2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how adjustable is the adjustable highway peg mounting kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 09:07 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Just how adjustable is the adjustable highway peg mounting kit ?

I've never been quite satisfied with the position I chose for my Adjustable Highway Peg Mounting kit (50830-07A) on my 2015 Limited. The riding season is over for me, bike covered and tucked away for the winter, but I'm trying to envision some options to try next spring.

I mounted my mounting kit clamp somewhat low on the crash bar, with the adjustable arm pretty much parallel to the ground - very similar to the picture in the P&A catalog.

What I'd like to achieve is:

- foot peg positioned higher off the ground
- foot peg closer to the crash bar

I'd prefer to NOT shift the mounting clamp up or down, fearing it may have left a gouge in the crash bar.

Maybe I'm "geometrically challenged", but it seems like if I rotate the arm 'up', the peg would not hold its position/fold up. I'm also trying to envision my options with the clamp 'reversed', but I'm just 'not seeing it'.

If anyone has accomplished what I'm hoping to achieve with this mounting kit, could you post a picture ? Thanks.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:24 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

There are literally thousands of different ways to mount them.
There is no right or wrong way, and it comes down to personal preference.

Sometimes the more adjustable mounting brackets give you so many options, you just cant choose one.

Here are how I have mine mounted, using the HD Short Angled mounts.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:05 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
There are literally thousands of different ways to mount them.

Here are how I have mine mounted, using the HD Short Angled mounts.

RollaMo,

That is the exact mounting kit that I have, and yours is mounted on the crash bar at about the same height as mine. Looks like your arms are mounted slightly downward, compared to mine being almost parallel to the ground.

So imagine rotating your arms upward ..... seems like at some point, past 45 degrees, either the peg collapses forward or the peg needs to be 'reversed' so the 'stopper' at the bottom of the peg prevents it from collapsing forward. (not easy to explain)

I would love to see pictures from folks, using this mount, but in what I'll call, a 'less traditional' way, of either the arm pointing toward REAR of bike, but angled up or the arm pointing toward FRONT of bike, but angled up.

Last edited by dh_meyer; 11-27-2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: clean up crude attempt at adding 'graphics'
Old 11-27-2015, 02:12 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Check your pegs, make sure they are on the correct side. The arm on the pegs that slide into the pivoting mounting bracket should be tapered/oblong so when you adjust the set screws for the peg angle it prevents the peg from folding forward, as you know the pegs should only fold upwards.

Have you checked to make sure the set screws are set properly?

Old 11-27-2015, 08:23 PM
Dave Thorpe
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same set-up, and contrary to what has been stated, I found very few positions to adjust them to. Swinging them outward creates an angle where the foot slips off. In too far and you hit the fairing lowers. Rotating it up or down along the grooved bolt changes the hinge angle in odd ways. Slide it down the crash bar and you are into the curve where clamping could dig into the bar. In effect there was exactly one position that worked, and it works well. That said, if you are geometrically challenged, I would go to the long arm adjustables.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:51 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
RollaMo,

So imagine rotating your arms upward ..... seems like at some point, past 45 degrees, either the peg collapses forward or the peg needs to be 'reversed' so the 'stopper' at the bottom of the peg prevents it from collapsing forward. (not easy to explain).......

I have the same as the above pic and approx same positioning, perhaps rotated inward just a tad more, but I'm not running lowers to clear.

From what you are suggestion, I don't see that working. As you stated, the pegs will want to fold forward. Id think that the adj arm needs to be somewhat parallel with the ground within a few clicks to avoid that condition. Only fix I see is instead of trying to rotate the arm upwards 45*, Your going to have to move the clamp upwards to keep the arm level, to a degree. But as you stated, might have marred up the bar from initial install. One way to find out. Now having the arms pointing downward would be less of an issue since you still be pushing the pegs forward, but that still requires the mount to be moved upwards

Last edited by CVO SG; 11-27-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Dave Thorpe
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I moved mine up and down the bar, and to my surprise there were no marks.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:38 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Thorpe
I have tehe same set-up, and contrary to what has been stated, I found very few positions to adjust them to. Swinging them outward creates an angle where the foot slips off. In too far and you hit the fairing lowers. Rotating it up or down along the grooved bolt changes the hinge angle in odd ways. Slide it down the crash bar and you are into the curve where clamping could dig into the bar. In effect there was exactly one position that worked, and it works well. That said, if you are geometrically challenged, I would go to the long arm adjustables.

Wow, Dave, just wow. To say there is only one way to position those brackets and pegs is by far the most startlingly inane comment I have ever read during my many years on this forum.
I hope you were joking. If so, you got me.