Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King backrest on Chopped Tour Pak?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 01:36 PM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default King backrest on Chopped Tour Pak?

Put a new style HD chopped tour pak with the small backrest on my 2015 RGS. The wife hates the backrest. Has anybody put a King backrest on a chopped tour pak? Parts guy said no way.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:19 PM
fltrxcrzy
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You'll have to drill some different holes for it the fit. Also, IMO, it looks odd without the speaker pods.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:20 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

When i had my 04, i bought the chopped - wife also hated ipthe backrest - just changed out the lids - have you thought of that?

Just looked at my 2015 king lid - 4 screws / compare the two lids - not sure about the speakers?

Last edited by harley0711; 11-21-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:58 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

You probably went with the Chopped tour pack over the King because it looked better on the Street Glide. Now if you manage to find a way to install the King back rest, its going to over power the Chopped pack and look a little bulky. I thought the tour pack lids were the same on the Chopped and King. Where you are going to run into a problem is the clearance to the seat with the King back rest.Solution to that is to shim tour pack higher if the lids are the same.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:07 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If the lids are the same on both the king and chopped it should work, remember the back rest on the king tour pack does not cover the bottom bucket, (it over laps a few inches) that's why you see the extra piece of pleather hanging, to protect the bucket and the rider from rocks kicking up plus it looks nicer not seeing the bucket from the front of the bike.

Do you use the same mounting bracket for both the king & chopped or is the chopped mounting bracket more of a lower profile, that is where you may encounter a clearance problem, if they are different heights.

If the lids are the same, and the mounting bracket is the same height it should work, as far as speakers that's personal preference, the Classic does not come with rear speakers.

Sorry for the crapy pic, for some reason I cant upload pictures by computer anymore. But this will give you an ideal how much of the king bucket is still below the bottom of the back rest.

Last edited by TcHunter; 11-22-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Solex
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I didn't like the look of the large backrest without the speaker pods so I got to looking at how the detatchable pak and sissy bar will work together mounted at the same time. I think it looks much better that way, and my OL likes it better.
A few body plugs in the backrest mounting holes and it looks factory

Old 11-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 842 Posts

It doesn't look so bad. I had a mustang chopped backrest on for a while and gf hated it. With cage in her back, it vibrated way too much for her comfort. I bought a king from a member here and took my time to install on the chopped tourpak. Was kind of a pain drilling the holes but I looked at a factory pic of the tourpak lid mounting holes and went for it. She loves it. I didn't think I would like it but it looks good for me. I did like the mustang better but all the high pitch noise from the back is gone now. LOL

p.s. If I had to do it all over again, I would just go for the king tourpak because it cost the same money, more storage and holes already drilled.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:18 PM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I kinda feel the same way about the King backrest without the speaker pods. I saw that on Classics and I thought it just didn't look right. My wife is adamant about hating the speaker pods, she says she feels too confined. That is what kept me from buying a Limited or RG Ultra, and why I have spent so much $ turning my RGS into a version of those without the speaker pods! But, seeing how she has been on the back of the bike for almost every mile we have put on the last 3 bikes it's important to keep her happy.
So, unless I want to spend a lot more for a Corbin set up (they offer a higher chopped backrest, but I would have to get the seat to match) or I get one custom made, I am going to put the King backrest on.
Solex, got any pics of that rig?

Old 11-26-2015, 06:47 AM
Solex
Cruiser

I'll get out later today and got a pic of my king pak.
After seeing Magnuts backrest on the chopped pak, I really like the way it fits with the seat, might have to get a chopped bottom tour pak and swap lids.

Attached Thumbnails King backrest on Chopped Tour Pak?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Solex; 11-26-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:22 AM
Solex
Cruiser

Another pic, the taller backrest would probably look even better.

Attached Thumbnails King backrest on Chopped Tour Pak?-image.jpeg  

Quick Reply: King backrest on Chopped Tour Pak?