non-recall SGS having clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 PM
odanrot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy non-recall SGS having clutch issues

Hey everyone,

Yep. I'm new here. But been riding Harley's since 2005.

Have a SGS with 398 miles on it (bought it with 2 just a very short time ago).

First week, clutch goes out and I take it into the dealer. Not a recalled bike based on my VIN. They bleed the line and it works fine. Next week as I start the bike, no clutch at all. Have it hauled to the dealer and still not on the recall list.

Now waiting on the "backordered" parts.

My question: my bike isn't on the recall. Is this a bigger issue that still hasn't been fixed?

I'm confident they'll fix mine as soon as the backordered parts arrive, but maybe other 2015 owners not on the recall should be extra careful starting their bikes.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:49 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

My confidence level is this:

If it is at Cowboys Alamo City HD or Javelina HD, I have no confidence.

Caliente HD or Gruene HD, it will likely be fixed correctly...

Howzzat for an answer?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by odanrot
Hey everyone,

First week, clutch goes out and I take it into the dealer. Not a recalled bike based on my VIN. They bleed the line and it works fine. Next week as I start the bike, no clutch at all. Have it hauled to the dealer and still not on the recall list.

My question: my bike isn't on the recall. Is this a bigger issue that still hasn't been fixed?

I'm confident they'll fix mine as soon as the backordered parts arrive, but maybe other 2015 owners not on the recall should be extra careful starting their bikes.
Yeah, same here with my '15 Limited.

The basic problem seems to be that the MOCO is not capable of designing a hydraulic clutch that works.

One of the brain-dead service writers I talked to said that "you're 'supposed' to pump the clutch 3 times before starting the bike the first time every day". Musta missed that when I read the owner's manual! I mentioned that I've never had to do that with any other hydraulic clutch system I've ever had and just got that vacant, thousand-yard-stare.

I just do that now and press on. Seems to be the only way to make these things work like every other hydraulic clutch on earth is expected to.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,837 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Just got back from 5000 miles of hot road with my 14 with it's two recalls installed. No problems with the clutch. Worked as expected.

OP will be fixed up. Hang in there.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Yeah, same here with my '15 Limited.

The basic problem seems to be that the MOCO is not capable of designing a hydraulic clutch that works.

One of the brain-dead service writers I talked to said that "you're 'supposed' to pump the clutch 3 times before starting the bike the first time every day". Musta missed that when I read the owner's manual! I mentioned that I've never had to do that with any other hydraulic clutch system I've ever had and just got that vacant, thousand-yard-stare.

I just do that now and press on. Seems to be the only way to make these things work like every other hydraulic clutch on earth is expected to.
I think I would of asked him about the interval in between time and seen what he said. If your on a highway and don't use the clutch for 100 miles or more do u pump it up again?

Old 08-11-2015, 03:26 PM
OldCMSgt
5th Gear
Default Clutch Leaking

2014 Limited with about 2600 miles. Took her in for both clutch recalls, the last recall was just in May 2015. The clutch always worked fine before and after the recalls. Last week the master cylinder sprays brake fluid all over my arm and down my left leg. Its leaking around the plunger seal, not the lid or the banjo bolt. Fluid is black and looks to contain metal. I quickly cleaned the fluid off the tank and it appears it wasn't on the paint long enough to do any damage. Called the dealer and had them come pick it up. Its now a week later and they haven't even looked at the bike.

Not sure why Harley can't get this simple master cylinder right. I had a 2002 KTM with a juice clutch for over ten years and never had one issue. That was a dirt bike that got beat through the woods and mud for thousands of miles. KTMs are made in Austria, I wonder where HD sourced our master cylinders.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:39 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TcHunter
I think I would of asked him about the interval in between time and seen what he said. If your on a highway and don't use the clutch for 100 miles or more do u pump it up again?
Haven't gone anywhere near that far without shifting gears.

Actually, if I just pump it a couple of times every day or two when I'm not riding it daily, it's always fine.

I've never found it anywhere near not working at all like it did after sitting for a week and when I started it up and put it into 1st. the clutch was fully engaged. The engine stopped immediately and the bike jumped forward. After that, I gave it about 20 pumps and it was back to normal and worked fine.

Later, I checked the VIN for the clutch recall & it wasn't on the list.

When I do pump it a couple of times, I first check the free travel of the lever and it's always been normal, as in very little to none, but I give it a couple of pumps anyway.

Last edited by jpooch00; 08-11-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:42 PM
-RocknRoll-
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odanrot
Hey everyone,

I have been in your exact same position. 5 weeks into ownership of my 15' SGS and after a 3-4 day stretch of not riding, no clutch. The bike did not reveal any recalls per vin but dealer treated it as though it did since the symptoms were identical. After waiting on "back ordered" parts to arrive and then be installed bike has not shown any clutch hiccups since. There is hope.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:15 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by -RocknRoll-
I have been in your exact same position. 5 weeks into ownership of my 15' SGS and after a 3-4 day stretch of not riding, no clutch. The bike did not reveal any recalls per vin but dealer treated it as though it did since the symptoms were identical. After waiting on "back ordered" parts to arrive and then be installed bike has not shown any clutch hiccups since. There is hope.
Just curious. Did the dealer just put a kit in the master cylinder, or did they replace the whole assembly?

I'll probably put a kit in mine this winter when I'm bored and it's too cold to ride.

Thanks,

JP

Old 08-12-2015, 06:32 AM
odanrot
2nd Gear

As an update, the backlog is apparently pretty bad. Looking at the part numbers in the replacement kit, the dealer said they can take the parts out of several other kits and cut the wait down. Waiting on the mother ship approval for this.

Interestingly, another 2015 not on the recall list is in the shop for the same problem. I think they'll be expanding the recall very soon. At least they should.

Quick Reply: non-recall SGS having clutch issues