Sponsored by:

Speakers - Hertz or BT

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:15 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by sub_squoch
THX for your input! Maybe you mentioned this already and I missed it, but what amp(s) are you running? And if you have more than one, were you able to be (2) in the fairing?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:17 AM
sub_squoch
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3

And what are you pushing with the BT4180? Why did you choose BT over other brands? THX!

Old 01-21-2016, 10:27 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

And what are you pushing with the BT4180? Why did you choose BT over other brands? THX!
I have a Limited, so the amp, BT in the front and Alpine in the rear pods.

http://www.biketronics.com/2014-bt7p14-speaker-upgrade/

Amazon.com : Alpine SPR-60 6-1/2" Coaxial 2-Way Type-R Speaker Set : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Alpine SPR-60 6-1/2" Coaxial 2-Way Type-R Speaker Set : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

Edit: BT has life time warranty Custom service cannot be matched. Go over to the audio forum and you will know why.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio-systems-153/

Last edited by hbsoldier3; 01-21-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:29 AM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

Got it thx!!

Old 01-21-2016, 10:30 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

BT has life time warranty Custom service cannot be matched. Go over to the audio forum and you will know why.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:33 AM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

BT has life time warranty Custom service cannot be matched. Go over to the audio forum and you will know why.

Yea I know BT is highly regarded. I was initially considering J&M but after reading reviews, very few of which were good, I quickly decided they were not an option. I then stumbled upon BT thanks to the forums and then after that Hertz. I like the warranty with the BT stuff but I think I am going the Hertz direction. I still have time to decide. I am not pulling the trigger for a month or so yet!! If I do go Hertz/Diamond I will definitely be using the BT line leveler!

Old 01-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THX for your input! Maybe you mentioned this already and I missed it, but what amp(s) are you running? And if you have more than one, were you able to be (2) in the fairing?

Rockford Fosgate T400X4ad amp. It can push 100w at 4 ohm (times 4 channels) for your hertz speakers. I'm using 2 of the 4 channels for my fairing speakers. When I get saddlebag lid speakers, i'll be wiring them into the other 2 channels. That way it keeps the front to back and left to right audio signals correct, and easier to wire up. I'll get a 2nd small 2 channel amp for my lower fairing speaker setup someday. If that amp won't fit inside the batwing fairing, I may tuck it inside the lower fairing somehow. I'll figure it out when I get to that. I need a lot more money first

Old 01-21-2016, 02:23 PM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cummins_Bred
Rockford Fosgate T400X4ad amp. It can push 100w at 4 ohm (times 4 channels) for your hertz speakers. I'm using 2 of the 4 channels for my fairing speakers. When I get saddlebag lid speakers, i'll be wiring them into the other 2 channels. That way it keeps the front to back and left to right audio signals correct, and easier to wire up. I'll get a 2nd small 2 channel amp for my lower fairing speaker setup someday. If that amp won't fit inside the batwing fairing, I may tuck it inside the lower fairing somehow. I'll figure it out when I get to that. I need a lot more money first
Damn bills get in the way!!!

Old 01-21-2016, 06:58 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Here are my experiences with a few different sets of speakers. All have been run off a Cerwin-Vega B2 amp with stock 6.5" head unit.

Infinity Kappa 62.11i ($110). Loved these speakers! Very bright and crystal clear. Decent amount of bass for a 6.5". I would probably still be running these but they got damaged from contact with the inner fairing. Harmon warrantied them and I have a brand new set on the shelf, which i might put back in the bike now that I have the Biketronic brackets.

Hertz HCX 165's ($270) These hit extremely hard! Not as bright with the highs as the Kappas but were also crystal clear. Lots of depth to them. Fit perfect in the stock Rushmore pods. I had to drill (6) 1/2" holes in the pods to let the air out otherwise there was too much pod vibration and you could hear the air rushing out of anywhere it could. Sounded awesome in the garage. The depth was lost however once rolling down the road...that was a disappointment.

Biketronic Titan II's Got a great deal on these back in November when BT was running a sale and I just had to try them. I also wanted to check out their pod elimination brackets. I tried doing an A-B comparison with these and the Hertz. I had one of each connected to the same amp without changing any settings and I liked the sound of the Hertz better. The guys in the audio forum said I really wasn't doing a fair comparison without re-setting gains for each speaker, which makes sense. Bill said the Biketronics will sound better on the road versus the Hertz. The weather turned to crap before I got a chance to test the BT on the road so I can't fairly say how they are. I sold the Hertz so hopefully they work out. I can always put the Kappas in!

I haven't found another set I would like to try but I keep reading the audio forum to see what's next. I just like messing with this stuff...it's a sickness.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:10 PM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HD_Doobie
Here are my experiences with a few different sets of speakers. All have been run off a Cerwin-Vega B2 amp with stock 6.5" head unit.

Infinity Kappa 62.11i ($110). Loved these speakers! Very bright and crystal clear. Decent amount of bass for a 6.5". I would probably still be running these but they got damaged from contact with the inner fairing. Harmon warrantied them and I have a brand new set on the shelf, which i might put back in the bike now that I have the Biketronic brackets.

Hertz HCX 165's ($270) These hit extremely hard! Not as bright with the highs as the Kappas but were also crystal clear. Lots of depth to them. Fit perfect in the stock Rushmore pods. I had to drill (6) 1/2" holes in the pods to let the air out otherwise there was too much pod vibration and you could hear the air rushing out of anywhere it could. Sounded awesome in the garage. The depth was lost however once rolling down the road...that was a disappointment.

Biketronic Titan II's Got a great deal on these back in November when BT was running a sale and I just had to try them. I also wanted to check out their pod elimination brackets. I tried doing an A-B comparison with these and the Hertz. I had one of each connected to the same amp without changing any settings and I liked the sound of the Hertz better. The guys in the audio forum said I really wasn't doing a fair comparison without re-setting gains for each speaker, which makes sense. Bill said the Biketronics will sound better on the road versus the Hertz. The weather turned to crap before I got a chance to test the BT on the road so I can't fairly say how they are. I sold the Hertz so hopefully they work out. I can always put the Kappas in!

I haven't found another set I would like to try but I keep reading the audio forum to see what's next. I just like messing with this stuff...it's a sickness.

Good luck in your decision.
Yea I know it's a sickness! I did my the audio in my mastercraft wake boat last year and I about drove myself nuts! And I'm already doing the same with the bike audio and I haven't even placed an order yet. What you said basically jives with what I have also read. I know sound is also very subjective depending upon the uses end goal. So, you can only get so much from a forum and the opinion of others.

Choice, choices, choices!!!

Quick Reply: Speakers - Hertz or BT