Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you hate your Rushmore?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:50 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Traded in my 09 CVO Ultra -- the 14 Ultra Limited is a better bike in my opinion.

Now comparing the 14 Ultra to my 2000 Standard -- the 14 is a better bike -- but my 2000 is still my baby (she has saved my butt) but the 14 (fit just like a glove on the first ride -- just like the 2000 did) and has convinced me I will sell the 2000 with over 120,000 miles on it when I retire and just ride the 14.

Last edited by OwnerOfHarriet; 12-01-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:14 AM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I went looking for a used 11, 12, or 13 in the fall of 14 and they got me on my new 14 SG. I made the right choice. If you are looking for a newer bike, I think the upgrades are worth seriously looking for a Rushmore instead of an 09-13 SG. I like every upgrade. I noticed that when I changed out my windshield, the vent in the fairing became negligible. I guess the windshield upgrade fixed my buffeting issue so the vent isn't all that helpful now. Love all of the new upgrades, especially the saddle bags. I don't think the radio is that big of a deal because there are so many upgrades you can do with aftermarket. I use the crap out of the new USB port for my music. But you can also add the iPod interface to an older bike and use an iPod or older iPhone 4 for your music. The Nav is nice on the 6.5 Boom but I have that GPS thingy on my iPhone and I can Bluetooth the voice directions right through the radio as with most aftermarket head units today you can put on our bikes. Love the 19" front wheel although, it probably rides a little rougher than the fatter 18" on the later bikes. Don't know the diff with the front forks. The cam upgrade in the 103 is good and solid. I don't think the rear premium shocks on the SGS are that big of a deal because we can get a better aftermarket shock upgrade anyway. All HD shocks are not that big of a deal from what I'm reading. I think if I already had a 09-13 SG, I might weight out how much it would cost to upgrade the front wheel and saddlebags and go that route vs.buying a new bike and going through the exhaust upgrades and tuning it again.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

I am unhappy with how many warranty issues and recalls my 14SG has had, but love riding it and working on it.

Go take one for a test ride. have them give you an extended test ride for a day and see what you think. or rent one for a weekend.

I rode a 15RG and didn't care for the shark nose at all. I missed my bat wing. also, the radio is at a horrible angle and the sun glints off of it in a few cases. annoying, but not a deal breaker in my eyes.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:20 PM
bobilly
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steamfighter
As most have said, the improvements made on the Rushmores are outstanding. I can attest to the improved braking with the linked antilock system. Hands down the best improvement yet. Bike stops flat, straight ,and fast. Could not believe how well it handled in a emergency stop scenario. The infotainment system is very modern and a nice touch over the old head units and much easier to use. Everything else is on par, seen many an old 96" that with mild mods would carry the mail without question so I think the 103" power plant is good and getting better. Overall I would do it again without question.
First of all i salute you Brother i am a steamfitter myself and a proud member of Local 144 Montreal Canada for the past 40 years.
I ride a 15 SGS it's my third Harley and i am very satisfied...only one negative thought...I wont ride for the next 5 months...I hate winter.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Steamfighter
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobilly
First of all i salute you Brother i am a steamfitter myself and a proud member of Local 144 Montreal Canada for the past 40 years.
I ride a 15 SGS it's my third Harley and i am very satisfied...only one negative thought...I wont ride for the next 5 months...I hate winter.
Good on you brother and a salute to you. Not too bad down here in Maryland yet, I keep her by the door for an occasional 55-60 degree day. Take care and be safe.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:51 PM
brokefootkenny
Road Captain
Received 166 Likes on 68 Posts

i absolutely love my rushmore. 2014 ultra classic. rides and handles superb. big difference from my goldwing, big step up in my opinion. not perfect, but its my first harley and its MINE!

Old 12-06-2015, 09:03 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

Other than in '08, I always had a Heritage Classic. Started on an '02.
I traded an '06 Heritage for an '08 Road King. My wife hated this bike!
So I went back to a Heritage. Since she pays for them, keep her happy!
Had an '09 Heritage, then a '12 before trading for a '13 Road King.
We both really liked this bike.
In '14, I stopped by the dealer to look at bikes while waiting to pick up
the grandson. Found a Big Blue Pearl Street Glide, the same color as the
'12 Heritage. We had just came back from the coast where I rented a '13
Street Glide. I really liked the SG, the way it handled and rode. A month or so later, I traded the RK for the SG.
Really happy with the SG until I put Elite 3's on it. All I can say is "WOW"!!,
what an outstanding set of tires!!!!!!!!!!!
Still loving the Rushmore's.
Traded the SG for a FLHTCU, still happy with my decision.
Just put an E3 on it's front, same great handling as the SG.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:54 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I traded an '11 Ultra Classic in on my '15 Limited and would do it again without question. The '15 Limited is the best bike I've ever ridden. It isn't perfect, but it's pretty close for my expectations. I think most of us have a wish list of changes/improvements we'd like to see, but most are very happy with the bikes. Most everyone I've talked to really like them, very few aren't happy after buying.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:57 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,655 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I just wanted to provide a slightly different perspective from someone that hasn't ridden a Rushmore model, but does own a pre-Rushmore touring bike.
With the downturn in the economy, I need to evaluate my major purchases before I commit my limited funds to a new vehicle purchase. For me, I need to see major changes before I'd upgrade my current HD touring bike. I previously owned a 2004 Ultra that was reliable and ran well. In subsequent years, HD released new features and enhancements, but nothing really interested me till 2009 when the new touring frame was introduced. By 2011, I saw enough of a change in the touring line-up that I wanted to upgrade.
Compared to the 2004 Ultra (62,000 miles), the 2011 offered the following features that appealed to me:
Upgraded frame
180 rear tire (besides looks, increased load carrying capacity)
6 Gallon Gas Tank
Brembo Brakes
ABS
Throttle By Wire
Isolated Drive System
96" Motor
6 speed tranny
Helical cut 5th gear
Exhaust routing change
New radio (HK)
Revised radio and CB antennas to shorter length
Tourpack now ABS
Revised lower fairings to vented style
Revised fairing air deflectors to adjustable

As you can see, the above items are significant. When I look at the new Rushmore bikes, I'm just not seeing as significant a change.

The changes I'm seeing (compared to my 2011 Ultra) are:

High Output Twin Cam 103 - for me, not much bang compared to my 96ci

Twin-Cooled High Output Twin Cam 103 - not really interested in water cooled. Besides, I don't want to give up the glove boxes. While the '96ci engine does get hot, it hasn't been an issue for me

New Hydraulic Clutch Control - while nice, haven't had any issues with a cable or current clutch feel

Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS - I do like this feature, a positive for me

Daymaker LED Lighting - Positive feature for me

Improved Front Suspension - Positive feature for me

Infortainment
Redesigned Tour-Pak and saddlebags
New Batwing Fairing with splitstream vent

From the list of the above changes, it doesn't appear the riding experience would change much. I'm also not convinced the new tour-pak and saddlebags are much larger. In fact, I've been told that one can fit more beer in the older version tour-pak.
I do plan to upgrade my front suspension/fork tubes and I'm currently running Ohlins #6 in the rear, so I'll have the handling/front suspension change covered.

Maybe I'l demo a Rushmore at the next Demo day event and my opinion will change, but from a feature point of view, I'm certainly not ready to upgrade my 2011 Ultra with 81,000 miles.

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 12-10-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

I upgraded from a 2003 Ultra Classic to a 2016 Road Glide Ultra. I am broke and very very very happy!

Simply put, this is the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden. Bar none.

Quick Reply: Do you hate your Rushmore?