Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 PM
pkwett94
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I put the remote adjustable one on last summer. I will never ride long distance without one ever again. For me being able to adjust on the fly is a must.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Steamfighter
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the adjustable one, love it! More expensive, but is nice to move around every once in a while.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:29 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

In my opinion, having owned both, the pad on the non-adjustable one is much more comfortable. I had to bend the bars on it because it pushed me too far forward, but once I did that I loved it. The adjustable one that I have now? It's ok.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I tried backrests 10 years ago and just didn't like them. Had both the adjustable and fixed, I just couldn't get comfortable.
This year we bought a couple Rushmores and it felt like there's more room for the rider and I bought a couple of the fixed backrests and we are both very happy with them.
Good luck

Old 01-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the least expensive backrest. Had it on all 3 of my Harleys. Wouldn't ride without it.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:13 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,217 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Another vote for the adjustable. As stated, it's nice to be able to adjust "on the fly".

Old 01-11-2016, 08:16 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
I've been using a backrest for lots of years. I simply buy the Harley adjustable - has worked well for me.
Originally Posted by KSGLIDEGUY
+1 on the HD backrest. Theres just nothing aftermarket that can beat it.
Originally Posted by josame
I like the cable adjustable version, I tend to lean back more & more throughout the day. It came on my last bike and was one of the few things I was able to move to my new bike
I'm sure the other version would be fine once you adjust it to your liking.

Your back will like either one!
Originally Posted by wenterkin
+1 for the "on the fly" adjustable system. On long rides I can easily change the position of the backrest without slowing down. I have a bad lower back, and the ability to change rider position throughout the ride is well worth the extra expense.
Originally Posted by pkwett94
I put the remote adjustable one on last summer. I will never ride long distance without one ever again. For me being able to adjust on the fly is a must.
Originally Posted by Steamfighter
I have the adjustable one, love it! More expensive, but is nice to move around every once in a while.
Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Another vote for the adjustable. As stated, it's nice to be able to adjust "on the fly".
Seriously, it's only about $50 more, and the difference in convenience is huge. I'll never ride without one.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
In my opinion, having owned both, the pad on the non-adjustable one is much more comfortable. I had to bend the bars on it because it pushed me too far forward, but once I did that I loved it. The adjustable one that I have now? It's ok.
I have the same problem where the non-adjustable backrest pushes me too far forward. I tried to bend the bars, but they're pretty solid. I'm not a wrencher. How did you bend the bars? Thanks.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:16 PM
nirschl
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a fan of the HD backrest. IMHO, it's big, bulky and not the easiest thing to use. On the other hand, I love the Mustang backrest. Super easy to remove, it's sleek, slim, very well made and looks cleaner. It's also adjustable, not by cable and lever however. YMMV

Cheers

Old 01-11-2016, 10:34 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Beancount1
I have the same problem where the non-adjustable backrest pushes me too far forward. I tried to bend the bars, but they're pretty solid. I'm not a wrencher. How did you bend the bars? Thanks.
I could only bend them using heat. Lots of heat!

I had the same problem with my adjustable one but I was able to bend it by putting it in a vise and jumping up and down on the damn thing.

Quick Reply: Rider Backrest