Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Monitor System on the new CVO

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015 | 01:36 PM
JakeUSAF
|
Tourer
Default Tire Pressure Monitor System on the new CVO

Wonder if there will be a way to up-grade the 14 and 15 Unit to the TPMS. It would be great to have that option on my bike.

Shaun

Old 11-01-2015 | 02:14 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

The answer is, unfortunately, "no". It was covered on here earlier in the year

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...ier-years.html

Old 11-01-2015 | 08:39 PM
rmc115
Road Master

Don't count it out forever, if enough demand they will develop something. Cvo's are always first then a couple years later other models get it. Will not be cheap if it happens, need sensors and stems, bcm and software. Mike

Old 11-01-2015 | 11:08 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

The answer is YES you can, however it will cost you over a grand to do so by the time it's done. My dealership called tech at HD and they went over all that was required to accomplish this on my 2015 Road Glide CVO. The Infortainment unit would also need to be changed out to accomplish this endeavor.

Old 11-02-2015 | 08:12 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cptdenny
The answer is YES you can, however it will cost you over a grand to do so by the time it's done. My dealership called tech at HD and they went over all that was required to accomplish this on my 2015 Road Glide CVO. The Infortainment unit would also need to be changed out to accomplish this endeavor.
The tire pressure is also visible in the odometer using the trip button. So perhaps one can just leave the stock infotainment system in place and just use the odometer.

Old 11-02-2015 | 10:42 AM
GaJayhawk
Tourer

An easy to install and effective aftermarket solution is FOBO. About $100 on Amazon. You manage it with an app on your Smartphone, so no separate device to carry around. Becomes even more convenient if you install their "T-valve stem" next time you change tires.

One downside is that it isn't integrated into Infotainment Center, but that wasn't a $900 downside to me. After 3 months, no complaints.

Old 11-02-2015 | 10:47 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Another misinformation from the phone operators at the mothership? Pretty sure I read the Infotainment system part number for the CVO is the same as the Limited. There is different software, but I believe the interface hardware is thru the BCM.

Old 11-02-2015 | 11:00 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by GaJayhawk
An easy to install and effective aftermarket solution is FOBO. About $100 on Amazon. You manage it with an app on your Smartphone, so no separate device to carry around. Becomes even more convenient if you install their "T-valve stem" next time you change tires.

One downside is that it isn't integrated into Infotainment Center, but that wasn't a $900 downside to me. After 3 months, no complaints.
Two things I would worry about, theft being one (I know there's a theft deterrent system but a dumb thief might not know that) and the other is they look kinda big, would they throw the tires out of balance? Did you get your tires re-balanced with the sensors in place?

Old 11-02-2015 | 11:17 AM
GaJayhawk
Tourer

They hold a CR2032 battery, so are slightly larger than that in diameter. If you are fixating on them while looking at the wheel, yes they are obvious. They use a lock-nut to keep them secure, but a knowledgeable and determined thief could get them. However, they would be worthless to him without the smartphone used to install them. The product specs will tell you specifically, but my observation was that the sensors are light and I installed them without any rebalancing.

I used FOBO on my stock rubber valve stems for a few thousand miles after first buying them, and had no balance issues...couldn't tell they were there. However, I decided to go to their steel T-valve when I replaced my tires. They tires/wheels were balanced after the new stems were installed, so again I don't notice them. Between the front rotors and fenders, and the saddlebags and pipes in the rear, I only occasionally see the stems. The T-stem valve eliminates the need to remove the sensor to add air at the top of the valve, and the 90-degree side valve eliminates the problem we all have filling the tire's with the OEM valve.

Last edited by GaJayhawk; 11-03-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2015 | 11:25 AM
Mad Monk
Cruiser

Only weighs 10 grams, but deflection is a potential issue. Moot point for me, with laced wheels, that puppy would never go on the rear wheel.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor System on the new CVO