2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016 | 05:10 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member

I like the low profile premiums, took a little to find the setting for 2 up riding, after I found the sweet spot I have no complaints so far after 12k miles

Old 01-02-2016 | 05:48 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
There are those, like me, that are perfectly happy with the Premium shocks...

Then there are those that say they are junk, and go to Ohlins.

IMHO, if you don't want to go with HD products, call Howard and get a set of Ohlins.

No worries... I hope I answered what you were asking. Sometimes you have to wade through some of my sarcasm...

So far i have no problems with the stock air shocks,no bottoming out or harsh ride but would like to know what i am missing lol. Everyone says the stock shocks suck and aftermarkets shocks are like night a day better

Old 01-02-2016 | 08:03 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
So far i have no problems with the stock air shocks,no bottoming out or harsh ride but would like to know what i am missing lol. Everyone says the stock shocks suck and aftermarkets shocks are like night a day better
jd05flhtci; I felt like you until I loaded up my bike, two up, and headed to Canada. Experienced many road and parking conditions. On steep declines the front end dropped to easy, the rough roads resulted in a sore back. Could go on and on. If I was twenty years younger I might not have cared.

Installed Legend AXEO front end kit and Revo rear shocks. What a difference. The bike now covers rough roads reasonably smooth. Stays pretty flat under hard breaking. It's really a different motorcycle. Highly recommend. I'm sure the other premium suspension brands also deliver like results. This is a upgrade you will love, especially if you tour.

Old 01-02-2016 | 08:14 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by scottt
jd05flhtci; I felt like you until I loaded up my bike, two up, and headed to Canada. Experienced many road and parking conditions. On steep declines the front end dropped to easy, the rough roads resulted in a sore back. Could go on and on. If I was twenty years younger I might not have cared.

Installed Legend AXEO front end kit and Revo rear shocks. What a difference. The bike now covers rough roads reasonably smooth. Stays pretty flat under hard breaking. It's really a different motorcycle. Highly recommend. I'm sure the other premium suspension brands also deliver like results. This is a upgrade you will love, especially if you tour.
I will have to do some research. We tour and not getting any younger either.Thank you for your input

Old 01-02-2016 | 08:23 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

Anyone who experiences a sore back riding should strongly consider a Hammock seat. Takes those jarring bangers out of the ride.

Much more relaxing to ride when you no longer need to watch with an eagle eye for upcoming pot holes.

Old 01-02-2016 | 09:01 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Anyone who experiences a sore back riding should strongly consider a Hammock seat. Takes those jarring bangers out of the ride.

Much more relaxing to ride when you no longer need to watch with an eagle eye for upcoming pot holes.

I have the Hammock seat and agree that it is great. The front end was still too mushy, figured I would upgrade my rear shocks while upgrading the front. Glad I did. Much smoother. Even with the Hammock.

Old 01-02-2016 | 09:57 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

I was on my way at Rapid City Harley to buy shocks from Ohlin and have them mounted when I ran into a buddy installing Terry Cable shocks. I liked his pitch and bought them on the spot. By far the best shock I have ever owned. Ran about 700 installed and he adjusted them for me. The Harley air shocks that came stock are junk. Well let me expand, all Harley shocks are junk. I have had my share of Harleys in the last 45 years and I have yet to own one where I did not replace the rear shocks (well, maybe not the 47 Knuck Hardtail, LOL. I have Progressive 412s on my WG and they are pretty good also. I still need to do something with the front suspension on my RG. The Riccor Intiminateors worked great on my WG so I am leaning that way.

Old 01-03-2016 | 09:55 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
I was on my way at Rapid City Harley to buy shocks from Ohlin and have them mounted when I ran into a buddy installing Terry Cable shocks. I liked his pitch and bought them on the spot. By far the best shock I have ever owned. Ran about 700 installed and he adjusted them for me. The Harley air shocks that came stock are junk. Well let me expand, all Harley shocks are junk. I have had my share of Harleys in the last 45 years and I have yet to own one where I did not replace the rear shocks (well, maybe not the 47 Knuck Hardtail, LOL. I have Progressive 412s on my WG and they are pretty good also. I still need to do something with the front suspension on my RG. The Riccor Intiminateors worked great on my WG so I am leaning that way.
Have you tired the Premium Ride Hand-Adjustable Rear Shocks-54000008? Or are you just so fed up with the other HD products you do not want to try them?
Thanx,
Paul

Old 01-03-2016 | 10:11 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Have you tired the Premium Ride Hand-Adjustable Rear Shocks?
That was my exact thought.

I'm one of those guys that loves Harleys, not so much a fan of the MOCO, and will only buy certain things that ARE HD branded, and will never buy other items that are HD branded...

In my humble little useless opinion, there are things that HD makes well, such as chrome add-ons, you will NEVER see KuryaKrappin' stuff on my bike (ISO grips being the exception to prove the rule), it looks out of place, while most HD stuff has a quality fit and finish, and actually looks like it's meant to be there...

Windshields, HD's line-up looks like an afterthought, LRS, Cee Bailey's and Freedom look nicer, and look of higher quality.

Fluids... I wouldn't run HD or SE fluids in my lawnmower, with the exception of F+. and then only if I couldn't find a suitable replacement.

Tuners... I wouldn't run a SE if you bought it for me.

I do like the Premium Hand Adjustable shocks... I had the 12" on first, then swapped for the 13". I couldn't be happier with the 13" HD Premium shocks.

Don't try to figure me out....

Old 01-03-2016 | 10:58 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Have you tired the Premium Ride Hand-Adjustable Rear Shocks-54000008? Or are you just so fed up with the other HD products you do not want to try them?
Thanx,
Paul
I rode a 2014 Ultra Limited from Modesto Ca. to Sturgis and back with HD Premium shocks. If I compare them to the Progressive shocks on my WG they would not hold up. Comparing them to the Terry Cable shock would be a joke. Not even in the same league. I love Harley, but some of their parts are way below standard and always have been. In my opinion Harley shocks and fork dampeners are in that category. I am glad you are happy with them and don't mean to offend.

Quick Reply: Rear shocks