Sponsored by:

Pro Action rear shocks opinions. if u have em

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:39 PM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Pro Action rear shocks opinions. if u have em

I just ordered Pro Action rear shocks to go with the Legend Axeo front end..

George was a pleasure to talk to. very Knowledgeable and worked for the big shock companies.

So is anyone else running the pro action? Thoughts

Why i went with them...
Nitrogen charged unlike the Revo's by Legend and 1/2 in more travel. (big consideration for me ) cost. comparable when talking that much$$$bill... cheaper that revo's but less than works so. Good review on here and bagger mag loves em, but no reviews on Rushmore touring bikes that i seen on here. I talked to Howard at motorcycle metal good guy but time line not in line with mine so don't bring it up (Next Time?)

Last edited by TOFTS; 02-03-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:49 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

I think I'm going to order up a set pretty soon as well, so I would like to hear from those that run them as well.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:17 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have em on my '08 RK. They're growing me or they're getting broke in and the ride is getting better. I purchased them before the revalving mid year last year and hated them, very stiff. Afterwards, they were way more tolerable and after playing with different adjustments I think I found my happy spot. Which may be where they set it up before I started tinkering with them. They also put a taller softer spring in it when they updated the valving.

For me, I have the springs screwed down 9-10 threads on both sides and the rebound 1-2 clicks clockwise from the left. Those with a better set up please let me know. I wanted both shocks to put equal force on the swing arm being its the older style.

I did try backing the spring preload almost to the top of the threads. Thinking it would ride softer. Reality, it didn't. They weren't bottoming out, but it wasn't working with the updated valving. After a quick email, one of the guys had me tighten up the preload on the springs which would let the valving work much better on the smaller bumps. Afterwards, it did ride better and I could feel less of the road. I went from one thread to were I'm at now, 9-10 threads down. It doesn't feel any stiffer than before.

I haven't tried others and can't compare them to anything except the oem's. I do feel the oem's were alittle more plush with 15 lbs riding one up. Two up I like these better.

Last edited by King-a-ling; 02-03-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:59 PM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by King-a-ling
I have em on my '08 RK. They're growing me or they're getting broke in and the ride is getting better. I purchased them before the revalving mid year last year and hated them, very stiff. Afterwards, they were way more tolerable and after playing with different adjustments I think I found my happy spot. Which may be where they set it up before I started tinkering with them. They also put a taller softer spring in it when they updated the valving.

For me, I have the springs screwed down 9-10 threads on both sides and the rebound 1-2 clicks clockwise from the left. Those with a better set up please let me know. I wanted both shocks to put equal force on the swing arm being its the older style.

I did try backing the spring preload almost to the top of the threads. Thinking it would ride softer. Reality, it didn't. They weren't bottoming out, but it wasn't working with the updated valving. After a quick email, one of the guys had me tighten up the preload on the springs which would let the valving work much better on the smaller bumps. Afterwards, it did ride better and I could feel less of the road. I went from one thread to were I'm at now, 9-10 threads down. It doesn't feel any stiffer than before.

I haven't tried others and can't compare them to anything except the oem's. I do feel the oem's were alittle more plush with 15 lbs riding one up. Two up I like these better.
What year did you buy them? I'm getting the latest re valving. FYI you can adjust one spring lighter to fine tune the ride call George he will help and they will resolve it for you tell them YOUR NOT HAPPY He will help I believe ....or social media always helps....Told me i could sent em back and they would re-valve, change springs, minor cost for springs.. but even if older i would try...BWDIK

Old 02-03-2016, 11:07 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought em last year around June, I think. They did the updated valving in August or Sept. Your right on adjusting them differently and it may produce a better ride, but I'm ocd about keeping the pressure on the swing arm the same. That in itself maybe unnecessary. In all I'm happy with them and their service. I explained how it was riding and they asked me to return them. When I got em back, they were alittle longer and I'm thinking they put a softer spring in em.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Pierre
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a set in 13" lenght for my Road King, i weight 215 lbs , i ride solo 90% of the time, they send them for my weight, i ordered them in october at the end of our riding season, i had the chance to try them on our worst road, at first, a bit stiff, but i remove 3 click of their free bleed screw, and they were awesome, i could'nt ask for more, they are in mx shocks for many years and they know their works,previously i have Progressive 440 13", never able to set them to my liking, and a pair of HD Premium 12", that are way too stiff at their lowest setting...

Old 02-04-2016, 11:47 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I have them. I am 240# and ride 2 up about half the time. I really like the shocks. They do take some break in miles... well quite a few like the mono tubes do to settle in. They are also very sensitive to adjustments thus dialing in the base adjustments and fine tuning one side. The quality of the shock itself is impressive. For what they cost with the ability to control the damping they are money well spent considering the other brands are about as much and lack adjustable.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 PM
sharps45100
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see any place on their web site where they sell shocks to fit Harley. Am I looking at the wrong site?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:41 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

It's at street pro action

http://street.pro-action.com

Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 AM
SGMongoose
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed Pro-action shocks on my 14' SGS this past September. Initially it was worlds better then the stock suspension which was way to stiff for my 140lbs riding weight, but still a little stiff on big bumps. Pro-action walked me through some adjustments with the free-bleed screw and it made a big difference. I only have about 2000 miles on them since, but i haven't thought about my rear suspension again until i read this thread.. so it's safe to say i pretty satisfied with it, compared to my stock suspension where i would think about it after every ride.

I still think i have room for improvements to the ride, but i'm a bit too lazy to play with it. I would prefer something like the Super Shox where its one adjustment, but i guess having more adjustability is a benefit when tuning the ride.

Quick Reply: Pro Action rear shocks opinions. if u have em