Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another GPS test

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:11 AM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

"Good thing that you knew where you were going.

Ain't that high-tech crap just marvy? "

jpooch00, you're absolutely right. Most the time I know where I am going and I don't have to rely on my GPS. But once a year I go on a trip with my buddy and we explore new territories. That's when I need my GPS. You want to find hotels, gas stations, restaurants, etc. Luckily my buddy has his Garmin mounted on his bike and he contradicted the accuracy of the HD-GPS quite often. Again, most of the erroneous information is stored in the POI menu, not the map. The map is only out dated by years, meaning new roads are not showing and you'll find yourself occasionally "off-roading".
What pi.... me off is that you shelled out 25K for an otherwise great bike and end up with the lowest of the low end equipment built in. I say it again, the MOCO should bow its head in shame for being so greedy.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:38 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by thevirginian
"Good thing that you knew where you were going.

Ain't that high-tech crap just marvy? "

jpooch00, you're absolutely right. Most the time I know where I am going and I don't have to rely on my GPS. But once a year I go on a trip with my buddy and we explore new territories. That's when I need my GPS. You want to find hotels, gas stations, restaurants, etc. Luckily my buddy has his Garmin mounted on his bike and he contradicted the accuracy of the HD-GPS quite often. Again, most of the erroneous information is stored in the POI menu, not the map. The map is only out dated by years, meaning new roads are not showing and you'll find yourself occasionally "off-roading".
What pi.... me off is that you shelled out 25K for an otherwise great bike and end up with the lowest of the low end equipment built in. I say it again, the MOCO should bow its head in shame for being so greedy.
Hey, they got your money. They couldn't care less whether you like what you paid for or not. Also, "shame" is a foreign concept at that company.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:04 AM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Hey, they got your money. They couldn't care less whether you like what you paid for or not. Also, "shame" is a foreign concept at that company.
Fool me once...

Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Swany6mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drm0
I took the insert that came with the chrome dash kit to a body shop. Was told HD paint is very tuff to match!! I think they did a very good job. Side by side you can see a slight tint difference. But with the black inner fairing it is not noticeable.

drm0
That is pretty slick. I don't want to buy one of the paint matched inner fairings from HD - 1) Don't want the ENTIRE think paint matched, just accented like your, and 2) painted inner fairs cost way too much lol

Old 10-22-2015, 10:18 AM
Swany6mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't quite follow your question. Am I supposed to calibrate this piece of junk myself, because I happen to be the owner of it? I can only hope and assume it is calibrated, since it shows the roads and streets accurately, most of the time. The problem obviously lies in the POI menu. On numerous occasions was it completely off track on my system. If somebody tries to explain to me it works flawlessly for him, he either does not understand what a GPS is supposed to do, or hasn't checked any POI in his system. What I also find a joke is the fact that the MOCO puts a three year old map in a brand spanking new bike. Now that is more than cheap and shows only how greedy this company really is.
I've used the POI, and other that what I stated here in an earlier post, so far, it's been spot on. Do I use the POI a LOT? No, but I never did with my TomTom or Garmin either (I'm more of a put the actual address in guy). So am I discounting what you are saying? Absolutely not. Only that, so far (knock on wood) it's been fine for me.

I will double check (if I remember) when I get home tonight, but I SWORE my map was dated 2014 on the '16 Limited I picked up a month ago (still old, agreed, but better than 2012). I know I've looked online and the only offering online was still the '12 map as well. I could be off and just saw a date that belonged to something else, but again, I swear it was the map.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have written & spoke to H-D personnel twice on the GPS especially about the dealerships in it. They told me the dealers must have sent wrong coordinates. I said what about 90% of the dealers sent bad coordinates. Then I informed them that it was a software issue. Since H-D still sells the Garmin Road Tech with the dealerships in it they have the same problem. Had a friend talk to Garmin about it & they sent him a fix for it. So I told H-D to get with Naviextras or whoever they deal with on the dealerships in GPS & sent a software update to fix it. That was a year ago & still no resolution to the problem. Very frustrating indeed.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:00 PM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kugie's HOG
I have written & spoke to H-D personnel twice on the GPS especially about the dealerships in it. They told me the dealers must have sent wrong coordinates. I said what about 90% of the dealers sent bad coordinates. Then I informed them that it was a software issue. Since H-D still sells the Garmin Road Tech with the dealerships in it they have the same problem. Had a friend talk to Garmin about it & they sent him a fix for it. So I told H-D to get with Naviextras or whoever they deal with on the dealerships in GPS & sent a software update to fix it. That was a year ago & still no resolution to the problem. Very frustrating indeed.
"The dealers must have sent in the wrong coordinates". Ha, Ha, Ha... that's the joke of the day. This excuse can't get any lamer than that. And what about all the other "wrong" addresses, such as Restaurants, Hotels, etc. that are way off??? They all sent in bad coordinates? Nobody sends in anything. As far as I am informed mapping companies sells their collected information to the GPS manufacturers.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:19 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

"The dealers must have sent in the wrong coordinates". Ha, Ha, Ha... that's the joke of the day. This excuse can't get any lamer than that. And what about all the other "wrong" addresses, such as Restaurants, Hotels, etc. that are way off??? They all sent in bad coordinates? Nobody sends in anything. As far as I am informed mapping companies sells their collected information to the GPS manufacturers.
No doubt the MOCO called in their most intelligent CS Rep to even be able to come up with that - as lame as it is!

What's that old saying? Something like: "Excuses are like a-holes, everybody has one and they all stink!

That company is run by idiots.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:29 PM
gwellis
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpooch00
No doubt the MOCO called in their most intelligent CS Rep to even be able to come up with that - as lame as it is!

What's that old saying? Something like: "Excuses are like a-holes, everybody has one and they all stink!

That company is run by idiots.
And YOU ride one of their sleds. What does that make you?

Old 10-22-2015, 09:40 PM
gwellis
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took a trip to the OBX in NC this Saturday. The weather was perfect for this day trip, which I did many times before. Since I never praised the GPS of my 2015 SGS for its perfection I thought I will put it thru another test. I chose a HD-dealer ship, which is located on the route down to Nags Head. It was listed in the POI, no problem. After pressing "GO" the system showed me the way. When I came close I could see the checkered flag approaching on the map. Then the lovely female voice said I arrived at the destination. Problem was the dealer ship was still a mile down the road. OK, another FU in the system. Happened to me twice before. Then I searched for a famous restaurant on HWY 158, of which I know its location, as well. To my surprise the system listed that restaurant even by name. So I pressed GO again and followed the route. Right after Kill Devils Hill the system told me to take a sharp left towards the beach. This was definitely not right. Out of curiosity I followed the route and sure enough, there was the flag. Miles off from the actual destination. I just shook my head in disbelief. What sorry a$$ piece of equipment is that? The MOCO should be ashamed to put something crappy like that in such a superior motorcycle. I think now it's time for them to come up with a FREE map and system upgrade to fix all these imperfections. And for all of you, who still defend this marvelous piece of technology I can only say this: You obviously don't know what even the standards of a low end GPS are. But I do love my SGS. And I mean it.
You have been pounding on this from the day you bought your scooter. I used the POI in the middle of nowhere for Clear Lake State Campground in northern Iowa and the Nav took me rite to the driveway. I punched in a Motel (POI) in Aberdene SD when I left Tomahawk WI. along with three other 2014 dressers using my waypoints I had created and loaded into the unit and it performed flawlessly from beginning to end of a 4500 circular trip using 2 lane and county roads. Question 1: do you know how to use your system? Question 2: if you feel it does not work correctly, why do you not take it to a dealership and have them fix it?
Statement: Quit your pissin and moanin or sell your sled and buy something your whiney a++ likes!

Quick Reply: Another GPS test