Sponsored by:

Stage one flash (sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:55 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Stage one flash (sorry)

Ok, I know there are a million threads about this, so sorry for starting another one but I can't find a whole lot about the liquid cooled Rushmore models. So when I bought the bike, i put on some Freedom slip-ons, heavy breather, and the stage one flash. All that was done before the first ride, and the bike works great. That being said, I'm adding a set of decated headpipes on this spring and would love to hear from anyone else running a good a/c and decated pipes.

I know most will say get a tuner, but I have 6.5 years of warranty ahead of me, and even though my local dealer would leave me alone about it, I'm not risking the extra headaches if something happens on the road so there is really no chance of me putting a tuner on and getting it dyno'd.

Besides the fact that I won't be getting "peak" performance, is there any reason why the bike shouldn't run fine with the HD flash?

Old 02-05-2016, 08:17 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
Ok, I know there are a million threads about this, so sorry for starting another one but I can't find a whole lot about the liquid cooled Rushmore models. So when I bought the bike, i put on some Freedom slip-ons, heavy breather, and the stage one flash. All that was done before the first ride, and the bike works great. That being said, I'm adding a set of decated headpipes on this spring and would love to hear from anyone else running a good a/c and decated pipes.

I know most will say get a tuner, but I have 6.5 years of warranty ahead of me, and even though my local dealer would leave me alone about it, I'm not risking the extra headaches if something happens on the road so there is really no chance of me putting a tuner on and getting it dyno'd.

Besides the fact that I won't be getting "peak" performance, is there any reason why the bike shouldn't run fine with the HD flash?
The bike will run just fine with the Stage 1 flash with the setup you are going to use, the Canbus ECM can/will make more adjustments than the old Delphi ECM.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:22 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info! I'm crossing my fingers you'll be right.

And I know a few of you out there want desperately to try to shove a tuner down my throat, but thanks for holding back! lol. I've already been there and done that, and really trying to avoid it on this bike.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:27 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

You should be fine, you may experience some decel pop.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:31 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

I'm half expecting that. If it's bad, I'll probably just stick the stock headpipes back on.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:35 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for the info! I'm crossing my fingers you'll be right.

And I know a few of you out there want desperately to try to shove a tuner down my throat, but thanks for holding back! lol. I've already been there and done that, and really trying to avoid it on this bike.
My 2016 Limited is running just fine on a Stage 1 flash with Cobra Powerport Headpipes, Vance & Hines High Output Mufflers and a Screamin Eagle Ventilator Elite Breather.

I have been an ASE Master Auto Tech for 32yrs and have dealt with many different types of systems, the Canbus system is by far the best for making adjustments on the fly as needed, mind you they are minor adjustments, but you won't be flowing as much more air as you think you will, or what other people might lead you to believe.

I can't for see any problems for you.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:41 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pswomack
...or what other people might lead you to believe.
I hear you. On my old softy I'm sure I paid about $100 per horsepower gain. Not to mention all the frigging around with tuner adjustments/issues. I'm getting these stock decated pipes for next to nothing and got the stage one flash for free with the bike, so if it runs good, sounds a little better, and gains 2 hp, I'll have made a wise investment, lol.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Ok, I know there are a million threads about this, so sorry for starting another one. . .
Never apologize for that. Surely, there always a jack wagon that wants to say, "Use the search function!", but he's usually just being a tool. Very few things are ever "new", and if we just used the search function all the time, we'd never have any discussion.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:34 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,573 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by From_Behind
Never apologize for that. Surely, there always a jack wagon that wants to say, "Use the search function!", but he's usually just being a tool. Very few things are ever "new", and if we just used the search function all the time, we'd never have any discussion.

The only way adding a tuner can void a warranty is if the tuner caused the problem. No different than if your engine goes out and they see you took the stock pipes off. Tuners generally take a lean running bike and lowers the air fuel ratio making the mixture richer which will help the engine run cooler.
I would suggest the you give Fuel Moto or DynoJet a call and tell them your concerns and see what they say. We have the 7 yr. ESP's on our bikes and have never had a problem with warranty work.

Good Luck
Bill

Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Vernal

The only way adding a tuner can void a warranty is if the tuner caused the problem. No different than if your engine goes out and they see you took the stock pipes off. Tuners generally take a lean running bike and lowers the air fuel ratio making the mixture richer which will help the engine run cooler.
I would suggest the you give Fuel Moto or DynoJet a call and tell them your concerns and see what they say. We have the 7 yr. ESP's on our bikes and have never had a problem with warranty work.

Good Luck
Bill
I do agree that you can run into similar warranty problems with pipes, but adding a tuner will only aggravate that problem. I know that thousands of people put tuners on new bikes and some have warranty issues, most don't. All that being said, I don't want to chance it this early on, since they can blame any motor trouble they want on a tuner, and I also really don't want the headache and cost of a tuner. I have gone through all that before, and I really just plan on keeping this bike as reliable and trouble free as I can. Like I said, if it doesn't work out, I'm just as happy to put the stock headpipe back on.
I have nothing against tuners and I know all the benefits of them, just not the route I'm going with this time around.

Quick Reply: Stage one flash (sorry)