Sponsored by:

Hd Ride Planner

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Hd Ride Planner

When using the website to plan a route is it better to create the route with multiple locations or just put in start and end locations and adjust with waypoints?
I find it easier to plot a route on back roads with multiple locations but I haven't downloaded one yet to see how it would be to follow.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

never used it....what is it?

Old 02-03-2016, 10:28 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

I use it for a Garmin auto unit when on motorcycle trips.
The HD ride planner is a good tool but you really need to understand it.
Some examples:
Break the trip up into smaller segments.
Something like stop 1, then stop 2, then stop 3 and so on.
Each one with a start and end point.
Stop 1 is one trip.
Stop 2 another trip
Stop 3 another trip.
A touring day might have 3 or 4 trips in it.
Each with a start, then multiple waypoints and the endpoint.
Each trip should have less than 18? waypoints.
When you plant a waypoint, make sure to zoom and make sure it is on the road.
The waypoints are to twist the arm of the GPS unit from re-calculating for distance or time.
If there is an intersection that might send you along a shorter path, make sure to plant some waypoints.
The return route will not match the outbound route so make sure to program that as a separate trip in the same manner.
I have witnessed more than 1 rider get rather upset when they set-off for their trip and then find out "their" map was useless for their intentions.
The logic is the HD TRIP PLANNER just sends points to my garmin unit and not a true map as drawn. My Garmin unit then makes its own decisions on how it wants to travel.
As explained above, this is how i have used my Garmin unit on single and multi-day trips, as i like to study and create routes that will provide the greatest enjoyment for me.
You may wish to consider reviewing something called MADMAPS for their paper maps that show scenic motorcycle roads.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:28 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Always check the map on your device before departing...check to see if it matches your creation.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Recon4
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Totally agree with im and using Mad Maps. I've been using them for years: http://madmaps.net/

Old 02-03-2016, 10:47 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Harley Ride Planner is a great tool if you take the time to use it correctly and understand how it works with your GPS.

I think one of the most important thing to remember is that waypoints are your friend, and the more waypoints you use will help keep the GPS route the same as what you planned on Ride Planner. For multi weeks or multi day trips I've found it is better to break each day into separate start and stop points.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:53 AM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

I've tried to plan a route with RP and add waypoints to force the route how I want. But it always makes each waypoint to waypoint a separate trip and I'd have to load the next 'trip' once I reached the waypoint. Is this the way it works or operator error?

Old 02-03-2016, 11:44 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by us1fountain
I've tried to plan a route with RP and add waypoints to force the route how I want. But it always makes each waypoint to waypoint a separate trip and I'd have to load the next 'trip' once I reached the waypoint. Is this the way it works or operator error?
Sounds like when you are importing your GPX file to the bike you are selecting more than just the destination. Within a GPX file there can be multiple trips or destinations listed so next time you import a route to the bike try selecting only the destination you want and not any of the other selections.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I like Tyre and here's a good video that uses Ride Planner and Tyre so you can see the difference:

Old 02-03-2016, 12:34 PM
wing_rdr
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
I like Tyre and here's a good video that uses Ride Planner and Tyre so you can see the difference:
HD Boom Route Import - YouTube

I have used Tyre for a couple of years now and I find that it is a little easier than the HD Ride Planner because it is based on Google Maps/Google Earth which is easier to use than some of the mapping used by HD Ride Planner. It comes down to personal choice and your knowledge of what the software does. And I always do a dry run on the computer for the route to ensure that there are no surprises. Sometimes it is just no fun going down a road you had no interest in riding while wondering what the heck you are doing on it.

Quick Reply: Hd Ride Planner