Sponsored by:

2015 Ultra Low Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 06:54 PM
Cjacks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Ultra Low Review

I just returned from my week before roundtrip from NE Ohio to Sturgis. I had managed to put 1200 miles on my 2015 Ultra Low before I left. We (my daughter & I) rode another 3400 miles to, at, & back from Sturgis. I have ridden all types and brands of motorcycles over the past 50 years and would like to offer my experience with my latest bike, the new Ultra Low.
On the road at speed the bike ran & handled as well or better than any bike I have ever owned. Good power, good brakes, tranny shifted well, really enjoyed the radio, Navigation, & intercom. No leaks, nothing vibrated loose, and the stock seat was very comfortable. I think our longest day was around 575 miles. I was satisfied with the 45 mpg loaded down and two up.
Overall I am fairly satisfied with the bike but I do have 3 negative issues to report.
1) At slow speed maneuvers the bike was very difficult to control. I had to endure a low speed wobble each time I launched from stop. I weigh 190 and my daughter says she is 125 but we were a little heavy in the tourpak and on the luggage rack. I did my best to get the heavy stuff in the side bags. I may have had the rear suspension set a little stiff, but at speed the bike rode smooth and comfortable. Years ago I owned a goldwing and BMW K1200 Lt and although I didn't care for either bike, I don't remember them having this low speed handling problem. Just to much flexing & wobbling.
2) Excessive wind buffeting and head shake. I thought I had this figured out before we left. I added the 8" Flat Top LRS shield before we left. But the buffeting drove me nuts. I am starting to think it might be the new modular Nolan Helmets I bought, but I have been wearing Nolan helmets for 25 years. I don't remember getting my head shook like this on bikes that didn't have a fairing or a windshield. We were riding pretty fast at times, especially in SD. I really need to get this resolved before my next long trip.
3) I couldn't see very well at night and people kept giving me the brights with my low beams on. I don't ride much at night and my eyesight is probably not as good as it used to be. I was having trouble with this before we left so I had my dealer check the adjustment. Again I didn't have time to test the new settings before we left. That was a big mistake. I have heard good things about these new "day maker" lights. That has not been my experience. The high beams were useless. I am going to try to adjust them myself, I am even willing to buy brighter bulbs if there is such a thing. Either my dealer don't know how to adjust the headlight or these lights are no good. These are the worst headlights I have ever owned, except maybe for my Sears Riverside Moped.

Last edited by Cjacks; 08-07-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

I agree, the so called Daymaker headlight is a joke at night. It throws out a very white narrow focused beam which just doesn't work well on a motorcycle. Maybe on a rifle sight it would work well at night, but not on a bike. Well at least not the way Harley designed the Daymaker. I wonder what overpaid clown at Harley gets to dream up such stupid inaccurate names for some of their products. And I guarantee, they have someone who does just that.

Keep the passing lamps on, it helps a bit.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:50 PM
Cjacks
Advanced

I would like to clarify my comments about the low speed maneuver problems. I do not have this problem when I ride solo and the bike is not loaded down.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:25 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I actually think my Limited Low is one of the best handling low speed bikes I ever owned! The low center of gravity handling is amazing for a bike of this size.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:01 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,399 Likes on 8,415 Posts

The 2015 Limited Low is the most nimble full dresser ever in my opinion. It is a pleasure to ride. Big, big improvement over the 2010 Ultra Classic that I traded in.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Cjacks
Advanced

Superglidecustomman,
Do you ride two up with a load or just solo? My bike handles well one up. But I know instability when I experience it. Maybe I had it loaded down to much, maybe something is wrong with my bike. Maybe I went to far calling it a wobble. I will say it wasn't quite as bad once we arrived and I took almost everything out of the trunk and side bags.
But again I have ridden a lot of bikes and a lot of miles and I have never experienced anything quite like this while riding two up. I am going to experiment a little and see what others have to say. Fortunately 90% of my riding is solo so it might not be that big of a problem. If my daughter goes next year I will just tell her she needs to lose 25 pounds and can only take one change of clothes.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Try getting your steering head bearings checked for tightness. My Limited Low used to be steady as a rock taking off & stopping. At 7500 miles it's feeling loose & floppy, I think it's the steering head.

I would take it to the dealer but the mechanics are in Milwaukee at They All Do That class.