Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost the CB antenna....again

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015 | 02:18 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain

The first one I lost was the stock antenna. The dealer is going to warranty the replacement. The second one was a shorty and I am hoping they will replace the shorty and not make me buy another one. Some good ideas and thanks for the input. Not thinking Loctite is the way I want to go.

For you knowledgeable CB folks.....Will adding a star washer have any effect on the SWR of the antenna?

Old 11-25-2015 | 02:48 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Nope! I intentionally lost mine along with the FM antenna the day I bought my bike. But that's not the same.

You know what I'd think of doing if I were in your shoes. The loctite idea suggested might work but it may also interfere with the antenna's effectiveness so what I would consider is this... After installing a new antenna drill a very small diameter (1/16 or less) hole through the antenna base and the mounting stud. Then stick a pin in there so it can't unscrew.
Originally Posted by SafetyMan
This person obviously knows NOTHING about CB antennas.

Please do not do this...
A star washer is the right idea.
I wonder if you remember the CB antenna masts from HD ( I know my 1992 FLHTCU had this ) that had a small set screw at the base of the antenna that could be tightened to keep it from coming loose??

Old 11-25-2015 | 02:55 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by yzernie
The first one I lost was the stock antenna. The dealer is going to warranty the replacement. The second one was a shorty and I am hoping they will replace the shorty and not make me buy another one. Some good ideas and thanks for the input. Not thinking Loctite is the way I want to go.

For you knowledgeable CB folks.....Will adding a star washer have any effect on the SWR of the antenna?
Good question. I haven't looked at an HD CB antenna to see how it is set up at the attach point. If it effectively lengthens the driven element then it will impact the SWR. Can't tell you how much.

Old 11-25-2015 | 03:21 PM
pswomack
Road Master

It didn't affect anything on mine, everything works as it should. The star washers that I used are very thin, they don't have to be real thick to effectively lock the antenna's down.

Old 11-25-2015 | 05:58 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member

Damn, ya'll made me make a trip out to the carport to check my antennas.

Old 11-25-2015 | 06:07 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pswomack
It didn't affect anything on mine, everything works as it should. The star washers that I used are very thin, they don't have to be real thick to effectively lock the antenna's down.
Good to know.

Old 11-25-2015 | 07:43 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain

It would ground out the antenna. Which will potentially ruin the CB finals. So I'm told back in the C.W. McCall days.

Old 11-25-2015 | 10:51 PM
yzernie
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
It would ground out the antenna. Which will potentially ruin the CB finals. So I'm told back in the C.W. McCall days.
Are you talking bout the star washer grounding it out?

Old 11-26-2015 | 07:39 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

A thin star should not affect the SWR enough to make a change.

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I wonder if you remember the CB antenna masts from HD ( I know my 1992 FLHTCU had this ) that had a small set screw at the base of the antenna that could be tightened to keep it from coming loose??
Um, that was to set the SWR with...... not to keep it from coming loose.

Those that do not understand SWR, or what RF burn can do shouldn't be monkeying with CB equipment....

My Dad was a trucker in 1972... and we had an old tube base with a ground plane on the roof. He taught me the hows and whys by the time I was 9, and I've had at least one mobile unit in a vehicle since I was 16. I went through the linear phase, and I've had RF burns on my fingers....
Yeah, I get it. Not an expert by any means, but I get it.

Old 11-26-2015 | 07:56 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
A thin star should not affect the SWR enough to make a change.

Um, that was to set the SWR with...... not to keep it from coming loose.

Those that do not understand SWR, or what RF burn can do shouldn't be monkeying with CB equipment....

My Dad was a trucker in 1972... and we had an old tube base with a ground plane on the roof. He taught me the hows and whys by the time I was 9, and I've had at least one mobile unit in a vehicle since I was 16. I went through the linear phase, and I've had RF burns on my fingers....
Yeah, I get it. Not an expert by any means, but I get it.

Um, that was to set the SWR with...... not to keep it from coming loose ... Not sure what the "um" means? You may be right, I'm not an expert either. ( I do have a Cobra CB 29 XLR with a Bi-Linear amp and a Firestick antenna and a "bootleg crystal" that I used way back in the day collecting dust in the garage) The set screw on the HD antenna didn't adjust the "mast" it was in the threaded base of the antenna. It could be that because it was a dual purpose antenna. ???

Quick Reply: Lost the CB antenna....again