Sponsored by:

Harley sales

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
WE left or you were told that WE are leaving.

Well how in the hell do you think that went down??????? LOL

Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
my fiance is from the bible belt and i ran into the same issue when i went in to buy my new road king in december. When we were in the dealership a scantly clad elf came up and extended an invitation to their xxx naughty christmas party citing it was male only. Needless to say that didn't go over very well and we left. I had to explain that it was part of the culture but there is also a blessing of the bikes and other family stuff that goes on.

The rallies/runs/whatever i don't care what goes on but i question doing it out of the dealerships.
Originally Posted by jclax01
we left or you were told that we are leaving.

well how in the hell do you think that went down??????? Lol
lmao!!!! I think I know how that went down!!

Old 01-21-2016, 02:58 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumbles
I think they need to offer up a full line of motorcycles from little 50 cc kids bikes up to the big bikes we all know and love. Get people interested and loving their products from early on in life and they will keep coming back for more! Harley did build a wide assortment of products before maybe time to revisit the past!

They used to have 50cc and up mini bikes and dirt bikes. back in the 70's and 80's but stopped?

Last edited by bill_1202; 01-21-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

2015 was a record year for motorcycle sales and Harley was down. That's really bad news.

Take a look at any article covering the top ten motorcycles for 2015. Harley can only compete in one category. If they don't change, and soon, they will go the way of Oldsmobile.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:51 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Harley makes exactly what I like (with a few after marker mods)...i dont know how successful they'd be if they tried to spread the brand out. The V-Rod has remained a niche model, the new Streets are not appealing bikes IMO - just kinda uninteresting design, the Buells almost found their groove...I think the Livewire has real potential, but again it'll be niche for a long time. The Sportster has been a huge model for them over the past decade. I bet they sell around the same numbers as the touring bikes. That is a platform worth reaching the crossover market with (if there is one). Maybe offer a long warranty (like Hyundai did in 2002...10 year/100,000) to earn trust with non-believers...add premium suspension options and give it a simple custom order option or swappable dealer packages to tailor to customer taste/needs...

Oh, and add a scrambler and roadster...

Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 PM
Racin929
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Its unfair to put the Harley in the same category as the Hondas, yammy and kaw's. The HD sells only cruiser lines while the others sell Dirt bikes, quads, rice rockets, mopeds, scooters.. ect. Did I metion pianos? anyway...
Put a cruiser line against cruiser line and see the results a little more clear.
HD sells to the older crowd for a reason.
Honda,yammy,kaws sell most of their stuff the younger generations that can afford the $3k bikes on their minimum wage.
Those OR most that buy the jap stuff eventually grow out of them or grow a pair and get Harleys.
They have more $ by then, more experience and know right from wrong...
We all have to grow up sometime, when we do, we get Harley-Davidson

Old 01-21-2016, 11:25 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

The goofy 'bad-***' marketing doesn't help either. It's actually out of touch with our culture in general and only appeals to a sliver of society. Riding an HD doesn't make the rider bad-***, and honestly I feel a bit sorry for those who think that it does.

I ride my road king because I love how it looks, how it sounds and how it rides, and I am not bad-***.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:49 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,359 Likes on 5,499 Posts

Not many 20 year olds can walk into a HD dealer and say I want that one . Put this on it and hand over the cash.
HD is doing ok with still respecting seasoned riders. Stopped by dealer yesterday a man in 60's did just that. Traded in his 2 year old ride for a new one paid cash and made the deal in about 15 minutes.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:11 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Talking

My fiance is from the bible belt and I ran into the same issue when I went in to buy my new road king in December. When we were in the dealership a scantly clad elf came up and extended an invitation to their XXX Naughty Christmas party citing it was male only. Needless to say that didn't go over very well and we left. I had to explain that it was part of the culture but there is also a blessing of the bikes and other family stuff that goes on.

The rallies/runs/whatever I don't care what goes on but I question doing it out of the dealerships.
Fiance, huh? Well, you STILL have a last-chance to get out of it free and clear - if ya wanna!

Old 01-22-2016, 08:17 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickatnyt
The goofy 'bad-***' marketing doesn't help either. It's actually out of touch with our culture in general and only appeals to a sliver of society. Riding an HD doesn't make the rider bad-***, and honestly I feel a bit sorry for those who think that it does.

I ride my road king because I love how it looks, how it sounds and how it rides, and I am not bad-***.
A-friggin'-men, Brother.

That "Bad-***" image is total BS to begin with, and is totally inappropriate and out of touch with today's culture.

Remember "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"? That nearly did the MOCO in back in the day.

Glad it didn't, but...

Quick Reply: Harley sales