head pipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015 | 11:04 AM
jinxwolf73
|
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default head pipes

About to start doing my stage 1 (going to be my first time trying to do it myself so see how this goes). I am looking at the Rush high output true duals vs maybe V&H. I am currently running the big Louie slips ons.

Has anyone tried both of those head pipes with big louie's by chance and if you have, which did you prefer and why? I am looking for a nice deep sound across the whole curve of acceleration and cruising speed. Budget is a minimal issue for the most part. i could wait til bike week comes to daytona but that is 4 months away and I am impatient with the stock set up.

A/C wise i am going to just stick with the AN Big Sucker with stock cover and probably FP3.

Thanks for any input. I know exhaust is one of those highly subjective areas of discussion so just curious on this particular set up.

Old 12-13-2015 | 11:18 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Lots of videos and posts about different exhausts. As you said it's the ear of the beholder that counts. But know that true duals lose low end power or out of the whole power. Stock bike would hurt it with true duals on it. IMHO

Batman

Old 12-13-2015 | 11:37 AM
jinxwolf73
|
Cruiser

so a 2-1-2 be a better set up for more power and good sound? Do they generally run a little more difficult to install than the true duals?

Thanks for the info as well. apologies up front as I am still fairly novice when it comes to most of this stuff.

Old 12-13-2015 | 12:20 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jinxwolf73
so a 2-1-2 be a better set up for more power and good sound? Do they generally run a little more difficult to install than the true duals?

Thanks for the info as well. apologies up front as I am still fairly novice when it comes to most of this stuff.
Install is install, I don't think there is that big of a difference if any, the only time you will have more of a problem is when dealing with the heat shields, example the V&H Power Duals heat shields were more difficult installing than my Cobras Power Port heat shields, as far as getting them to line up.

As far as doing it yourself, make sure your have a manual for your bike and the proper toque wrenches. Read all the instructions prior to tear down, and make sure you understand them. It really is easy to do, if you have any confidence in your self turning a wrench you will have no problems.

One more thing go with what you want, will you loose a little bit of low end with true-duals yes, will it be enough to complain about NO, not unless your looking to race or wanting every bit HP/TQ your bike can offer.

True- duals will also give your mufflers a different sound, more times then not, a more lower/deeper tone.

Last edited by TcHunter; 12-13-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2015 | 01:21 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,578 Likes on 1,970 Posts

I had several bikes with V&H Dresser Duals and liked them a lot. I now have a 14 and the wife has a 15 limited with Power Duals, Monster Oval for me Rounds for her, Arlen Ness Big Sucker AC and Dynojet Power Vision tuners. There is nothing I would change, the bikes run great and the PV is super easy to use. I've used Thundermax and TTS master tune before but from my experience PV is the best.
There were some Dyno charts posted a while back that showed a minimal loss of HP with True Dual compared to 2:1 or 2:1:2 for stage 1. If you plan on doing engine work, stage 3 or 4, the loss is more evident. So if you plan to go further you might want to consider a different header.
What year is your bike?
Good Luck

Old 12-13-2015 | 01:40 PM
jinxwolf73
|
Cruiser

My bike is a 2015 model.

Old 12-13-2015 | 04:45 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Rush offeres a high output header with an H pipe joining the two headers to offset the low end loss. They look like true duals. Call them and talk to them. Customer service and quality have never been in question with them. With your big louies you would have a matched system.

Old 12-14-2015 | 01:21 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

There are a number of manufactures that make header pipes with a power chamber connecting
the two pipes together to help keep low end torque.

Here are a few---(Cobra USA has Power Port Duals) (S&S Performance has Power Tune Duals)
and what I have are (Rinehart Slimeline Duals) I am sure there are more out there also.

Old 12-14-2015 | 04:03 PM
Buzzmeister21
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with your "upgrading". It's fun! Hey, what I did was, I took off my stock header pipe (14 FLHTK), and swapped it out at the local dealership that had "a guy" that would cut open the stock pipes and remove the catalyst and then weld it back together in a jig so it would fit right back where it came off with all original heat shields and mounting hardware. I since have noticed that there is a guy that will sell them for $120 on ebay. I think there are more than just him that does it. I can't vouch for his quality, but the pics look good. I'm very happy with mine. Here's the link to one on EBAY: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...BV113p&vxp=mtr

Old 12-14-2015 | 08:24 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 79 Posts

I first had the decatted stock head pipe then I when to power duels with Rush big louies which I liked a lot. On my new 16 I went with the cobra power port headers and cobra race pro slip ons. I let you know next spring how I like the Cobra set up. One thing I fo know is they sound bad ***.

Quick Reply: head pipes