Sponsored by:

Speakers - Hertz or BT

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:07 AM
sub_squoch
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers - Hertz or BT

I have a 2015 SGS w/ a completely stock 2 speakers audio system. This year my audio upgrades will be new fairing speakers and amp (keeping stock HU for now). I would like to install a system that I could eventually add on to (lowers, bag speakers, etc). I have narrowed my search down a pair of Hertz Mille Pro 165 powered by a Diamond Micro 4v2 or a pair of BT7P14 powered by a BT4180. Of course both set ups would have the BT line leveler. Cam, the guy selling the Hertz/Diamond says I do not need to modify the pods for the speakers to fit, but as I have read on this forum, it seems there are mixed thoughts on that. I should note that I am looking for a system that will sound good through town as well as 90 on the highway. I am also putting in a D&D exhaust this spring. Now I know there are lots of other options but I am looking for input on these two set ups - what would you guys recommend, etc?

Thx from a newbie!!!!

Old 01-16-2016, 08:43 AM
BMM48
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, it has to be Hertz. It's amazing how these choices seem to be influenced by which website/forum you are on but the sound of a Hertz system is simply well beyond that of BT. Don't get me wrong BT is good but it's not Hertz. Go to any audio show and you will see. Personally I'd recommend you go the SPL SV165. You do need to cut a small part but it can't be seen once you put the grill back on. I'd also recommend something one the Arc amp as it puts out a lot of power and is nice and small. Just my opinion of course.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:48 AM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BMM48
Personally I'd recommend you go the SPL SV165. You do need to cut a small part but it can't be seen once you put the grill back on. I'd also recommend something one the Arc amp as it puts out a lot of power and is nice and small. Just my opinion of course.
The SPL SV165 is a speaker correct? What size and why do you recommend that over the other hertz speakers? What part needs to be cut? What arc amp would you suggest?

Thanks for the response!!!!

Old 01-16-2016, 09:19 AM
BMM48
Tourer

The 165 is. 6.5 inch speaker. The SPL is the top of the range Hertz and for the few extra dollars up front you certainly won't be disappointed. I can sit on 90 plus and hear crystal clear tunes.

For the amp, I reckon you can't go wrong with Arc, Hertz or JL but the type depends on what else you may do. Are you just going to do the front speakers?

The following users liked this post:
shovelheaddave62 (06-13-2019)
Old 01-16-2016, 09:22 AM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

The 165 is. 6.5 inch speaker. The SPL is the top of the range Hertz and for the few extra dollars up front you certainly won't be disappointed. I can sit on 90 plus and hear crystal clear tunes.

For the amp, I reckon you can't go wrong with Arc, Hertz or JL but the type depends on what else you may do. Are you just going to do the front speakers?
This year I am planning on the 2 fairing speakers and amp, but I want to start with a system that I can expand on as I would like to do bag speakers and maybe lower fairing speakers next year. When i told Cam my plan for this year and my plan for expansion he told me the diamond micro 4v2 would run up to 8 hertz speakers.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:30 AM
BMM48
Tourer

Yes it can run 8 speakers for sure but if you're going to get that serious when you do your "round 2" I'd recommend at least one other amp down the track as Im assuming you'd have a set of horn tweeters or larger speakers (like SPL SV 200s in the bags) in that set and that will drain a lot of your power.

Last edited by BMM48; 01-16-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:36 AM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

Yes it can run 8 speakers for sure but if you're going to get that serious when you do your "round 2" I'd recommend at least one other amp down the track as Im assuming you'd have a set of horn tweeters or larger speakers (like SPL SV 200s in the bags) in that set and that will drain a lot of your power.
So with my overall plan, would you still recommend an Arc amp or do you think the Diamond is the right direction? And what about the BT 4180 instead of the diamond or arc? I would really like to not have an amp in a bag (later down the road) if I can help it.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:54 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sub_squoch
I have a 2015 SGS w/ a completely stock 2 speakers audio system. This year my audio upgrades will be new fairing speakers and amp (keeping stock HU for now). I would like to install a system that I could eventually add on to (lowers, bag speakers, etc). I have narrowed my search down a pair of Hertz Mille Pro 165 powered by a Diamond Micro 4v2 or a pair of BT7P14 powered by a BT4180. Of course both set ups would have the BT line leveler. Cam, the guy selling the Hertz/Diamond says I do not need to modify the pods for the speakers to fit, but as I have read on this forum, it seems there are mixed thoughts on that. I should note that I am looking for a system that will sound good through town as well as 90 on the highway. I am also putting in a D&D exhaust this spring. Now I know there are lots of other options but I am looking for input on these two set ups - what would you guys recommend, etc?

Thx from a newbie!!!!
Sounds like BMM48 is giving you some good advice, in the audio forum there are some good guys there also with good advice and running everything your talking about, there are some good topics on everything you mentioned in your thread, just letting you know if you have not checked it out yet.

I am in the same situation as you, I have a set of BT7.1 and a set of the Mille pros, most are saying not to use the pods with the Mille's.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:57 AM
BMM48
Tourer

I've not used the Diamond amp but I've heard good things about it. I just don't want to comment on something I haven't personally tried. The reason I went with Arc is because of its small size, great power and it fits in the front fairing with no issues.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 AM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TcHunter
I am in the same situation as you, I have a set of BT7.1 and a set of the Mille pros, most are saying not to use the pods with the Mille's.
We're you considering anything else before going with the hertz? Wat amp are you using?

Quick Reply: Speakers - Hertz or BT