Sponsored by:

Oh boy another oil thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 01:34 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
So, you guys that ride during the winter when temperatures get cold enough to require a different viscosity oil than what you use during the warmer/hotter months, do you change the oil, even if it's not time for an oil change?
I do.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

So, you guys that ride during the winter when temperatures get cold enough to require a different viscosity oil than what you use during the warmer/hotter months, do you change the oil, even if it's not time for an oil change?
I don't. I run mobil 1 20-50 Vtwin oil in all three holes all year round. Yes, it gets into the 40's with an occasional dip into the 30's here. Accumulative 100k running that oil with no problems in my HDs.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:56 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I never did.... I lived in Northern Michigan, and would ride as long as the roads were clear, usually into the 20's in the fall, and 30's in the spring.

But the fact remains, the manual calls for 10w40 at cooler temps.

The answer to the OP's question is... wait for it...

Run it, you'll be fine.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:42 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

The fact also remains, HD and the dealers (as do all manufactures and dealers) make BIG bucks on service... that and the fact most folks are very intimidated by these beautiful, shiny, chrome treasures. There is an active thread right now on how to WASH THE FRIGG'N BIKE!! How about a hose and a bucket of soapy water...

The modern owner will faithfully and obediently follow every command laid forth by the mother ship MoCo, all the while lining the pockets of the shareholders.

Nothing wrong with that. That's the way things work in the 21 century...

BUT, in my opinion...with 50 years of being in the mechanical and maintenance industry, working on everything from food processing to mining, railroads and nuke generation...we as owner/operators need to use common sense in regards to the care and feeding of ANYTHING we own.

Read, learn, ask question and form your own intelligent decision...and don't belittle someone else's point of view...

I'll step down now...

Old 01-06-2016, 05:52 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

FWIW, I change the oil myself, and it's a 20-minute job for me. I want the 10 weight for the 15 degree mornings that I find myself riding in.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:03 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Oil is cheap enough to drop it out and a new filter if I was gonna ride below 40 F daily. On a cold morning and warm afternoon I don't bother. I just ride it and enjoy it.

Batman

Old 01-07-2016, 01:56 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
The fact also remains, HD and the dealers (as do all manufactures and dealers) make BIG bucks on service... that and the fact most folks are very intimidated by these beautiful, shiny, chrome treasures. There is an active thread right now on how to WASH THE FRIGG'N BIKE!! How about a hose and a bucket of soapy water...

The modern owner will faithfully and obediently follow every command laid forth by the mother ship MoCo, all the while lining the pockets of the shareholders.

Nothing wrong with that. That's the way things work in the 21 century...

BUT, in my opinion...with 50 years of being in the mechanical and maintenance industry, working on everything from food processing to mining, railroads and nuke generation...we as owner/operators need to use common sense in regards to the care and feeding of ANYTHING we own.

Read, learn, ask question and form your own intelligent decision...and don't belittle someone else's point of view...

I'll step down now...

Sigh this thread turned into sorta a big deal. Basically, I had some oil that I bought for a metric bike, I am looking to see if I can use it and save money from buying a new recommended oil. I have ran this stuff in my last three metric bikes with no issues at all. More or less, I was just trying to see if I could save a few green backs.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:01 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Ha, no worries. It's winter and we have nothing better to do than ride the internet. Frigg'n snowing AGAIN!

Old 01-07-2016, 04:14 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

My dads a trucker. I use his used 10/40 Rotella, never had a problem, ever.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Fat King
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it gets changed at 5k miles. Always 20/50. No matter the temp.

Quick Reply: Oh boy another oil thread