Sponsored by:

Infotainment 1.19.1.1 Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:02 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,444 Likes on 8,420 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeymikey
Running this. Based on last talk with HD Case manager, this is due to incorrect voltage seen by the stereo. I am on 2nd replacement, so went back to dealer. They ran tests on all electrical connections and found no problem. [B]For fun tech installed "test" radio still running version 1.17.1 and it worked fine. Tech contacted HD Tech Service, CNA contractor and Harmen Kardon. They all had the same response..."we don't have the old software available.[B] Was in that business a long time, and never threw away possible back up software. HD tald tech there is another update due out in 2016...no commitment to a day or even month. Tech service also could not or would not tell him what the update will address. Tech only found 2 error codes for stereo. One showed historic, but the other showed loss of serial communications. It seem HD views the ECU connection as a serial port, so it is possible that this is causing the issue, but HD would never tell the tech or me where the voltage error is coming from. The tech even tried a factory reset from the stereo panel, but it actually did nothing, no change in any version of software/firmware. Shucks, it didn't even reset my radio station.
My new scare is that since this is not a universal problem, how long do I have before there is a bigger ECU problem. I even tried going through the BBB, Harley stonewalled it at Consumer Affairs. Even though I reported problems to my selling HD dealer, HD said that since I did not contact them until after the warranty expired I would have to deal with CNA, their extended warranty protection contractor. Sure wish I had someone on the inside who actually cared about the rider. I'm stating to think that many of the complaints about dealers showing up on other sites may be due to lack of support from the mother ship.
Check this out. Someone here on this forum posted the older software versions for the boom. It goes back to 1.17.4. You might give it a try.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...W8&usp=sharing

Old 12-01-2015, 10:44 PM
bikeymikey
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infotainment 1.19.1 Update

Appreciate the info, but all files are for the 6.5 Boom Audio.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:07 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

The oldest one that I have saved for the 4.3 is 1.18.3 if that helps.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:43 AM
bikeymikey
6th Gear

I appreciate the info, but need to go back to the original 2014 factory version to see the difference.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:39 PM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

can't you do a reset to original factory settings

Old 01-07-2016, 03:20 PM
bikeymikey
6th Gear
Default Infotainment 1.19.1.1 Update

Just thought I'd throw out the latest from H-D on this. I just got off the phone with one of the CS managers (Matt). Matt restated the theory that the unit defaults to FM, and resets Fade when it loses communications with a serial port. Unfortunately, pretty much everything looks serial to Boom. I am on the third head unit, and that is about all the techs are seeing on diagnosis...loss of serial communication. Right before the holidays, I turned my bike over to one of the best electrical guys in the area. After 3 hours of probing the electrics of this beast, he informed me that he could find nothing out of spec. I even tried the BBB of Milwaukee, but they were stonewalled by Consumer Affairs at H-D, who said I would have to go through their 3rd party vendor (CNA, or whomever) as I did not contact them prior to the warranty expiring. My point was that I had reported my issues to a dealer, who took no action; and that H-D should resolve the problem. Knowing that I am one of probably thousands dealing with this issue, and having plenty of time, I went one step further. I contacted the Wisconsin Bureau of Consumer Protection. It took them 31 days to respond, but they did, requesting additional information. I have all the work orders from the local dealers. My call today was to inform Customer Service that I had filed with the state, and that they asked for all related documentation. I requested that H-D provide me with copies of the three CS tickets that had been opened regarding my bike, and that I had discussed with them on past occasions. No surprise, H-D considers the CS tickets proprietary information and will not provide them, even to the affected customer without a subpoena. Could get interesting!!!

The short story is that even though H-D is into the 3rd model year of Boom Audio, according to Matt, they still do not have a root cause for this problem, and therefore cannot even do a SWAG on a resolution. They simply don't know, and Matt seemed to take it personally when I suggested that H-D should consider calling in a third party to resolve the issues that seem to befuddle H-D and them Boom folks.

Y'all have a great year.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:39 PM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 6.5 is working great, no complaints.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:54 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The AVC does not work on my bike. It quit after an upgrade to the Boom 1 amp and speakers. I did this upgrade within 6 months of upgrading the radio itself. Finally, I figured out all that had changed (from working to non-) was the dealer download was different. I brought this to the dealer's attention. They basically shrugged at that point and said I was 'out of warranty'. The service manager knew the score. And I knew the score, i.e., "buddy, you just got screwed on this."

In my opinion, issues surrounding the Boom Infotainment system define the HD universe as it stands today. Once they have your money they are not particularly interested in your satisfaction--provided they don't perceive any 'business' downside to leaving you hanging. Sort of a "it's our responsibility to abide by the law--to hell with honor, and character" corporate mentality. Of course they wouldn't characterize it that way themselves...and plenty of apologists for them, as well...the 'take the money and run' attitude is certainly one of their fundamental corporate components after you've stripped away all the fancy advertising, expanded stores, and rows of shiny bikes. I'm not saying they're any better or worse than any other corporation, or 'The Kardashians' for that matter, btw.

What's more important: Profit? Or treating people as you'd want to be treated? (I know, that has a biblical and/or religious context to it). Treating people well is a 'human' attribute. Corporations are only 'human' (individuals) when it comes to making political donations. It's all about the money. That, and the pretense that can be put up to obscure that single fact. And I'm getting 'preachy'. Sorry...

YMMV. But this is my impression of Harley-Davidson, based on my experience of HD as seen via their dealer.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 01-08-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:22 AM
Davidson Harley
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by merdahl
My 6.5 is working great, no complaints.
I really am happy for you. Mine sounds like sh*t any speed over 50. I;m not real happy about this. Had an 03 ultra with just a speaker upgrade, while it did not sound as good as this going slow or stopped. It sounded better over 50...I'm a little pissed off

and I just went and looked my bike has the 1.19.1 version

Last edited by Davidson Harley; 01-08-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:48 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeymikey
Just thought I'd throw out the latest from H-D on this. I just got off the phone with one of the CS managers (Matt). Matt restated the theory that the unit defaults to FM, and resets Fade when it loses communications with a serial port. Unfortunately, pretty much everything looks serial to Boom. I am on the third head unit, and that is about all the techs are seeing on diagnosis...loss of serial communication
Not sure if I understand completely, are you saying you had them change head units 3 times based on the system defaulting to FM on startup? Is that your only issue or are/were there other issues? Mine has done this since day one and I just figured that's the way the system worked, not saying it should work like that but just figuring that's the way it is...thanks!

Quick Reply: Infotainment 1.19.1.1 Update