Sponsored by:

Dyno vs. Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:36 AM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Dyno vs. Tuner

Finally getting the Stage 1 air box but just can't swing the tuner just yet. Can I just get a dyno done on the bike and forgo a tuner or will I need both? Or just go with a tuner and no Dino? New Fullsac header is on and new RCs ready to go on.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

The V&H Fuelpak FP3 tuner can be had for under $300 if you shop around for it. Not much different than a pro dyno tune. Cheaper than some....

Old 12-22-2015, 08:35 AM
UnaHarlista
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JHC210
Finally getting the Stage 1 air box but just can't swing the tuner just yet. Can I just get a dyno done on the bike and forgo a tuner or will I need both? Or just go with a tuner and no Dino? New Fullsac header is on and new RCs ready to go on.
FYI ... I have an extra Power Vision, PV-2, chrome version, I would sell, if your interested.
It is brand new, never installed, never married to a bike, still in the box ... fresh from Dynojet Research.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:05 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

You cannot do a dyno without a tuner.... the dyno is used to program the tuner.

You can use a tuner without a dyno.

If I've posted it once, I bet I've posted it 43 times...

The FIRST thing a man should do when considering making changes is GET A TUNER. It will help a stock bike, and when you change pipes and or air cleaner, you're ready for it.

Can you run without a tuner? Yes.

Will you blow your engine up running without a tuner? Probably not.

Can you expect to get 50,000 miles out of your engine without a tuner? Most likely.

Will it run correctly without a tuner? No.

Dealers and their parts and service departments are a business, in business to sell motorcycles, and motorcycle parts and accessories. They tell you that you can get away without a tuner, because a LOT of guys won't come off the jack for a tuner, and they're afraid they'll lose sales if they tell you to get a tuner.

Changing the air flow without changing the VE tables is not beneficial. These bikes run lean from the factory, adding a more free flowing exhaust makes them run more lean.

Do what you want, I won't criticize, just trying to offer things to think about.

...but there is a reason I won't buy a used bike as my primary ride...

Originally Posted by UnaHarlista
FYI ... I have an extra Power Vision, PV-2, chrome version, I would sell, if your interested.
It is brand new, never installed, never married to a bike, still in the box ... fresh from Dynojet Research.
This would be a good way to go, depending the cost.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:11 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Yes u can dyno without a owning a tuner

Sorry Safety Man you are wrong, a guy can buy a license for a PV and have his bike tuned. It is about half the price of the physical tuner($199) interface but the bike is married to the tuner at the dyno.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:16 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

A. Show me where I'm wrong, I assure you I am not.

B. When you plug the tuner into the bike and turn it on, it is married.

I never said you can't buy a license for a PV....

Old 12-22-2015, 12:27 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
You cannot do a dyno without a tuner.... the dyno is used to program the tuner.

You can use a tuner without a dyno.

If I've posted it once, I bet I've posted it 43 times...
I imagine a heck of a lot more than 43 times.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Sorry Safety Man you are wrong, a guy can buy a license for a PV and have his bike tuned. It is about half the price of the physical tuner($199) interface but the bike is married to the tuner at the dyno.
Originally Posted by SafetyMan
A. Show me where I'm wrong, I assure you I am not.

B. When you plug the tuner into the bike and turn it on, it is married.

I never said you can't buy a license for a PV....
This was brought up in another thread just a couple days ago and I didn't understand the process so I called DynoJet and spoke to Todd. You can go to a shop that uses DynoJet PV or call DynoJet and purchase an electronic license. The license can be downloaded to a thumb drive. You take this thumb drive License to any shop that tunes with PV and they can use that license to access and flash a new map to your ECM. If you do some engine work and want to run another Dyno just take the thumb drive to any shop that uses PV and have it done. So if you don't want to Auto-tune and want to save a few $$$ this is an option.

I have 2 PV-2's on our bikes, (2014 and 2015 FLHTK's), after Auto-tuning a few times on each bike I don't feel a Dyno tune would be worth the money, they both run great.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that even after dyno tuning I've had to go back in and "touch up" the tune. I have spent hundreds (probably in the thousands) on the dyno over the years and I recommend you save your money and just buy a good auto tuner. They aren't perfect but just as good as any dyno (with money in your pocket to spare)

Old 12-22-2015, 02:46 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,359 Likes on 5,499 Posts

Save your cash the dyno is not worth it for such minor work. Call fuel moto . They have some simple low cost tuners that will work just fine for you.
It is just cool to say I had it Dynoed man.

Quick Reply: Dyno vs. Tuner