Sponsored by:

Scavenger Total Oil Change System

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:17 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I don't know that it is a scam... I am just jealous I didn't think of this way to get between a man and his wallet....
Doesn't matter any to me. Once that Nigerian prince, I sent my credit card details to, gets his 108 million dollar inheritance, I'm set for life. He's promised me half.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:45 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Tried the scavenger kit on my 2009. Placed it in a box along with the other stuff I have thrown money at concerning motorcycles. Not to mention the mess you make using it. All it is, is a gimmick.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:23 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Or you could just pull that 3/8" pipe plug (or is it 1/4") in the bottom of the case. They say "Don't Remove" but it does come out and I think it set in red Loctite. After the first time it should be a piece of cake... There is only like 3 oz in there if I recall, any more and the crank would be knee deep in oil.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:07 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I could see it being a good idea used before long term or winter storage but that's it.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:08 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
Or you could just pull that 3/8" pipe plug (or is it 1/4") in the bottom of the case. They say "Don't Remove" but it does come out and I think it set in red Loctite. After the first time it should be a piece of cake... There is only like 3 oz in there if I recall, any more and the crank would be knee deep in oil.
NOT a good idea for those that don't understand tapered pipe plugs, or can't or don't use a torque wrench.

That plug is tapered, and if over-tightened, CAN possibly crack the case. If not tightened enough, it can back out and cause the engine to lose all of it's oil.

Better off leaving it alone, and forgetting about the 2 or 3 oz of oil left.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:22 PM
netwon
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson13
I tried the rogue scavenger and could not get to fit in the oil sump properly on my 15 UC. I hope it works out for you. I have since just quit worrying about it.
I had this same experience on my 15 RGS.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:42 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 336 Likes on 184 Posts

That couple of ounces has never concerned me.
^^^This

The following users liked this post:
NiteOwl (09-30-2021)
Old 01-11-2016, 11:15 PM
harleymojoman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless your OCD, this small amount of leftover oil won't matter at all especially if you do regular oil changes.

The following users liked this post:
NiteOwl (09-30-2021)
Old 01-12-2016, 01:06 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 151 Likes on 131 Posts

NOT a good idea for those that don't understand tapered pipe plugs, or can't or don't use a torque wrench.

That plug is tapered, and if over-tightened, CAN possibly crack the case. If not tightened enough, it can back out and cause the engine to lose all of it's oil.

Better off leaving it alone, and forgetting about the 2 or 3 oz of oil left.

Warm the engine well and then drain the oil, don't be in a rush let all out that can come out. This procedure has worked well for ages.

I did watch the video and i've been changing oil since high school when i had a '52 hudson i think there is a good chance i would make a mess and i don't like the procedure, sucking oil out of a new quart while engine is running and old trapped oil is sill coming out. This is not for me.

And the whole pulling the Tapered plug, the one the manual says don't touch this plug. Now i have no problem removing the sticker/decals on the air filter etc., but this plug i am not messing with. The bike isn't going to explode but over tighten it and a cracked case, for what, not doing that.

I do admit to changing my oil more frequently than specified, i think that is a safer and better preventative than the scavenger system.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:30 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

There have been instances where people have cracked engine cases REMOVING that sump plug and they were turning it in the proper direction.

It's true that the sump plug is removed to install an oil sensor but that's one time, not every oil change. My guess is if you dick with something enough something is bound to go wrong eventually.

Quick Reply: Scavenger Total Oil Change System