Sponsored by:

Speakers - Hertz or BT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 05:41 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by BMM48
You won't be disappointed with Hertz. I'm that confident of it I will buy that setup from you for another project Im about to start if you don't like it!
That's a bold statement brother, and I'm a guy with Hertz speakers on his bike but folks don't always offer full disclosure or comparison on products. The new hype is the Mille's and I know three guys that already said they don't play loud enough. One of them used the Micro4 and is already hunting down an Arc 600.4 for more juice behind them. Yes, the SPL's play significantly louder but don't offer much low end compared to a good coaxial, and I know guys that have said "bass is a must".

So while I'm not disagreeing with much of what is mentioned here.....often there such a "group think" effect that happens with bike audio. One guys sees a video, they call the one person for their advice and then it just get's recycled over and over by folks that have never tried Hertz speaker, BT speakers, the Arc Amp, the Micro4 amp, the 4180, etc. and offer a comparison between them. If anyone has tried them all please raise your hand? That's me raising my hand.

I will say this OP. What is "best" all depends what your goals and plans are. Then it's what's "best" for you.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:53 PM
sub_squoch
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
That's a bold statement brother, and I'm a guy with Hertz speakers on his bike but folks don't always offer full disclosure or comparison on products. The new hype is the Mille's and I know three guys that already said they don't play loud enough. One of them used the Micro4 and is already hunting down an Arc 600.4 for more juice behind them. Yes, the SPL's play significantly louder but don't offer much low end compared to a good coaxial, and I know guys that have said "bass is a must".

So while I'm not disagreeing with much of what is mentioned here.....often there such a "group think" effect that happens with bike audio. One guys sees a video, they call the one person for their advice and then it just get's recycled over and over by folks that have never tried Hertz speaker, BT speakers, the Arc Amp, the Micro4 amp, the 4180, etc. and offer a comparison between them. If anyone has tried them all please raise your hand? That's me raising my hand.

I will say this OP. What is "best" all depends what your goals and plans are. Then it's what's "best" for you.
So the first post I made when creating this thread gave all the details (bike, goals, etc). As a guy (you) that has tried BT and hertz, and based on what I am doing this year and plan to do, what would you personally recommend? And I guess I'd like to add this: I like the storage that I have in my bags, so it's possible that I may not ever get bag speakers. At this point my plan is definitely to get them, but as we all know plans do change!!

Old 01-17-2016, 06:16 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

The SV165 + ST25 combo screams....but you'll be crossing them fairly high so don't expect a warm bass "hum" more like a tight hit of mid bass and very loud. What really compliments that well is a set of speakers in your bag to give you some low end thump

The Micro4 is plenty to power a set of SPL's and horns. They have extremely high sensitivity rating so they'll get loud fast with not much power. The Mille's on the other hand I'd think you'd be MUCH better served with the Arc 600.4.

Something to consider it's not optimal to run a set of SPL's and Horns on the same channel. The ST25's are 107db while SV165's I think are 99db. That means your horns will louder sooner so you'l have to keep the gains on your amp as loud as your horns will let you. So to do it right you'll want a channel just for your horns. So if you every add speakers down the road you'll need/want a second amp to do it right.

From your original post the BT 4180 is much louder than the Micro4. The Arc 600.4 is louder than both.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:25 PM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

The SV165 + ST25 combo screams....but you'll be crossing them fairly high so don't expect a warm bass "hum" more like a tight hit of mid bass and very loud. What really compliments that well is a set of speakers in your bag to give you some low end thump

The Micro4 is plenty to power a set of SPL's and horns. They have extremely high sensitivity rating so they'll get loud fast with not much power. The Mille's on the other hand I'd think you'd be MUCH better served with the Arc 600.4.

Something to consider it's not optimal to run a set of SPL's and Horns on the same channel. The ST25's are 107db while SV165's I think are 99db. That means your horns will louder sooner so you'l have to keep the gains on your amp as loud as your horns will let you. So to do it right you'll want a channel just for your horns. So if you every add speakers down the road you'll need/want a second amp to do it right.

From your original post the BT 4180 is much louder than the Micro4. The Arc 600.4 is louder than both.
I figured if I wanted any sort of decent low end I wounderstand need bag speakers. Hence the reason that is part of my plan, but would be next year more than likely. So let me ask you this: if I went with the diamond micro 4v2 powering the hertz SPL mids and horns, and later decided I wanted a different amp, could I get the BT or arc to run the hertz components in the fairing and use the diamond to run the bag speakers? Or is that a stupid way to approach it in your opinion?

Old 01-17-2016, 06:32 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

I would get a 2 channel amp. Whatever you run in your bags power them with that amp. If 6X9's for thump then your good, if you add SV200's or Memphis Mojo's for example and you add horns in your bags with them, wire the horns in parallel with your other horns off the Micro4.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:42 PM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

I would get a 2 channel amp. Whatever you run in your bags power them with that amp. If 6X9's for thump then your good, if you add SV200's or Memphis Mojo's for example and you add horns in your bags with them, wire the horns in parallel with your other horns off the Micro4.
So IYO I should get a 2 channel amp for the fairing components and a separate amp for the bag speakers, right? I meant to ask you this before too: do you think the milles are a better bet than the SPLs? I was initially (well, when I initially started talking hertz I should say) going to go with the Milles but then decided the SPLs would "be better." I am a little worried about the fact that the SPLs aren't water resistant but it sounds like plenty of people use them in their bike with no issues - at least that I have heard of. What are your thoughts, and how do you think the BT, which is what I was originally leaning towards, would compare to both those lines of hertz?

And thanks for your insight and time!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 AM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem to be getting good help from everyone else, so i'll keep my post short and sweet. Hertz makes a killer product. I'm running 2 of their 6.5's in my fairing right now, with plans for 2 more in lower fairings, and 2 6x9's in the bag lids at some point. Going to run the fairing and bags on same amp (keep the front to back, left to right sound true) and then a small 2 channel for the lower fairing pair. Heard a friend's bike with 4 Hertz 6x9's and 4 6.5's. It was the most insane bike audio i'd ever heard. Sold me on the brand immediately. Current speakers are HCX 165, amp is Rockford T400X4ad. Amp could probably use tuned by a professional to really get everything out of it, but even as is, it sounds amazing

Old 01-21-2016, 08:24 AM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

Can anyone tell me the difference between the different Hertz speaker models/lines? It is my understanding that the Milles are a high end line for those that want a quality sounding speaker but don't compete and that the SPL is the competition line. Is this correct? And how does the HCX compare to those two lines? In terms of price point/quality does it go Mille, HCX, SPL?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best guess: SPL will be louder, Mille will be clearer, HCX will be cheaper. SPL is most likely a competition series, mille is an audiophile quality sound, and HCX is like the highest of their normal speaker range. I went with the HCX because the price was decent and the Road Glide with 8 speakers my buddy had was running them.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 AM
sub_squoch
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cummins_Bred
Best guess: SPL will be louder, Mille will be clearer, HCX will be cheaper. SPL is most likely a competition series, mille is an audiophile quality sound, and HCX is like the highest of their normal speaker range. I went with the HCX because the price was decent and the Road Glide with 8 speakers my buddy had was running them.
THX for your input! Maybe you mentioned this already and I missed it, but what amp(s) are you running? And if you have more than one, were you able to be (2) in the fairing?

Quick Reply: Speakers - Hertz or BT