Sponsored by:

Question about planning a route for Infotainment GPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:01 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,578 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the Infotainment system before I buy one in a couple of months. I've used Basecamp and a Garmin 550 for years with a lot of luck! I'm determined to master this new system. I've been playing around with Harley Ride Planner and the "Locations" and "Waypoints" are throwing me off a little. It looks like if I use four locations in my route, I will actually have 3 different routes. If all three routes are downloaded into the system and I get to location 2, do I need to do anything for the route to continue to location 3?

I've tried converting the locations to waypoints, but then I lose the information about the location being a gas stop, etc. Any information will be helpful. Thanks!
Finalshot took the time to post this video and I hope it may clear up some of your questions:

The following users liked this post:
Casper (04-04-2017)
Old 08-11-2015, 07:07 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Custardglide
Forget the Rideplanner, it's more trouble than it's worth (IMHO) stick with Basecamp, it works just fine!!

Ady
Seems like everyone who likes Basecamp never mentions that in order to use it, you first have to own a stand alone Garmin GPS. Otherwise it will not work.
Not everyone has a Garmin unit. And I am certainly not going to buy one just to use Basecamp.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I just save all the addresses in my system the way I want to travel and change as go lot easier then Ride planner.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:20 PM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
Finalshot took the time to post this video and I hope it may clear up some of your questions:
HD Boom Route Import - YouTube
Thanks!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:05 PM
gwellis
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdkkart
I really don't know how much simpler Ride Planner could be?? Enter a start point, be it address, town, zip code, whatever you have, or simple right click on the map and click "add location".
Right click on an end point, click "add location" again, or use address, zip code etc.

Don't like the route it makes?? Click on the line to make a waypoint and the drag it to the road you want to use.

Yes, if you put in 4 locations along your route, once you arrive at the 2nd one it will automatically continue to the 3rd and 4th etc.

On the other hand, BaseCrap can't even find my next door neighbor's house half the time.
This!
I am having a hard time believing Folks are having a hard time with Ride Planner? ( yes I also have a Garmin) I can set a 1400 mile trip, with waypoint s on 50% county roads and the system worked great! Just my.02
I did write up on this forum of my 4200 mile trip using SGS nav. Worked perfect. I must just be lucky. (or spent a couple hours playing with the system in February)

Old 04-03-2017, 02:23 PM
dustoff54
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is a little older, but something I haven't found an answer to after spending hours looking at various threads. If you plan a ride on HD ride planner, what affect does "scenic, fastest, shortest, twisty" route preferences have on the trip uploaded from ride planner? If I select twisty or shortest, because I'm riding within 50 miles of the Dragon, it may take me on terrible 1 lane roads,........does anybody know what the HD definitions are for "scenic, fastest, shortest, twisty"?

Old 04-03-2017, 02:34 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 255 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by dustoff54
I know this thread is a little older, but something I haven't found an answer to after spending hours looking at various threads. If you plan a ride on HD ride planner, what affect does "scenic, fastest, shortest, twisty" route preferences have on the trip uploaded from ride planner? If I select twisty or shortest, because I'm riding within 50 miles of the Dragon, it may take me on terrible 1 lane roads,........does anybody know what the HD definitions are for "scenic, fastest, shortest, twisty"?
The general opinion is to leave it on fastest. Not exactly sure what the definitions are but your route (the Ride Planner route) should be guiding you from waypoint to waypoint so the boom settings shouldn't come into play. Only thing that MIGHT change is if you have say "scenic" set it might look for a "scenic" route from WP to WP...that's the way I understand it to work. I always leave it on fastest...

Old 04-03-2017, 04:59 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't have any issues with Ride Planner. If I want to take a specific route, I add enough waypoints to keep me on the path I want to take. Just have to make sure that your waypoints are actually on the road and not in someones backyard.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:35 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 338 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
I just save all the addresses in my system the way I want to travel and change as go lot easier then Ride planner.
Exactly how I do it. LOL.