Sponsored by:

Harley sales

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:44 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Racin929
Its unfair to put the Harley in the same category as the Hondas, yammy and kaw's. The HD sells only cruiser lines while the others sell Dirt bikes, quads, rice rockets, mopeds, scooters.. ect. Did I metion pianos? anyway...
Put a cruiser line against cruiser line and see the results a little more clear.
HD sells to the older crowd for a reason.
Honda,yammy,kaws sell most of their stuff the younger generations that can afford the $3k bikes on their minimum wage.
Those OR most that buy the jap stuff eventually grow out of them or grow a pair and get Harleys.
They have more $ by then, more experience and know right from wrong...
We all have to grow up sometime, when we do, we get Harley-Davidson

Oh that's being silly. Yeah I see a lot of 20 something's riding around on Goldwing's LOL. I rode metrics for years (I just bought my first Harley in September 15). Being an engineer for 28 years, I could definitely afford anything I wanted. I choose to ride metrics until I rode the HO 103 engine. up until then, nothing Harley made could keep up with my old metrics.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:16 AM
canonelan2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Harley makes exactly what I like (with a few after marker mods)...i dont know how successful they'd be if they tried to spread the brand out. The V-Rod has remained a niche model, the new Streets are not appealing bikes IMO - just kinda uninteresting design, the Buells almost found their groove...I think the Livewire has real potential, but again it'll be niche for a long time. The Sportster has been a huge model for them over the past decade. I bet they sell around the same numbers as the touring bikes. That is a platform worth reaching the crossover market with (if there is one). Maybe offer a long warranty (like Hyundai did in 2002...10 year/100,000) to earn trust with non-believers...add premium suspension options and give it a simple custom order option or swappable dealer packages to tailor to customer taste/needs...

Oh, and add a scrambler and roadster...
Offering a longer warranty would go a long way to prove they stand behind their products. One of the reasons I bought a Hyundai. I'd like the warranty to last as long as a 5 year loan.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:36 AM
canonelan2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other problem HD has is the "premium" nature of it. When someone looks at their brand new $25K car with all the bells and whistles (better warranty, 1st year of scheduled service free, free loaners) then they look at what they can get for a $25K Harley (and their lack of amenities) it's immediately apparent that HD's are more expensive than they should be. Harley can keep those prices up if they offer more value for that dollar.

One way to get the younger crowd to give HD more than just a passing glance is for HD to become way more tech savvy... HD should be working with Apple to become the first motorcycle company with their "CarPlay" system. BikePlay? We don't need some crappily designed touch screen system with half-assed GPS software, we need something that INTEGRATES seamlessly with our digital lives just like CarPlay does for the auto makers.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

In general, a 20K+ motorcycle won't be the norm for the pre-35yo crowd. Those bikes ARE what they want BUT can't afford!

Old 01-22-2016, 03:34 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
Oh that's being silly. Yeah I see a lot of 20 something's riding around on Goldwing's LOL. I rode metrics for years (I just bought my first Harley in September 15). Being an engineer for 28 years, I could definitely afford anything I wanted. I choose to ride metrics until I rode the HO 103 engine. up until then, nothing Harley made could keep up with my old metrics.
I agree. I rode metric when i was younger for the power. Still to this day HD dont make anything to keep up with metrics. Now if you spend thousands of dollars in engine work it will keep up with the metrics but i did not buy my HD for speed i bought it for the looks,sound and comfort.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Racin929
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I raced for 6 years. Pro stunter for 3 more. raised on Honda and yammy. Sponsored by numerous oils, tires, local businesses and dealers. I had a great time, and met great people. I know how to effectively use the power on those bikes.
That being said, I really dont need all that power again. The HD 103 is just fine for me. A stage 1 and I'm set. And I never had as much camaraderie between bikers then as I do now. Easier for family as well, especially when the wife loves it as much as I do.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by canonelan2
Offering a longer warranty would go a long way to prove they stand behind their products. One of the reasons I bought a Hyundai. I'd like the warranty to last as long as a 5 year loan.
I recall when Hyundai first started selling cars in the US, in the early 80's. One of my co workers bought one, an Excel, I believe. Was in the shop a lot.
After several years of poor quality crappy cars, Hyundai had to offer a long warranty to get anyone to buy them. It was a marketing thing.
The alternative was to exit the market. Their strategy paid off.

You do realize that warranties are not free. The manufacturers add a cost component to cover anticipated repair costs for the warranty, the longer the warranty, the more they spend on reimbursements, the more it adds to the cost of the vehicle. All expenses, including warranty reimbursements, must be recovered before a profit can be made.

Last edited by Brewmany; 01-22-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:06 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Honda,yammy,kaws sell most of their stuff the younger generations that can afford the $3k bikes on their minimum wage.
Those OR most that buy the jap stuff eventually grow out of them or grow a pair and get Harleys.
They have more $ by then, more experience and know right from wrong...
We all have to grow up sometime, when we do, we get Harley-Davidson
I didn't buy a harley to prove that 'I grew a pair'. I think this attitude is what pushes people away. I rode this summer with a bunch of rich oil and gas guys. Not one had nor would *ever* consider a harley. They all had brand new adventure bikes.

You know, I had lunch this week with a bunch of younger coworkers. They all laugh at harley. We might think we're being macho but as one gal said 'when I see a harley, there's always a middle aged, pot bellied white guy on it.'

Old 01-22-2016, 10:01 PM
Racin929
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondGear
I didn't buy a harley to prove that 'I grew a pair'. I think this attitude is what pushes people away. I rode this summer with a bunch of rich oil and gas guys. Not one had nor would *ever* consider a harley. They all had brand new adventure bikes.

You know, I had lunch this week with a bunch of younger coworkers. They all laugh at harley. We might think we're being macho but as one gal said 'when I see a harley, there's always a middle aged, pot bellied white guy on it.'
Well what do I know. Being a Harley forum and all, I would think you would support the HD brand instead of telling your stories of your rich friends that hate the brand.
As for the little girl comment. You should prob sell yours and try to get lucky.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:05 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well what do I know. Being a Harley forum and all, I would think you would support the HD brand instead of telling your stories of your rich friends that hate the brand.
As for the little girl comment. You should prob sell yours and try to get lucky.
I'm no fanboy. Facts are facts. I'd prefer to call it as I see it.

And thanks for proving my point about the macho crap.

Rich and poor, young and old - they're not buying harley. 2015 was a record year for motorcycle sales and harley sales were down. You can denigrate me all you like - you're just killing the messenger.

I grew up in the 60s and 70s. If anyone at that time said honda civics and subarus would be the hottest cars they would be laughed out of the room. Times change and what people want changes too. Adapt or die.

Quick Reply: Harley sales