Sponsored by:

Harley sales

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:53 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
That about sums it up. I like the bikes but hate the image. I know a lot of people that ride that steer clear of HD because of the image.
That's me, times a billion. When it comes to "Harley riders", I'm the rarest of the rare...

A friend of mine, who doesn't ride, was giving me some **** about being a "Harley rider". I told him I wasn't a Harley rider. He asked me what I ride, and I told him, which he already knew, that I ride a Harley. I got the classic "WTF" look, and I said:

I'm not a Harley rider. I'm a motorcyclist who loves Harley-Davidsons. It's not the same thing.

At all.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:57 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

They do what they do because they mostly do it best. Most who actually try a Harley love it. Sure we all complain about stock suspensions, seats, bars, high prices...general harley tax...and then we go ride our bikes and grin like crazy...we could go buy all these "better bikes" but mostly we don't because they are not better in the ways we care about most...namely the actual feel and enjoyment of the bike and motor. Harley's generally just feel better. No else gets this as "right" as they do...at least for those of us that prefer them. My wife has parked her Ducati and Triumph next to my Harley's for years. She loves her bikes...well, last summer she decided to buy a 48...everything else is gathering dust since...including her Diavel. The 48 just feels better to her. I think Harley just needs to get more riders to give it a shot. The Sportster is a platform that can reach a lot of people, especially if they package at least one model more for a universal market.

Last edited by Thingfish; 01-25-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Stock off the show room floor my bike was a horrible ride. Several thousand dollars in upgrades it is at best average. The rice burners are a pleasure to ride off the show room floor and require no upgrades out the door.
This is where our experiences differ. Setting aside the need for a better suspension on every Harley I've ridden except my Road King, Harley's feel infinitely more pleasurable to ride to me, and not just because of their sound. Their motor has a feel and character that has never been close to matched by the other manufacturers. Moto Guzzi would be my 2nd choice in the matter. I can appreciate the smooth, appliance-like motors from the big 4, and their power is impressive...but once I'm not accelerating I'm bored to tears by these sterile homogenized cookie cutters. They just don't move me. So despite all their impressive design and modernized efficiency, I fail to find them "pleasurable". I agree it's a curse and lower prices would help the customer base grow, but I would not want to see HD abandon their ancient broken perfect results. I'm even more cursed than you because my preference goes back to the Evo motor which is getting scarcer...

Last edited by Thingfish; 01-25-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:27 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
They do what they do because they mostly do it best. Most who actually try a Harley love it. Sure we all complain about stock suspensions, seats, bars, high prices...general harley tax...and then we go ride our bikes and grin like crazy...we could go buy all these "better bikes" but mostly we don't because they are not better in the ways we care about most...namely the actual feel and enjoyment if the bike and motor. Harley's generally just feel better. No else gets this as "right" as they do...at least for those of us that prefer them. My wife has parked her Ducati and Triumph next to my Harley's for years. She loves her bikes...well, last summer she decided to buy a 48...everything else is gathering dust since...including her Diavel. The 48 just feels better to her. I think Harley just needs to get more riders to give it a shot. The Sportster is a platform that can reach a lot of people, especially if they package at least one model more for a universal market.
You are dead on. The grins and feeling of being in the wind is priceless on a Harley. The sportster is a great platform but the badboys of HD make fun of it and scare buyers away. I rode metric for years because i was not ready for a touring bike and raising 2 boys and having medical bills from a disabled wife kept me from spending big money on a softail. I could afford the sporty but everyone said it was a girls bike and not a true HD and being younger and having a image kept me from purchasing HD but we all get wiser with age lol. Harley makes great bikes maybe they should lower the price on some models to get younger generations to look at them

Old 01-26-2016, 06:32 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Thumbs up Spot-on!

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Pretty much. That's the image that the MoCo is fighting, and, unfortunately, every single thing they're doing is only reinforcing it.

You are apparently utterly unaware that the opinions from the "rich friends" and the "little girl" are the only ones that matter to H-D. Insulting the MoCo's primary outreach demographics, that is, the groups of people from whom new customers will come, is not helping.

One of the major problems with HD's sagging sales is you, and your direct personal insults.

You, and everybody else like you who runs prospective new customers away, because the newer, younger buyer doesn't want to wear a doo-rag and a vest covered in pins and patches and buttons and bows. And chaps. And made in China "engineer boots" with riveted on crapmetal Harley logos. And an "OL" on the back with a pink doo-rag and matching tank top covered in sequined HD logos. And neither one would ever wear a helmet, because it clashes with "the look".

And if the potential new customers walk in and see nothing but 850 pound geezer glides or bikes with forward controls that bend you in half, or think they're going to be laughed at because they want to wear a full coverage helmet that isn't flat black and armored textile jacket that isn't black, they'll just turn around and leave.

Which is exactly what they're doing, which is one of the reasons why bike sales are booming and the number of women riders is booming, and Harley is in serious trouble in the marketplace.

Nope, and bringing out "new" bikes that are nothing but a different $20,000 reshuffling of existing models and engines isn't going to change a thing.
Totally agree!

Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

That's me, times a billion. When it comes to "Harley riders", I'm the rarest of the rare...

A friend of mine, who doesn't ride, was giving me some **** about being a "Harley rider". I told him I wasn't a Harley rider. He asked me what I ride, and I told him, which he already knew, that I ride a Harley. I got the classic "WTF" look, and I said:

I'm not a Harley rider. I'm a motorcyclist who loves Harley-Davidsons. It's not the same thing.

At all.

What he said.....

Old 01-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

At all.
You are describing more of the standard I see on a regular basis. Here in SoCal about 50% of all bikes I see on a daily basis are Harley's ridden by normal people. Same in NYC for the three months I'm there every year...everyone is usually on a Sportster or a Thruxton around the city...again, just regular riders navigating the streets. Occasionally a Duc or a Yamaha/Honda. I see the pirates and the tough guys once in a great while, but they seem to be the rarity or just the weekend warriors. I'm sure it doesn't take much to reinforce old stereotypes, but that's not going to change any time soon. As you pointed out, you're a motorcycle enthusiast who loves Harleys...I think of myself the same way. These bikes just speak to me more than any other ride, despite their flaws.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:46 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

If I had the spare cash and spare garage space, I'd have a KTM Super Duke R faster than you could blink. But it would be a second bike, not my only bike, for a very important reason...

I love the look of my Road Glide, I love the ride, yes, I love the history and the heritage of the Motor Company, and I can jump on it right now and ride 10,000 miles and enjoy every single minute.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

If I had the spare cash and spare garage space, I'd have a KTM Super Duke R faster than you could blink. But it would be a second bike, not my only bike, for a very important reason...

I love the look of my Road Glide, I love the ride, yes, I love the history and the heritage of the Motor Company, and I can jump on it right now and ride 10,000 miles and enjoy every single minute.
Amen!

Old 01-26-2016, 03:22 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,957 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Lots of discussion here.

In my early years, I rode Yamaha, Kawasaki and then Wings for years. I moved to Harley in 2004. Since then, it has been the Ultra Classics and Limited version.

I have never had the Harley "Bad Boy Image - and consider myself a motorcycle rider that happens to ride a Harley.

My son rides - went to Sturgis with me and I offered him a Harley - just take your pick He rode them all - and then said, he wanted a Suzuki Boulevard Boss - all blacked out.

When we can - we ride together - just riders and our passengers - out for a great time.

Quick Reply: Harley sales