Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Brytam
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just put the HD adjustable backrest on my 2003 Road King Classic yesterday. A friend gave me his from a 2010 Electra Glide that he said he would never use. I couldn't figure out where the cable control end bracket attached to the bike! I had found some HD instructions online but they gave no clear cable end attachment location. Found another HD instruction online yesterday & it clearly showed where to attach the control flip switch under the engine heat deflector. Anyway, tried it out after install... & what a difference! Made the ride enjoyable, even in 40 degree weather here yesterday! After changing the handlebars out with HD tallboys a couple weeks ago, the seat was my next focus. The new handlebars & backrest really have made a difference. It's a keeper!

Old 01-12-2016, 07:32 PM
wethead103
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't wait, it will be the best investment you've made for your back. I love mine, I will never remove it. It makes riding much more pleasurable. It will keep you from slouching and giving you more time in the saddle. Good Luck!

Old 01-12-2016, 07:37 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

I tried the adjustable backrest for a year. The adjustable part to me was of no use. All it did was press to far into my lower back. When I installed the CVO hammock heated seat, the adjustable backrest pressed into the leather of the seat and I'm sure in short time it would have worn a hole in the leather. That's why the CVO bikes don't have the adjustable backrest. So I installed the regular backrest and it works great for me.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:01 PM
nirschl
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greg09997
the Mustang is my favorite. I've had both of the HD ones.
Mustang matches the stock seat perfectly, isn't as bulky & is just as comfortable. I think it looks a lot better than the HD one.
Exactly. Do not overlook this backrest.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:41 AM
rog246
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the adjustable,seen that it's taller than the stationary one just wondering if it's going to affect the seat in anyway (i.e.) premature wear etc. they did give a leather strip with the install but instructions were very vague

Old 01-13-2016, 11:13 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Originally Posted by rog246
I did the adjustable,seen that it's taller than the stationary one just wondering if it's going to affect the seat in anyway (i.e.) premature wear etc. they did give a leather strip with the install but instructions were very vague
Harley instructions - "vague"? Nooooo! I'm not a conspiracy theorist; however, I'm convinced Harley instructions are intentionally miserable, compelling anyone but the most experienced to give up doing their own installations and paying dealer prices for most installations.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:19 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Brytam
Just put the HD adjustable backrest on my 2003 Road King Classic yesterday. A friend gave me his from a 2010 Electra Glide that he said he would never use. I couldn't figure out where the cable control end bracket attached to the bike! I had found some HD instructions online but they gave no clear cable end attachment location. Found another HD instruction online yesterday & it clearly showed where to attach the control flip switch under the engine heat deflector. Anyway, tried it out after install... & what a difference! Made the ride enjoyable, even in 40 degree weather here yesterday! After changing the handlebars out with HD tallboys a couple weeks ago, the seat was my next focus. The new handlebars & backrest really have made a difference. It's a keeper!
I really like it when it's cold out. I hate getting cold breezes on my lower back, and with the backrest, it keeps my jacket tight against my back and I stay warmer.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:06 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by Brytam
Nice friend!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:25 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by pkwett94
I put the remote adjustable one on last summer. I will never ride long distance without one ever again. For me being able to adjust on the fly is a must.
+1 I never thought I'd want one, but I had it thrown in on the deal with the new bike, and now it will be a must have for all future bikes.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:03 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

A question for those who have used the remotely adjustable model and the basic model?Which one moves forward the most?I'm short in the wheel base and can't lean back much.

Quick Reply: Rider Backrest