 05 ultra. The stock daymaker on my 14 does not light the road very good at all. Im sure the CD light might shine better but at 1300 bucks it's not worth it. I really think the CD bullet ringz are as bright if not brighter than the daymaker lights.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:00 PM
tbrince
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the black projector day maker on my14SGS. Black or chrome,I believe, doesn't matter. Projector lights are focused by lenses, not reflected by background. My light is twice the light of my stock dual halogen,properly aimed. Most people not happy with projectors didn't spend the time to get the aim right. I ride at night and love the light. Are there better ,probably, technology marches on.