Sponsored by:

which seat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:39 PM
orange52
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
Default which seat?

Searches didn't come up with a lot of useful information.

The stock Street Glide seat makes me feel like I'm setting on a mechanical bull. I'm hoping to find a seat that puts me back and little and lower. I'm 6' tall and feel kind of cramped with the stock seat.

Anyone have suggestions on seats they liked?

Old 12-20-2015, 09:51 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Here's the issue with Harley seats: too many riders want to be able to get both feet flat on the ground.

So, there are only two ways to do that: reduce the ground clearance and the shock travel, even though Harleys have **** suspension already, or chop out part of the seat.

One of the ways to deal with the seat is to reduce the width at the front, thus allowing the rider's thighs to get closer together, and more vertical, and making it a little easier to flat foot.

Unfortunately, that part of the seat that gets removed in order to get the rider's thighs closer together results in less support from the front of the seat, particularly under the front of the thighs. So, you start to slide forward, which puts your lower back in a poor anatomical position.

It is by no means a stretch to say that stock Harley touring seats are designed for riders shorter than 5'8". When you're 6', you're going to be uncomfortable.

You have two options, a Tallboy seat, which moves you back and up, or a seat with more support, so you don't slide forward and get cramped. Of all the seats I've demoed, I liked the Hammock the best. It has excellent support under the front of the thighs. At 5'9" I could easily get both feet flat on the ground with the stock seat, but with my Hammock I'm on the ***** of my feet. For me, since I never put both feet down, that's no issue at all. As I'm coming to a stop my right foot is on the rear brake, and as I stop the left foot goes down. No problem at all.

I've tried an Ultra seat and a Sundowner, and didn't like either as much as the Hammock.

Most larger dealers have seats to demo. Try a Tallboy and a Hammock.

[Edit: There are, of course, many aftermarket seats. Too many to try them all. I had a Mustang on my Dyna, and loved it, but haven't tried one on the Road Glide.]

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 12-20-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:04 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Here's the issue with Harley seats: too many riders want to be able to get both feet flat on the ground.

So, there are only two ways to do that: reduce the ground clearance and the shock travel, even though Harleys have **** suspension already, or chop out part of the seat.

One of the ways to deal with the seat is to reduce the width at the front, thus allowing the rider's thighs to get closer together, and more vertical, and making it a little easier to flat foot.

Unfortunately, that part of the seat that gets removed in order to get the rider's thighs closer together results in less support from the front of the seat, particularly under the front of the thighs. So, you start to slide forward, which puts your lower back in a poor anatomical position.

It is by no means a stretch to say that stock Harley touring seats are designed for riders shorter than 5'8". When you're 6', you're going to be uncomfortable.

You have two options, a Tallboy seat, which moves you back and up, or a seat with more support, so you don't slide forward and get cramped. Of all the seats I've demoed, I liked the Hammock the best. It has excellent support under the front of the thighs. At 5'9" I could easily get both feet flat on the ground with the stock seat, but with my Hammock I'm on the ***** of my feet. For me, since I never put both feet down, that's no issue at all. As I'm coming to a stop my right foot is on the rear brake, and as I stop the left foot goes down. No problem at all.

I've tried an Ultra seat and a Sundowner, and didn't like either as much as the Hammock.

Most larger dealers have seats to demo. Try a Tallboy and a Hammock.

[Edit: There are, of course, many aftermarket seats. Too many to try them all. I had a Mustang on my Dyna, and loved it, but haven't tried one on the Road Glide.]
Being on the ***** of your feet don't that make it harder to back up? the op is 6' dont see a problem with being flat footed. The tall boy seat moves you back and up slightly

Old 12-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 180 Posts

I customize my seats with a steak knife and 30#sandpaper. 0 $ spent and it has worked great for myself and other friends. I put 90k on my WG and have 15K on my RG.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:24 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Being on the ***** of your feet don't that make it harder to back up? the op is 6' dont see a problem with being flat footed. The tall boy seat moves you back and up slightly
Nope, I can back up fine.

The OP doesn't have a problem with being flat footed at all, he just feels a little cramped.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:39 AM
orange52
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Two Lane Tramp, thats a great idea. Any chance you've done a "How To" on your seat mods?
I did a google search on modifying the stock seat but didn't find much.
The positive of this is if it works I gain some knowledge and save some money. If I botch it I'm just back to buying a seat

Old 12-21-2015, 09:57 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 346 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by orange52
Two Lane Tramp, thats a great idea. Any chance you've done a "How To" on your seat mods?
I did a google search on modifying the stock seat but didn't find much.
The positive of this is if it works I gain some knowledge and save some money. If I botch it I'm just back to buying a seat
That was my feeling exactly!! This is a trick I learned from the dirt bike crowd years ago and it has worked well for me. I simply pull the staples out of the plastic pan and lift off the seat cover. I take a sharpie and sketch out the desired shape on the side of the foam. I then take an electric (sharp) steak knife and trim foam to desired depth. Then I take course sandpaper (a hand grinder works well) and smooth out edges. I sit on the seat many times till I am comfortable. When finished I pull back the seat cover and re staple. I go with the Corbin theory that a hard seat it more comfortable for long haul.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:40 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,128 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Call Mean City Cycles and talk to them.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:46 AM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mustang. You won't spend your money on a better upgrade. I'm 6,3 and it is superb. Can ride from full tank to empty, non stop, and get off fresh as a daisy.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:48 AM
WG2011
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't relate to being tall as I am a short guy but I have the le para villain and love it. Comfortable seat and much more narrow in the front. They make a daddy long legs version that might be the ticket for you. And no I have absolutely no affiliation with Le Para just love my seat and anyone who sits on it ends up getting one. They look great and feel great tough combo sometimes to get.

http://www.lepera.com/v4_Touring_Mod....php?SEATID=60

Quick Reply: which seat?