Checking air pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,296 Likes on 529 Posts
Default Checking air pressure

Did Harley hire an extra engineer just to figure out how to make checking air pressure or for Heaven sakes, put air in the tire AS HARD AS POSSIBLE???

I have a 14 Limited and doing this - should be simple task - is a major pain in the ***. The wife and I just want to enjoy the day off with a ride so I wanted to check the tire pressure as it is colder now. There has got to be a better way as none of my tire filling devices seem to fit. And if you have to use your hands, and I do, then there is no room.

Someone show, explain me a better way Oh, going for that ride now. Whoopee.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:44 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

I feel your pain. I bought a 90 degree adapter off of Amazon that should show up today. Hopefully that makes it easier. My bicycle pump has a 90 degree fitting but it is too big to fit in without bleeding half my air out trying to get it on. I bought a no leak 90 fitting that supposedly won't let any air get out which should help.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:45 AM
BillJ
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are on the right side of bike position the valve stem at the 7 o'clock to 7:30 position. I use a small air chuck that has the air fitting attached to the head and plug that into my air hose. As for an air gauge I have a Long Acre Racing digital air gauge that has a hose from the round digital read out and again the small air chuck on the end.

The valve stem is posited to the right on the center hump of the rear rim so checking and filling is easier done from the right side of the bike.

I have a J&S jack and that makes it even easier getting the bike up into the air.

This is the Long Acre tire gauge I have:

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...Gauge+0-60+psi

I use the small extra brass chuck that comes with it. That is the same style air chuck I use to fill the tires with air.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Try taking off the saddle bags

Old 10-12-2015, 12:53 PM
hotsun
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD makes a valve stem extension. It screws on the tires valve stem and the you can check pressure and add air if needed. Much easier than trying to get an of the fittings I have on the tire.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I know its just more money but Harley has a fill/gauge unit they sell. Its part number 12700096. Boardtracker online has it for 64 bucks. Harley wants 79. If u check your tires often and you should be, its cheap insurance. Losing a tire at 80 is never a good thing. Just mho.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:38 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

The 2014 is actually much easier than the earlier bikes. The wheels on my 2010 and 2012 bikes made it nearly impossible to use most tire pressue gauges.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:44 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Here is the best answer! Now I just look at my smart phone to check my air pressure!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...bike-tpms.html

Last edited by PFWiz; 10-15-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:45 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

+1 for PFWiz. I also recently installed FOBO monitors, and just had their "T" valve stems installed so I can inflate/deflate without removing the sensor. The upside is this new system works great. The downside is it will cost you about $130 for the FOBO and T-stems, plus installation of the stems. Worth it IMHO.

However, before FOBO, my solution to the PITA of checking and inflating my Limited's tire's was to buy a 6" valve extension hose for about $5 from AutoZone (or any of them). You screw one end into the valve stem, and then thumbscrew a small attached clamp on the free end to the brake rotor, so you have something to push against while pressing the air hose against the valve. I put a small rubber cap over the end of the thumbscrew so it would not scratch/mar my rotors. Works great and made tire pressure management much easier.

But FOBO & T- Valves is even easier than that....

Last edited by GaJayhawk; 10-12-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:49 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,296 Likes on 529 Posts

The valve stems on my 14 Limited are dead center. On the rim and point straight up. If they were angled it would be a snap. I am going to order 90 degree valve stems to install when I change tires. This gives me a reason to ride more to wear these tires out. Until then I will just shake my head and cuss a little every time I need to do this necessary chore. Thanks for support and suggestions.

Quick Reply: Checking air pressure