Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost the CB antenna....again

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015 | 08:01 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
A thin star should not affect the SWR enough to make a change.

Um, that was to set the SWR with...... not to keep it from coming loose.

Those that do not understand SWR, or what RF burn can do shouldn't be monkeying with CB equipment....

My Dad was a trucker in 1972... and we had an old tube base with a ground plane on the roof. He taught me the hows and whys by the time I was 9, and I've had at least one mobile unit in a vehicle since I was 16. I went through the linear phase, and I've had RF burns on my fingers....
Yeah, I get it. Not an expert by any means, but I get it.
I almost hate to post this because I'm afraid I'll offend...

A star washer or simple washer could change the antenna length which could have a minor impact on SWR. Would need to put it on a meter to be sure.
It's a minor concern but worth checking. Especially with the HD system as it's very low power and it's front end is not all that sensitive (efficient).

The old antennas did in fact have a base screw used for locking the antenna in place. The SWR setting was done in the antenna base coupler. This may have changed. I dunno.

The power output of the HD CB radio is really low at like 5 watts or something. It won't hurt you.
You're right on about trucker CB dangers though. Trucker hardware will burn you as those guys go 10's, 100's or even 1000 watt which is beyond legal. Something crazy like that. Respect.

I too am no expert but I did start my technical life as a Navy/USMC Electronics Technician for Ground Radio HF/UHF/Radar systems.
Had two years of electronics school/theory before ever hitting the fleet. A bunch of information I've mostly forgot.
The stuff I worked on will make you sterile or only have girl babies.

For the OP, I would just super glue the antenna to the base. Just at the bottom. Nothing on the threads.

Last edited by lp; 11-26-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2015 | 08:17 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
A star washer or simple washer could change the antenna length which could have a minor impact on SWR.
A thin star should not affect the SWR enough to make a change.
We basically said the same thing.

As long as your SWR stays below 3:1, you're fine. A star washer may change it .5-ish.

Worst part is a standard SWR meter won't screw in, and AFAIK, you have to go to the dealer to have it checked...

And I don't trust them to do it without hurting something. I don't imagine MMI teaches anything about CB's.

Old 11-26-2015 | 08:21 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

We basically said the same thing.

As long as your SWR stays below 3:1, you're fine. A star washer may change it .5-ish.

Worst part is a standard SWR meter won't screw in, and AFAIK, you have to go to the dealer to have it checked...

And I don't trust them to do it without hurting something. I don't imagine MMI teaches anything about CB's.
I bet they don't even have the tools and if they did, wouldn't have a clue what it did or how to use it...lol

"Hey Jim, how does this meter get attached on the end of the antenna?"

Yeah, lots of posts of the radio shack meters needing special couplers to mate to the HD system. In every case the couplers cost 10 times the meter...

Old 11-26-2015 | 08:30 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

"Um, that was to set the SWR with...... not to keep it from coming loose."

"The old antennas did in fact have a base screw used for locking the antenna in place. The SWR setting was done in the antenna base coupler."

So I guess that maybe I didn't deserve the "Um" .... Live and learn? ... Have a great Thanksgiving

Old 11-26-2015 | 10:08 AM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain

I was referring to drilling through and pinning don't think a star washer will hurt. In the old days guys use to drive a nail through a guys coax cable to ruin his set. Don't want to tie the antenna and ground plain together. But I admit limited knowledge here. Just answering why you might not want to pin through the base.

Old 11-26-2015 | 10:14 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

This person obviously knows NOTHING about CB antennas.

Please do not do this...
A star washer is the right idea.
Only if the loc-tite covers the whole thread.

Old 11-26-2015 | 12:56 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
I was referring to drilling through and pinning don't think a star washer will hurt. In the old days guys use to drive a nail through a guys coax cable to ruin his set. Don't want to tie the antenna and ground plain together. But I admit limited knowledge here. Just answering why you might not want to pin through the base.

I have a 14 FLHTK and I lost the CB antenna and the mounting stud. I don't know if it would be practical to try and pin the stud to the tour pak light assembly and then pin the antenna to the stud.

SCREW, SET, ANTENNA, M6-1.0, 20MM - 76000166

Old 11-26-2015 | 05:40 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

I looked around and in HD's antenna installation procedure they mention to use: LOCTITEŽ 262 THREADLOCKER on the threads. So theres that.

Old 11-26-2015 | 06:28 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
I looked around and in HD's antenna installation procedure they mention to use: LOCTITEŽ 262 THREADLOCKER on the threads. So theres that.
My CB was't working right when I first bought the limited. I checked the antennas and they were on the wrong sides. When I swapped them around I noticed the remnants of what looked like thread locker on the threads.

Old 11-26-2015 | 07:07 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
I have a 14 FLHTK and I lost the CB antenna and the mounting stud.
This is what happened when I lost the second one. First time it was just the antenna, this time it was the whole antenna and stud.

Quick Reply: Lost the CB antenna....again