Sponsored by:

Rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016 | 11:23 AM
plongson
Road Master

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
What were the charges?

What did the Judge and Prosecutor have to say?

That dang spell checker will get you every time...

Old 01-04-2016 | 11:39 AM
plongson
Road Master

I'm with Durango Dave. MC shocks are STUPID expensive. Ya, and I don't want to push it like a maniac, I just don't want my spine compressed on a little square edge bump at 40 mph.

I get the hand made in the USA, from the rare element "Buttfookium" from the comet Buttfook...but dang, we're not all rolling in cash after the purchase of these bikes. And even so, the people with REAL money don't usually just **** it away.

I'm on the quest for a good quality shock that is reasonably priced. Until then, I guess I'll stick with my crappy air shocks, just slow down and look out for those bumps in the road...

Old 01-04-2016 | 12:41 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by plongson
I'm with Durango Dave. MC shocks are STUPID expensive. Ya, and I don't want to push it like a maniac, I just don't want my spine compressed on a little square edge bump at 40 mph.

I get the hand made in the USA, from the rare element "Buttfookium" from the comet Buttfook...but dang, we're not all rolling in cash after the purchase of these bikes. And even so, the people with REAL money don't usually just **** it away.

I'm on the quest for a good quality shock that is reasonably priced. Until then, I guess I'll stick with my crappy air shocks, just slow down and look out for those bumps in the road...
Before passing judgement, check out these videos.

http://www.legendsuspensions.com/upl...and-revo-a.mp4

http://www.legendsuspensions.com/upl...ry-reviews.mp4

IMHO, the front suspension upgrade is just if not more important than the back.

http://www.legendsuspensions.com/upl.../axeo-tech.mp4

You can buy the regular Legend REVO FL shocks for $630 at Iron Aces speed shop, they retail for $700.

http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/leg...rley-davidson/

Expensive, yes, but worth it IMHO. Better to spend on quality functional upgrades than cosmetic, at least to me.

In case anyone wonders, I am not associated with Legend in any way, nor do I work for a motorcycle shop. Simply a retired guy that loves this upgrade on his Harley touring rig. I am sure there are other brands that deliver like or even better results, this was just my budget limit. I choose not to chrome my bikes front end as a way to save, this was much more important to me.

Old 01-04-2016 | 02:20 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

Once I aired my stock '14 FLHTCU shocks according to the manual I really enjoy the ride. Even 2 up & loaded.

Of course I did change out the seat but the reduced reach seat doesn't really have a whole lot more cushion than stock. Maybe less.

It's like everything else on your bike you have choices to make if your not satisfied with stock. But I looked at quality after market shocks and they are a frick'in fortune.

My point of reference was my '86 Tour Glide. The seat pad was dead and I put on 1" lower S/G shocks which hit bottom way too much.

Old 01-04-2016 | 07:40 PM
goose222
|
Road Master

I agree, I guess I will leave the stock air shocks on and live with it. I have figured one thing out on this thread, there are a lot of different opinions on this subject which there should be wrightfully so but what one calls good for them might not be the good I am looking for. I don't really care much about the handling. I have a very bad back and all I want is when I hit a bump I don't want my *** pile drived through my shoulders. I want soft without a bottom out. Maybe impossible to get. I don't know

Old 01-04-2016 | 07:51 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by goose222
I have figured one thing out on this thread, there are a lot of different opinions on this subject
I want soft without a bottom out. Maybe impossible to get. I don't know
True. I come from the sport (or sport touring) world and a performance handling suspension is often more firm. scottt had some good links. The front suspension is more important for handling. The rear is more important for a soft ride (you are sitting very close to the rear tire). I hear a lot of people that get aftermarket shocks saying they are not as soft as they expected.
Also if you lower your cycle it will bottom out sooner especially if you want a soft suspension. You want long travel.
That Legend Suspension video link that Scottt posted says their shocks have a softer spring rate. Then getting a firm fork kit would help handling.

Last edited by Durango Dave; 01-04-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2016 | 08:52 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by goose222
I agree, I guess I will leave the stock air shocks on and live with it. I have figured one thing out on this thread, there are a lot of different opinions on this subject which there should be wrightfully so but what one calls good for them might not be the good I am looking for. I don't really care much about the handling. I have a very bad back and all I want is when I hit a bump I don't want my *** pile drived through my shoulders. I want soft without a bottom out. Maybe impossible to get. I don't know
Wish you lived near me, I would let you try my bike and the Legend setup for yourself. It is firmer than stock but much smoother. It absorbs more of the roads imperfections. Your not moving up and down nearly as much your suspension is absorbing. I have no question your back will like the change.

Again, my opinion based on my experience.