Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley sales

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:20 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

As if the MoCo wasn't already under enough pressure...

http://rideapart.com/articles/victor...-weve-promised

For the record, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
That's me, times a billion. When it comes to "Harley riders", I'm the rarest of the rare...

A friend of mine, who doesn't ride, was giving me some **** about being a "Harley rider". I told him I wasn't a Harley rider. He asked me what I ride, and I told him, which he already knew, that I ride a Harley. I got the classic "WTF" look, and I said:

I'm not a Harley rider. I'm a motorcyclist who loves Harley-Davidsons. It's not the same thing.

At all.
This is an interesting thread, and that's a GREAT reply. I agree! While their will always be the loyal fan base I don't think the whole SOA image they promote is really going to bring in the Sport Touring or Adventure Riders which is where the "hot" market is right now.

I love the heck out of riding my Rushmore RoadKing but I'm almost 60. I like comfortably touring and tooling along at 70-75. The bike is pretty simple to work on and it reminds me of the bikes I grew up with.

I don't think any of that matters to the 20 or 30 year old rider who wants a 400 lb 180 MPH rocket or Round the World looking Adventure Bike they can go anywhere on - at half the price of one of these bikes.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:34 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by r2t2k2
I suspect that one thing that hurt the sales of either of those was that they were sold out of a traditional H-D dealership. I understand the reasons (or I think I do) for doing that, but it's those same reasons that kept many of the sportsbike riders out of the dealerships.

ding ding ding.... you nailed it right there. I understand that Harley wants to use its existing infrastructure of dealerships to sell its products, but who goes to a Harley dealership to shop for a sportsbike. Harley basically is not putting its product in front of the target audience. its like going to a chevy dealer to buy a new ford..... its just not logical.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
IMO The problem is the pricing....They have tried what you are referring to several times with a strike out. Buell=bust and the new street is looking like a bust as well. the majority riders i talk to and read about say HD is to high priced and have the bad boy image. The metrics being Kawi Honda Suzuki and Star have cut the cruiser models down with some success.
You may be right but my take is price is not the problem many make it out to be. KTM, BMW, Ducati, all sell expensive high end motorcycles and their sales are up.

Buell wasn't a sales flop because it was a bad idea. It was great idea that was just poorly executed. The original tube frame Cyclone, Lightning, and S3T (or whatever the sport tourer was called) were wonderful to ride, comfortable, an innovative. But they were encumbered with a Sportster engine/transmission and plagued with quality problems and recalls. The next Buells came out with a tiny GP spec 52" wheelbase because as a racer that's what Eric likes in a motorcycle, and it had problems too.

Firenailer mentioned he was almost 60 years old and loves riding his Road King, same here only I'm just over 60 . I hope HD can keep marketing these bikes as they really work well for what they are but branch out to reach the younger demographic as well. Lighter weight better performing bikes, retro scramblers and cafe racers, adventure bike or dual sport, etc. But DO IT RIGHT!

edit: I must credit HD for the new Low Rider S, now just *completely* redesign the Sportster line with a high performing line up.

Last edited by Ridewva; 01-28-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:49 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by Firenailer

...While their will always be the loyal fan base I don't think the whole SOA image they promote is really going to bring in the Sport Touring or Adventure Riders which is where the "hot" market is right now.

...I don't think any of that matters to the 20 or 30 year old rider who wants a 400 lb 180 MPH rocket or Round the World looking Adventure Bike they can go anywhere on - at half the price of one of these bikes.
You've touched on what I think is the major mental hurdle that the MoCo needs to get over...their fear that if they actually bring out a bike for new riders, either a sport(ier) bike or an ADV or sport-touring bike, that it will somehow "anger" or drive away their existing customer base. While it's true that there are still a few dinosaurs who think the Evo is better than any newer motor, the vast majority of dedicated Harley customers will understand that bringing in new riders will only strengthen the brand, and strengthen the brand's profitability, and allow them to make improvements in all model lines.

Not to mention that if new riders come to H-D because of a new model line, when they get older, what brand of Touring bike do you think they'll think of first?

I'm very, very disappointed in the two new 2016.5 models. Nothing but a reshuffling of existing models, motors, and trim. That is not going to bring one new customer into a dealership. Not one.

Meanwhile, in addition to the rock solid success of the Scout and Scout 60, Polaris is apparently about to release this:

Old 01-28-2016, 05:15 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
there are still a few dinosaurs who think the Evo is better than any newer motor

Guilty as charged. Believe me....I wish I preferred the newer motor. It would make my life so much easier. I really do marvel at my 2016 RK, It is just a fantastic bike on every level, but my Evo still feels the absolute best to me. It is a sickness...

Old 01-28-2016, 11:53 PM
threedeuce5
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Good Lord, all these chicken Littles out here in this thread....

Harley has been in business for over 100 years. You don think they've seen some rougher seas? If they folded tomorrow I'd still love my bikes and ride them until they died and it still would've been one helluva run for the MoCo

We will see what the future holds and adjust as we always do. Want a giggle? Go back in the touring forum to when the Rushmores were released. Look at all the guys sweating they will never own one and then check out their avatar pic or they're sig line. That almost all own Rushmores now.

Man I can't wait until winter is over...

Old 01-29-2016, 08:45 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Harley has their hands on a lot of things. I seriously doubt if they are going to go out of business in the near future. LOL

Old 01-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
BMW sells far fewer motorcycles here than Harley but nevertheless their sales have been increasing since they added sportier motorcycles to their mix.

"BMW Motorrad marked its fifth consecutive year of record-breaking sales in 2015, moving 136,963 units worldwide. That’s a 10.9% improvement over sales of motorcycles and maxi-scooters in 2014....."
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2016/0...sales-in-2015/
BMW sells to a totally different market base. I run upon a few on the road the R 1200 GS Adventure bikes and they are awesome looking and all performance bikes. They are made to go all day on the super slab in perfect comfort as well as offer an awesome choice if you want to turn down the dirt trail. I call that diversity. HD doesn't sell diversity or performance. It sells styling and nostalgia which is a market demand in its own right. I don't like taking HD's on gravel and well turning down a dirt trail well we all know thats suicide lol.

What HD needs to do is produce a product that requires absolutely no improvements as is off the showroom floor machine. No shocks, no exhaust, no performance upgrades. The basics should be awesome. Upgrades should be a personal option and not a mandatory thing to make the bike perform perfectly out the door. Don't get me wrong i like to customize but a customer should not be forced to customize to make it ride or perform well. For the price they charge the parts should be premium from the MOCO.

I've owned many different makes and never had to upgrade any of them except my HD's. HD puts to much emphasis on the aftermarket parts market. Why can't HD make a bike perform perfectly out the door is my question. Can you imagine auto companies requiring its buyers to buy new shocks, mod the engine or exhaust to get top performance off she showroom floor? I think HD needs to focus more on performance in the future all the way around.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:47 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
BMW sells to a totally different market base. I run upon a few on the road the R 1200 GS Adventure bikes and they are awesome looking and all performance bikes. They are made to go all day on the super slab in perfect comfort as well as offer an awesome choice if you want to turn down the dirt trail. I call that diversity. HD doesn't sell diversity or performance. It sells styling and nostalgia which is a market demand in its own right. I don't like taking HD's on gravel and well turning down a dirt trail well we all know thats suicide lol.

What HD needs to do is produce a product that requires absolutely no improvements as is off the showroom floor machine. No shocks, no exhaust, no performance upgrades. The basics should be awesome. Upgrades should be a personal option and not a mandatory thing to make the bike perform perfectly out the door. Don't get me wrong i like to customize but a customer should not be forced to customize to make it ride or perform well. For the price they charge the parts should be premium from the MOCO.

I've owned many different makes and never had to upgrade any of them except my HD's. HD puts to much emphasis on the aftermarket parts market. Why can't HD make a bike perform perfectly out the door is my question. Can you imagine auto companies requiring its buyers to buy new shocks, mod the engine or exhaust to get top performance off she showroom floor? I think HD needs to focus more on performance in the future all the way around.
Totally agree.

Quick Reply: Harley sales