Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chroming or Polishing stock SG Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:48 PM
bill_1202
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chrome or Polished Stock SG Wheels?

I saw this pic below and I love the high shine chrome/black look and want to do this to my stock 14 SG wheels but don't know how to go about it. Is this rim below chromed and then painted/powder coated black again somehow or is this the stock aluminum polished to get this shine? If this is highly polished, would you have to tape it off and how do you buff it? etc. What is the best way to do this and how would you do it? Has anybody done this and if so, could you post pics? Thanks in advance for any ideas here.

Attached Thumbnails Chroming or Polishing stock SG Wheels?-rims.png  

Last edited by bill_1202; 11-04-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:13 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Contact Sport Chrome - maybe they can help you -http://www.sportchrome.com

Old 11-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Sport Chrome
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bill_1202
I saw this pic below and I love the high shine chrome/black look and want to do this to my stock 14 SG wheels but don't know how to go about it. Is this rim below chromed and then painted/powder coated black again somehow or is this the stock aluminum polished to get this shine? If this is highly polished, would you have to tape it off and how do you buff it? etc. What is the best way to do this and how would you do it? Has anybody done this and if so, could you post pics? Thanks in advance for any ideas here.
We've done something similar on the 14" and later Enforcer wheels. I'm posting an example here. I have to run to a meeting now. I will post in the next day with more info for you on what we offer.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM
bill_1202
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sport Chrome

We've done something similar on the 14" and later Enforcer wheels. I'm posting an example here. I have to run to a meeting now. I will post in the next day with more info for you on what we offer.

Thanks. I'm looking for the chrome/black look just like the original wheels only with the aluminum high polished or chromed (shinny)...

Old 11-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Sport Chrome
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=bill_1202;14549627]Thanks. I'm looking for the chrome/black look just like the original wheels only with the aluminum high polished or chromed (shinny)...[/QUOTE

Gotcha, for sure you would be best off having the whole wheel chromed, then finding a powder-coating shop willing to do the intricate masking to mimic the stock colorway.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 AM
bill_1202
Road Master

[QUOTE=Sport Chrome;14551934]
Originally Posted by bill_1202
Thanks. I'm looking for the chrome/black look just like the original wheels only with the aluminum high polished or chromed (shinny)...[/QUOTE

Gotcha, for sure you would be best off having the whole wheel chromed, then finding a powder-coating shop willing to do the intricate masking to mimic the stock color way.
I want the stock wheel but with the everything black stays black and just the exposed aluminum being chrome. Can you do that?

Last edited by bill_1202; 11-06-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=bill_1202;14551996]

I want the stock wheel but with the everything black stays black and just the exposed aluminum being chrome. Can you do that?
I think your best bet for that result is either 1) look into an aftermarket wheel in a similar design with a contrast cut, or 2) google the forums for a "how to" on polishing aluminum parts. There is a thread out there for restoring the heat fins on the jugs; I'd start there.

I think you'll be way too deep into the stock wheel after chroming alone, nevermind what the powdercoater will charge you in labor to mask all the stuff off and shoot.

GLWP.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Sport Chrome
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=bill_1202;14551996]

I'm afraid that would not be possible. The first step in the plating process is to strip any and all coatings from the wheel.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:25 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

I think the OP should look into aftermarket wheels - I think the result of which would be much better then trying to polish the stock rims....

Old 11-06-2015, 09:17 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a set of the HD chrome enforcers with the same thought in mind - spoke with the powder coater about it and his opinion of it is it would be risky as best for several reasons. For one - the chrome process tends to round off the nice sharp edges the stock wheels have (they are painted first, then machined which makes the lines perfect) and that makes keeping a clean, straight line difficult. He also thought it would be difficult masking it off since the tape used in PC doesn't bend the way masking tape does. His suggestion for the look I wanted was traditional paint where the complex curves can be masked properly. Either that or he just didn't want to do the job.

Quick Reply: Chroming or Polishing stock SG Wheels?