Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley sales

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

"One potential female buyer was also put off by Harley promotions featuring skimpily clad women."

Yup! It also creates issues for existing customers; when the wives of some Harley-Davidson buyers see it, and are put off by it. It's not a deal breaker, in my case, but it's just one more unnecessary hurdle that I have to clear in order to buy the darn bike. YMMV

Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

+bwana1 This f-up economy doesn't help either.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:49 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
"One potential female buyer was also put off by Harley promotions featuring skimpily clad women."

Yup! It also creates issues for existing customers; when the wives of some Harley-Davidson buyers see it, and are put off by it. It's not a deal breaker, in my case, but it's just one more unnecessary hurdle that I have to clear in order to buy the darn bike. YMMV
I've never understood that hurdle. My woman knows that Im looking at T&A all day, every day, every chance I get. Hell, she points it out to me. Who are these prudes?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:55 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumbles
I think they need to offer up a full line of motorcycles from little 50 cc kids bikes up to the big bikes we all know and love. Get people interested and loving their products from early on in life and they will keep coming back for more! Harley did build a wide assortment of products before maybe time to revisit the past!

Never gonna happen. Harley honestly is not big enough to compete in that market with the yams, kaws and Honda's. I was REALLY surprised at the introduction of the street 500 and 750 lines. I wonder how long did the concept of the Harley street line float around before the big wigs pulled that trigger.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
I am seeing more guys/gals in their late 20's to mid 30's buying more touring bikes than before. The Rushmore's are not just baby boomers anymore I am mid 40s and been riding touring since late 30's. IMO the 28+ year old riders are settling into their careers and passing on the smaller bikes because well most HD riders say "the sportster is a girls bike and the street is not a true harley" so they either pony up for a softail or a touring bike or just leave HD and go metric. I rode metric for most of my riding days because of this very reason.

Man you are 100% dead on with this. I wonder if the softail and dyna's are even turning a profit for Harley. EVERYONE is getting touring models. The rushmores have helped this a too. Even if someone cannot afford a rushmore (people traded in their older pre rushmore bikes), they get an older used pre rushmore Harley touring bike. And honestly the prices for the pre rushmore models are down a bit.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:07 AM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dropped by Dealer on Sat to pick up my bike (overdue recall) they were having one of their Saturday galas with burgers and such --- probably about 100 +/- attendees --- don't think there was anyone under 45 unless it was a "girlfriend" of sorts --- pretty amazing all the gray hair --- mine included -- just say'n

Old 01-21-2016, 09:19 AM
HDultralowGA
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by woodmnctry
Dropped by Dealer on Sat to pick up my bike (overdue recall) they were having one of their Saturday galas with burgers and such --- probably about 100 +/- attendees --- don't think there was anyone under 45 unless it was a "girlfriend" of sorts --- pretty amazing all the gray hair --- mine included -- just say'n
...And don't think they haven't trained the sales staff to recognize this. Just let an older dude like myself walk into a dealership and watch the sales people start stumbling over one another to get to you.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:30 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways

My fiance is from the bible belt and I ran into the same issue when I went in to buy my new road king in December. When we were in the dealership a scantly clad elf came up and extended an invitation to their XXX Naughty Christmas party citing it was male only. Needless to say that didn't go over very well and we left. I had to explain that it was part of the culture but there is also a blessing of the bikes and other family stuff that goes on.

The rallies/runs/whatever I don't care what goes on but I question doing it out of the dealerships.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:30 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Several years ago Keith Wandell dumped Buell and MV Augusta to "concentrate on our core customers". I think that was a mistake.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:37 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by todd-67
My fiance is from the bible belt and I ran into the same issue when I went in to buy my new road king in December. When we were in the dealership a scantly clad elf came up and extended an invitation to their XXX Naughty Christmas party citing it was male only. Needless to say that didn't go over very well and we left. I had to explain that it was part of the culture but there is also a blessing of the bikes and other family stuff that goes on.

The rallies/runs/whatever I don't care what goes on but I question doing it out of the dealerships.

WE left or you were told that WE are leaving.

Quick Reply: Harley sales