Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hd Ride Planner

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:59 PM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In Rideplanner, you can easily do a multi-day ride. Just make the overnite stops locations with waypoints in between to maintain your route. Layout the entire ride. Export the entire route to a gpx file. When you import to Boom, it will be broken up into days for you at the overnite stops (locations). The individual routes will have a suffix added; MyRoute, MyRoute02, MyRoute03, etc. No need to go doing that manually. The hardest part will be remembering what day of the ride you are on.
Oh, and Rideplanner does not have a 20 waypoint limit as mentioned in a previous post.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:50 PM
bigwave916
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 20 Waypoint Limit

Originally Posted by merdahl
In Rideplanner, you can easily do a multi-day ride. Just make the overnite stops locations with waypoints in between to maintain your route. Layout the entire ride. Export the entire route to a gpx file. When you import to Boom, it will be broken up into days for you at the overnite stops (locations). The individual routes will have a suffix added; MyRoute, MyRoute02, MyRoute03, etc. No need to go doing that manually. The hardest part will be remembering what day of the ride you are on.
Oh, and Rideplanner does not have a 20 waypoint limit as mentioned in a previous post.
Sure could have fooled me. I tried mapping out the Blue Ridge Parkway since there were no user created maps, and to stay on the Parkway I need a lot of waypoints. Kept bumping into the limit. I'm not telling you that you're wrong, just that it didn't work for me.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:05 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by merdahl
This is close enough for me

Old 02-17-2016, 08:17 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

can you use a cellphone to do all this? I'm thinking that a lot of trip days we don't know where we are going to stop for the night and it would be nice to do up a quick map to get a start for the next day. Can this be done and downloaded to the bike from an android phone? Sorry if that's been covered somewhere, but I really didn't get to play with the gps very much before the bike went away for the winter.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:41 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by jlasoftail
can you use a cellphone to do all this? I'm thinking that a lot of trip days we don't know where we are going to stop for the night and it would be nice to do up a quick map to get a start for the next day. Can this be done and downloaded to the bike from an android phone? Sorry if that's been covered somewhere, but I really didn't get to play with the gps very much before the bike went away for the winter.
I've got Ride Planner app on my iPhone and it works fine. All my rides are available too.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:43 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
I've got Ride Planner app on my iPhone and it works fine. All my rides are available too.
thanks. i'll have to look for one for android. Hopefully i can figure out how to get it from the phone to the bike.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:11 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,955 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Something else to consider - when you stop for the night, use the hotel computer, go to ride planner, complete the next trip - save it to a flash drive and upload it to the bike.

I have done that a number of times.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:43 PM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
This is close enough for me
Hmmm, looks like more than 20 to me. No error messages....

If I continue peppering the waypoints, I eventually get the 20 limit. I guess that limit applies to the number of waypoints between locations. There is a possible work around for you...

Last edited by merdahl; 02-18-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:26 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

I must be retarted. How do I get a saved route to a flash drive?

Old 02-18-2016, 02:42 PM
HD-Gyro
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Download

Once you have your route created in ride planner click on the GPS Sync icon in the upper right portion of the screen just outside the map area. A window will open. If you are sending it to your Boom system choose "Manual Mode" and then "Save as GPX file". Save it to your flash drive then take the flash drive to the USB connector in the fairing compartment on your ride.

Same precautions as noted earlier in other forum threads about clean USB drive, FAT32 format, etc.

Quick Reply: Hd Ride Planner