Sponsored by:

Another GPS test

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 09:26 AM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another GPS test

Took a trip to the OBX in NC this Saturday. The weather was perfect for this day trip, which I did many times before. Since I never praised the GPS of my 2015 SGS for its perfection I thought I will put it thru another test. I chose a HD-dealer ship, which is located on the route down to Nags Head. It was listed in the POI, no problem. After pressing "GO" the system showed me the way. When I came close I could see the checkered flag approaching on the map. Then the lovely female voice said I arrived at the destination. Problem was the dealer ship was still a mile down the road. OK, another FU in the system. Happened to me twice before. Then I searched for a famous restaurant on HWY 158, of which I know its location, as well. To my surprise the system listed that restaurant even by name. So I pressed GO again and followed the route. Right after Kill Devils Hill the system told me to take a sharp left towards the beach. This was definitely not right. Out of curiosity I followed the route and sure enough, there was the flag. Miles off from the actual destination. I just shook my head in disbelief. What sorry a$$ piece of equipment is that? The MOCO should be ashamed to put something crappy like that in such a superior motorcycle. I think now it's time for them to come up with a FREE map and system upgrade to fix all these imperfections. And for all of you, who still defend this marvelous piece of technology I can only say this: You obviously don't know what even the standards of a low end GPS are. But I do love my SGS. And I mean it.

Last edited by thevirginian; 10-19-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:31 AM
Swany6mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine told me to take a left onto a non-existent road to my dealership. One might think that "Hey, it's for a road that used to be here" since the area has had all kind of road work and construction going on. Nope. The road it said to turn on never existed. At least it would have put me into the parking lot of the dealership.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

I do my route planning using Garmin BaseCamp. It is very good at having places very close to where they actually are. The differences in the base maps do cause a few routing problems from time to time. The map in the unit itself does have a lot of errors.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:20 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Pretty sad when Harley Davidson cant even get their own dealer locations right.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:33 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

I have to agree, been there, done that, this GPS has taken me on some wild adventures, but at times had worked great. ???, One time, I could see a dealership, simple rt hand turn, I was there, but it said to turn left. Many bad experiences, some good

Old 10-19-2015, 11:21 AM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hojones
Pretty sad when Harley Davidson cant even get their own dealer locations right.
Exactly my point too. They should be ashamed. But obviously greed is more important to them, than reputation. Otherwise they would have fixed at least their dealer locations by now.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:43 PM
drm0
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the poorest GPS units I have ever used!! Can't find roads or sends you on the wrong road! I just don't trust it!! Very disappointed. So this is what I do(see Pic)

drm0

Attached Thumbnails Another GPS test-2014-07-15-07.33.33.jpg  
Old 10-20-2015, 07:54 AM
Swany6mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drm0
One of the poorest GPS units I have ever used!! Can't find roads or sends you on the wrong road! I just don't trust it!! Very disappointed. So this is what I do(see Pic)

drm0
Not to go off subject, but, off subject, where did you get your painted dash, or did you paint it? Wouldn't mind having a paint matched dash like that

Old 10-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Eccool
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I was in Muncie IN and the gps told me the dealership was on the right. Of course, it was on the left. To be fair though, the people I was meeting just out of town in the middle of nowhere, the gps led me there flawlessly. Go figure; only Harley.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:15 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

Has the location accuracy been calibrated? In other words, does it show you where you're actually located correctly? I'm one of those crazy guys that likes the unit. It's been spot on every time and I use it a lot.

Quick Reply: Another GPS test