Sponsored by:

Hd Ride Planner

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:00 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
cwsharp - that does not appear to work for me - especially since I need a gpx file to load these directions in my bike.

Try this method (copy the url and paste)

http://bedsforcyclists.co.uk/article...px-your-phone/
It is easy to convert the files with help on the internet if need be but I don't need a GPX. My BaseCamp will import a KML. I have no idea what the relationship is between HD's GPS and BaseCamp however. I use a Garmin. KML to GPX:

http://gpx2kml.com/

Old 04-01-2016, 04:00 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is long old thread, but it seemed like a good place to try to get some help with Ride Planner. It's driving me nuts. I'm hoping someone with some Ride Planner expertise (and a few minutes to spare) can clue me in on what I'm doing wrong. I'll explain what I'm trying to do, and attach some screen shots to hopefully make it clear.

I'm trying to plan a route for an upcoming western NC/North GA trip. In this example, I'm starting at the junction of NC 215 and US 64 near Rosman, NC.

So I set my starting location right at the NC 215/US 64 junction:

My intended route is west on US 64 to north on NC 281, up past Lake Toxaway, up to Tuckaseegee, then on to Wayah Rd, and ultimately to Murphy, NC.

So I start dropping waypoint along my intended route:

So far, so good, right? But as soon as I drop another waypoint just a little bit farther north on NC 281, this happens:

It's got me going in circles. And check out the insane directions:

I've tried putting waypoints closer together, farther apart, deleting waypoints...nothing seems to work.

So what am I doing wrong. Would anyone care to duplicate my steps to see if does the same thing for them.

Thanks in advance for any help. This is driving me bat-$hit crazy.

Scott

Old 04-01-2016, 04:25 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Place more way points and closer together.
System will re-try to re-calculate sometimes.
Sometimes it requires you to place a few waypoints rather close together in order to force the system to take your route.
Alternatively, just cut the trip into segments if the problem persists.
Trip segment 1, then trip segment 2, then trip segment 3.
Remember that your GPS system will most likely only remember waypoints and recalculate on its own based on that information.
It really does not care what you want but instead works on information input.
The GPS UNIT will recalculate for distance and time based on its own thinking.
The more waypoints the more likely the unit will follow the created map.
Plenty of frustrated folks in the mountains when their generated map is not followed by their GPS because it forced a turn to save a mile.
Check the map in the GPS

Old 04-01-2016, 06:14 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser

Thanks for the input, but even spacing the waypoints extremely close tigether doesn't solve the problem:

Plus, it's not just recalculating a different route. It looks like it's sending me back to one of my earlier waypoints.

I tried this same route, using the same procedure, in Tyre, and it worked flawlessly. I've been trying to avoid switching over to Tyre, but it looks like I may have to.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,193 Posts

scottky-

I believe it is because you only have 1 location - so, the map is taking you back to the only location you have.

Try this - enter your start point and then your end point (both as location), Now, go in and drop your waypoints.

When I plan my trips, everything is listed as a location until I have my route planned. Then, I go back and change those from locations to waypoints.

Another trick - go into your map, change all the waypoints to locations. What you wlll see it that the waypoints have changed your planned route (look at the numbers) - the last waypoint entered may now be the first stop. By changing them to locations, you can move them up or down and plot your route. Then, when finished, change them to waypoints and you will be all set.

Last edited by cycle7447; 04-01-2016 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ScottKY (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 07:30 PM
HD-Gyro
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Route

Unless you want to really take a out of the way route, it is easier to place your start, then the finish, then the waypoints. To make a waypoint simply click on the route and a dot will appear. you can then drag that waypoint to wherever you want to go. You can add up to about 50 waypoints with the recent versions of the Boom software.

You have to be VERY careful where you place the waypoints. There have been times where I have placed a waypoint on the wrong side of a divided highway and the program tries to make me get off, turn around and go back to the other side of the road. You can also place waypoints in the middle of a field, in a stadium or other useless locations. If you think this has happened when you are riding, go to options and delete that waypoint. When it's gone, the routing will then correct and head you off to the following waypoint. Hopefully where you really want to go.

I don't know your desired route, but I did a map following the steps listed.

Last edited by HD-Gyro; 04-01-2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added map
The following users liked this post:
ScottKY (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 07:57 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser

scottky-

I believe it is because you only have 1 location - so, the map is taking you back to the only location you have.
Eureka! That's it. That's exactly what was happening. I thought it was possible to start with a single location and then sequentially start adding waypoints without having a 2nd location. But apparently that's not the case.

I really, really appreciate the help.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:00 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Great - now go ahead and change your waypoints to locations and look at the numbers. Simply move them up or down to the order you want and all should be good.

HD-Gyro was saying the same thing I said

Old 04-01-2016, 08:04 PM
ScottKY
Cruiser

Great - now go ahead and change your waypoints to locations and look at the numbers. Simply move them up or down to the order you want and all should be good.

HD-Gyro was saying the same thing I said
Yep, works like it's supposed to.

Thanks very much to both of you guys for your help. This forum rocks!

Old 04-01-2016, 08:13 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad we could help.

Yes, it is indeed a great forum - I have picked up some good pointers here too.

Enjoy

Quick Reply: Hd Ride Planner