Harley-Davidson haters

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Harley-Davidson haters

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/mic...hav-1745748906

So this article (look it up on Lane splitter if your nervous about clicking on links) really goes in on the motor company. Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-04-2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

It's no secret that HDs are not high performance machines.

But if I had to choose a brand to ride ALL DAY, day after day... it would be a Harley, based on seating position and comfort alone.

And as to a car breaking 100... very few "modern" and "normal" vehicles do, unless you get a tuner and turn off the limiters.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:57 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Having traded my '10 BMW R1200RT for a '14 Harley Ultra, I can say I wholly agree with the author. This is the classic "comparing apples to oranges", or more accurately, comparing a "Sport Tourer" to a cruiser. Indeed, while I loved my RT, as I quickly approached the big "6-0", I commented more and more that the RT was more "Sport" then it was "Tourer". In the speed ranges I now operate, I've given up nothing changing to the Ultra. In the twisties, I have certainly backed it down a touch (out of necessity) with the Ultra and continue to scrape my floorboards; but I'm getting better. For me and my purposes, the Ultra beats the RT.

For a cop (who on average I would expect to be in the 21 to 41 age range), I would think the RT overwhelmingly would beat out any of the Harleys. Even recognizing the cop may, on average, be in the saddle through an 8-hour tour, let's be real - he/she will NOT be riding for a solid 8 hours. They are on and off the bike multiple times [at the very least 2 or 3 times to get donuts ]. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

OK, so according to that logic, our Police departments, shouldn't have Fords, or Chevy's. They should have Maserati's. After all they perform much better.

You have to include maintenance costs, ceremonial aspects, rider comfort in the equation.

Actually, The Victory Police bikes look pretty nice. I wonder how they are working in the real world.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:07 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Having traded my '10 BMW R1200RT for a '14 Harley Ultra, I can say I wholly agree with the author. This is the classic "comparing apples to oranges", or more accurately, comparing a "Sport Tourer" to a cruiser. Indeed, while I loved my RT, as I quickly approached the big "6-0", I commented more and more that the RT was more "Sport" then it was "Tourer". In the speed ranges I now operate, I've given up nothing changing to the Ultra. In the twisties, I have certainly backed it down a touch (out of necessity) with the Ultra and continue to scrape my floorboards; but I'm getting better. For me and my purposes, the Ultra beats the RT.

For a cop (who on average I would expect to be in the 21 to 41 age range), I would think the RT overwhelmingly would beat out any of the Harleys. Even recognizing the cop may, on average, be in the saddle through an 8-hour tour, let's be real - he/she will NOT be riding for a solid 8 hours. They are on and off the bike multiple times [at the very least 2 or 3 times to get donuts ]. Just my opinion, YMMV.
California CHP has RT 12's, which are easy to tell when they are coming up on you from behind. However, they have switched back to HD with their new bikes, which makes it look, obviously, like a Harley rolling up ya; can see more citations coming than before the switch.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Dozer40
Road Warrior
Received 328 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
California CHP has RT 12's, which are easy to tell when they are coming up on you from behind. However, they have switched back to HD with their new bikes, which makes it look, obviously, like a Harley rolling up ya; can see more citations coming than before the switch.
The Chippys I've spoke to were glad to have them back too.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:18 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Dozer40
The Chippys I've spoke to were glad to have them back too.
Ya, me too

Old 12-03-2015, 04:16 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
OK, so according to that logic, our Police departments, shouldn't have Fords, or Chevy's. They should have Maserati's. After all they perform much better.

You have to include maintenance costs, ceremonial aspects, rider comfort in the equation.

Actually, The Victory Police bikes look pretty nice. I wonder how they are working in the real world.
If I'm not mistaken, the jist of the question was suitability for police work, i.e., performance and handling. Certainly other factors need to be evaluated by a municipality before committing tax dollars to a purchase.

Oh, and in my original reply I intended to mention but forgot the most basic economic reason to stick with Harley (even if "inferior" performance-wise) is keeping U.S. dollars in the U.S.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 338 Likes on 174 Posts

I ride with a group of motor cops. They have been on City BMWs for about 10 years at work. They hate them for the dry clutch and say they are not suited for City work. By the way, they "all" ride Harleys for personal use.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:48 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
It's no secret that HDs are not high performance machines.

But if I had to choose a brand to ride ALL DAY, day after day... it would be a Harley, based on seating position and comfort alone.

And as to a car breaking 100... very few "modern" and "normal" vehicles do, unless you get a tuner and turn off the limiters.
I guess you are correct, my CC Dually only goes 97 in a few seconds while passing. Sunfire GT, 107, etc. ect.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson haters