Sponsored by:

Hd Ride Planner

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 02:53 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by HD-Gyro
Once you have your route created in ride planner click on the GPS Sync icon in the upper right portion of the screen just outside the map area. A window will open. If you are sending it to your Boom system choose "Manual Mode" and then "Save as GPX file". Save it to your flash drive then take the flash drive to the USB connector in the fairing compartment on your ride.

Same precautions as noted earlier in other forum threads about clean USB drive, FAT32 format, etc.
Thanx

Old 02-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by merdahl
Hmmm, looks like more than 20 to me. No error messages....

If I continue peppering the waypoints, I eventually get the 20 limit. I guess that limit applies to the number of waypoints between locations. There is a possible work around for you...

That may be what I need to do. Currently I just use TWO "Locations" - start and end - with waypoints in between. May need to break down ride with more Locations and keep waypoints between each under twenty.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:58 PM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
That may be what I need to do. Currently I just use TWO "Locations" - start and end - with waypoints in between. May need to break down ride with more Locations and keep waypoints between each under twenty.
As I said earlier, when you import a multi-location route it gets broken up into segments on the boom. Very convenient for multi-day trips.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:17 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

The key to my approach is exporting and importing KML files... so if you aren't comfortable with that, then this won't work for you.

I think that Google Maps is the easiest way to "lay out" a route because you can just drag the route to where you want to go. You can also get information along the route without a "proprietary" ad supported content being your first choice but you have to know where you want to go for some items (tent camping, for example). You can get tired of messing with waypoints, however. Here Basecamp can help eliminate the extra work with waypoints by creating a custom configuration of a vehicle.

Basecamp does the best job of providing information about each leg of the journey by using point to point time and distance... so you can, if you take the time to include estimated layovers, etc. figure out how many >hours< you want to ride which to me is more important than miles.

Rideplanner gives you information about HD dealer locations plus supported "partners" such as sponsored hotels.

You can find data files online that you can import into basecamp that provides dealership locations, however, so you can bypass Basecamp if this is one of your goals.

To plan long trips with day separations I start out with a Google Map. (although Basecamp does a pretty good job of avoiding roads you don't want to go on... interstates, toll roads, etc.) so sometimes is is useful to just rely on BaseCamp. Anyway, plan a day's ride in Google by guestimating ride time for total trip length, export it to a KML file, and then import it into Basecamp... see:

Note that this creates a route with directions. (This preserves your waypoints.) Once you have modified the day's ride to your liking save the route as one day. Copy the route and delete everything from it except your last stop and start a new route from there. Build in the next approximate map in Google Maps and repeat the import and adjustments.

You can use Google Earth to follow your route in 3D if you want. You can also get a good look at terrain in Google Maps/Google Earth.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:27 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
The key to my approach is exporting and importing KML files... so if you aren't comfortable with that, then this won't work for you.

How do you export a Google map?? I can't find any way to do it??

Old 02-22-2016, 05:31 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tdkkart
How do you export a Google map?? I can't find any way to do it??
Are you logged in to your account and making a map in "my maps"?

If you select the horizontal bars in the upper left that will take you to a menu that has export to KML on it.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:42 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,193 Posts

cwsharp - that does not appear to work for me - especially since I need a gpx file to load these directions in my bike.

Try this method (copy the url and paste)

http://bedsforcyclists.co.uk/article...px-your-phone/

Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 AM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
cwsharp - that does not appear to work for me - especially since I need a gpx file to load these directions in my bike.

Not happening for me either.........

Besides, BaseCrap is a gigantic steaming pile of crap that is a pain in the *** to use.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:31 PM
drumerdan
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great explanation...
My question is this...
when I try to copy my "Route" or trip to the Boom system, I get a database full error message... How can I delete this database?
will I lose my saved places that I saved while actually riding?

Old 02-22-2016, 07:11 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,193 Posts

drumerdan - is sounds like you have saved all of your trips onto your bike system - and te database is now full.

My suggestion - simply transfer some of those rides back to your flash drive and keep them, I have them on both my PC hard drive and flash drive. The flash drive stays in the bike - just ion case I need to reinstall a ride.

Quick Reply: Hd Ride Planner