Sponsored by:

Lost the CB antenna....again

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015 | 10:27 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain
Default Lost the CB antenna....again

2014 Ultra Limited CVO and this is the second time in a year I have lost the CB antenna out on the highway. After losing the first one I regularly check it for tightness. Both have been lost while out on the highway. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 11-24-2015 | 10:55 PM
rcrankin
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Nope. Have you added medium strength Loctite to the threads?

Old 11-24-2015 | 11:13 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Nope! I intentionally lost mine along with the FM antenna the day I bought my bike. But that's not the same.

You know what I'd think of doing if I were in your shoes. The loctite idea suggested might work but it may also interfere with the antenna's effectiveness so what I would consider is this... After installing a new antenna drill a very small diameter (1/16 or less) hole through the antenna base and the mounting stud. Then stick a pin in there so it can't unscrew.

Old 11-24-2015 | 11:18 PM
pswomack
Road Master

I stopped mine from coming loose by using a "Star" type locking washer from Ace Hardware under both antenna's! Also double wrapped the antenna's with a polishing cloth (so it doesn't mark or chew into the antenna's) and used a pair of pliers to tighten them a little snugger than hand tight.

Old 11-24-2015 | 11:22 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

I've not had that issue, but I've got the shorty antennaes on my bike. I do believe that 2Black1S idea is a good one. Another thought might be to use a thin internally serrated lock washer. Then tighten the Antennae enough to crush the lock washer as close to its exterior non serrated thickness as reasonably possible.

Old 11-25-2015 | 02:43 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Nope! I intentionally lost mine along with the FM antenna the day I bought my bike. But that's not the same.

You know what I'd think of doing if I were in your shoes. The loctite idea suggested might work but it may also interfere with the antenna's effectiveness so what I would consider is this... After installing a new antenna drill a very small diameter (1/16 or less) hole through the antenna base and the mounting stud. Then stick a pin in there so it can't unscrew.
This person obviously knows NOTHING about CB antennas.

Please do not do this...
A star washer is the right idea.

Old 11-25-2015 | 10:25 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

I had the opposite issue. I needed to remove my antenna and it was so rusted that it broke the stud off in the antenna.

Old 11-25-2015 | 10:39 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member

A rubber o ring will help lock it down also.

Old 11-25-2015 | 11:44 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
This person obviously knows NOTHING about CB antennas.

Please do not do this...
A star washer is the right idea.
I just love people that criticize an idea without stating any reason for the criticism. But you're right about one thing... I'm definitely not a CB antenna expert. Then again, I never claimed to be.

So now if you would, please tell me how you could determine my knowledge, or lack thereof, relative to CB antennas by my drill and pin suggestion; and also why it's not a plausible solution to the OPs problem.

Keep in mind that I never said that my idea was the only way to solve the problem and the OP must do it my way. I simply stated that it was something I would, and the OP, could consider.

And a big, hearty, sarcastic thank you for your input!

Last edited by 2black1s; 11-25-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-25-2015 | 12:10 PM
Its time to ride
Cruiser

I noticed mine coming loose a couple of times. I have now added the antennas to my pre-ride check. Star washer sounds like a good idea though...

Quick Reply: Lost the CB antenna....again