Sponsored by:

Pro Action rear shocks opinions. if u have em

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SGMongoose
I installed Pro-action shocks on my 14' SGS this past September. Initially it was worlds better then the stock suspension which was way to stiff for my 140lbs riding weight, but still a little stiff on big bumps. Pro-action walked me through some adjustments with the free-bleed screw and it made a big difference. I only have about 2000 miles on them since, but i haven't thought about my rear suspension again until i read this thread.. so it's safe to say i pretty satisfied with it, compared to my stock suspension where i would think about it after every ride.

I still think i have room for improvements to the ride, but i'm a bit too lazy to play with it. I would prefer something like the Super Shox where its one adjustment, but i guess having more adjustability is a benefit when tuning the ride.
You might want to look into the Legend Revo shocks and Legend AXEO front suspension. The Revo shocks use lighter weight and longer springs than other brands. Developed specifically for a smoother ride. The AXEO front suspension is Adjustable to your weight, has something like 7 different weight levels that they adjust to. Considering your light weight ( wish I had that issue ) you might want to research.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:43 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

I looked into those revo-a fronts and the only issue I see is that you set the preload internally. What happens if you screw up and set the preload wrong?

I can see why they Did that. It would ruin they styling of the bike having external adjusters on the top of the forks

Old 02-06-2016, 07:06 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
I looked into those revo-a fronts and the only issue I see is that you set the preload internally. What happens if you screw up and set the preload wrong?

I can see why they Did that. It would ruin they styling of the bike having external adjusters on the top of the forks
True, but they sure do ride nice. I am so happy with mine.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Mxpilot
Road Captain
Received 536 Likes on 203 Posts

Glad to read all the positive opinions here. Called my Pro-Action tech from my MX days, talked to him about questions, gave him weights and put in the order. Will have them next week, and hopefully installed by next weekend. Will post opinions once I have them to ride on.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:57 PM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxpilot
Glad to read all the positive opinions here. Called my Pro-Action tech from my MX days, talked to him about questions, gave him weights and put in the order. Will have them next week, and hopefully installed by next weekend. Will post opinions once I have them to ride on.
Installed mine last week have rode a few times 2 times 1 up once 2 up no adjustments made yet will load the bike like going on a trip for next test run.
I think they could be a bit softer but very few miles on them 300mi...reil road tracks went well 2 up....

Old 02-15-2016, 07:44 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by TOFTS
Installed mine last week have rode a few times 2 times 1 up once 2 up no adjustments made yet will load the bike like going on a trip for next test run.
I think they could be a bit softer but very few miles on them 300mi...reil road tracks went well 2 up....
You may have to back off the sweep valve a little but until they break in. That is what I did. Check the little bumper that is on the shock shaft. They ship with it about mid shock. After riding it should be pushed down to where there is just a slight crack of chrome showing. That way you know you are using the travel correctly. Unlike some of the other shocks on the market that have huge bumpers down there that are sort of designed to use that to bottom on Pro-Actions and Ohlins are not.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:18 PM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
You may have to back off the sweep valve a little but until they break in. That is what I did. Check the little bumper that is on the shock shaft. They ship with it about mid shock. After riding it should be pushed down to where there is just a slight crack of chrome showing. That way you know you are using the travel correctly. Unlike some of the other shocks on the market that have huge bumpers down there that are sort of designed to use that to bottom on Pro-Actions and Ohlins are not.
Thanks the rubber bumpers were at the bottom I didn't look under them not sure i could have they we re down near or on the bottom (Rail Road track hella bump in it 2up too)
My question is what dose the sweep valve do turn in (clockwise) dose what?, compared to out (Counterclockwise) I know its not like normal damping adjustment or is it and I'm over thinking it?
TIA

Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 PM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

If you turn it counter clockwise it reduces the dampening. If you go clockwise it'll increase the dampening (correct me if I'm wrong). What they told me to do was leave the left side alone and adjust the right side. The good thing is it will only turn so many clicks and stop, so you can't hurt anything or have anything fall out. I recommend if you turn it counter clockwise till it stops count your clicks so you'll know where they had it set for a reference and work clockwise from there till if feels right.

On mine, they had the left shock one or two clicks clockwise and I forgot where they had the right. Right now I have the right shock three clicks clockwise from left. Initially I thought it was one or two.

What I did was turn the right shock all the way counter clockwise and did a test ride and went from there. Like George told me, if you turn it to far clockwise you'll feel it right away. I'm still learning with mine as they get some miles on them.

On the spring preload, George told me and may have told you the same thing so forgive if I repeat it. Slide your bump stop up about half way up the rod and after a test ride stop see where it's at. If its on the bottom you may need to tight up on the spring a couple of turns. Like Todd said if your about 1/8 to 1/4" from the bottom your right on.

Pro Action rear shocks opinions. if u have em-img_1365.jpg

Last edited by King-a-ling; 02-15-2016 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TOFTS (07-13-2016)